• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice re the Camino Portuguese

Tom Kat

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese 2017
Hi Guys
I've got some free time over the next week so on the spur of the moment I'm planning to walk the Camino Portuguese from Vigo to Santiago commencing on Sept 13th for 5 days. I have a few quick questions.
Which is the best route for picturesque countryside and away from busy traffic? Any suggestions for overnight accommodation? I don't mind paying a little more for a quality hotel room with shower? I plan to use my smart phone for maps/directions rather than carry maps/books. Any advice re this point?
Thanks in anticipation.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good choice. I walked this almost exactly a year ago having started in Lisbon. Getting out of Vigo was a bit of a trial but once on my way all went well. The waymarking is really clear so you will easily find your way. F rom Vigo to Redondela is a very pretty walk and also an interesting walk although busier out and on to Arcade where I stopped for the night. I stayed in a quaint wee hotel, Isape, which was more than adequate. That is only about 22km but I didn't feel like walking the extra 13km to Pontevedra which I'd did the next day, arriving in time for pilgrim mass and with plenty of time to explore that great little town. Between Arcade and Pontevedra there is a very picturesque side trip on the left just after Capella St Maria, look for sign Rio Tomeza. If you have the time from Pontevedra take the Espiritual at least to Villanova where you can get a ferry to Catiora and rejoin the route at Padron. Otherwise the walk from Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis is still through pretty countryside, woodlands and vineyards. In Padron try to make the time to climb Monte Santiaguino. I was weary when I got to Padron so once more stayed in an hotel, Rosalia out of town by the railway station. Albergues are all good but after 32 days I was needing some alone time. From Padron to Santiago it is all super hype time, exciting, varied walking conditions from sweet wee villages that you weave your way through to some road walking. I always took every variation offered and never got lost, after all you are basically going north. Fabulous experience. Have fun, explore and good luck.

Good choice. I walked this almost exactly a year ago having started in Lisbon. Getting out of Vigo was a bit of a trial but once on my way all went well. The waymarking is really clear so you will easily find your way. F rom Vigo to Redondela is a very pretty walk and also an interesting walk although busier out and on to Arcade where I stopped for the night. I stayed in a quaint wee hotel, Isape, which was more than adequate. That is only about 22km but I didn't feel like walking the extra 13km to Pontevedra which I'd did the next day, arriving in time for pilgrim mass and with plenty of time to explore that great little town. Between Arcade and Pontevedra there is a very picturesque side trip on the left just after Capella St Maria, look for sign Rio Tomeza. If you have the time from Pontevedra take the Espiritual at least to Villanova where you can get a ferry to Catiora and rejoin the route at Padron. Otherwise the walk from Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis is still through pretty countryside, woodlands and vineyards. In Padron try to make the time to climb Monte Santiaguino. I was weary when I got to Padron so once more stayed in an hotel, Rosalia out of town by the railway station. Albergues are all good but after 32 days I was needing some alone time. From Padron to Santiago it is all super hype time, exciting, varied walking conditions from sweet wee villages that you weave your way through to some road walking. I always took every variation offered and never got lost, after all you are basically going north. Fabulous experience. Have fun, explore and good luck.
Hi Margaret. Thank you very much for that wonderful and very insightful itinerary. You make it come alive. Looking forward to it already. TK.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Guys
I've got some free time over the next week so on the spur of the moment I'm planning to walk the Camino Portuguese from Vigo to Santiago commencing on Sept 13th for 5 days. I have a few quick questions.
Which is the best route for picturesque countryside and away from busy traffic? Any suggestions for overnight accommodation? I don't mind paying a little more for a quality hotel room with shower? I plan to use my smart phone for maps/directions rather than carry maps/books. Any advice re this point?
Thanks in anticipation.
Take the Variante Espiritual leaving Pontevedra. The Camino de Agua y Piedras along that road isn't magically, spectacularly beautiful.

I used the Brierley guide 2016 and found it more than adequate. It has since been updated and looks great. I followed as many of the mentioned alternative routes as possible and found some gems. I also researched before I left home and added some variations of my own.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back