• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice re transportation Coastal Route - Portugese

Time of past OR future Camino
booked to do Lugo-Santiago June 2018
Hello, I have just returned home having hiked 296 miles of the Camino Frances from Saint Jean. I came home early due to a serious blister and the incredible heat at night time in the alberges. I don't really get blisters nowadays after years of trial and error. Unfortunately this time, one day, I tried some gel metatarsal pads for the pain I get in the balls of my feet when doing through hikes. Never again! one of these pads caused a huge blister on the ball of my foot, the other i had taken out earlier due to discomfort. After 8 days of pain with the blister, limping along with the help of ibuprofen I gave in, and used Alsa bus to efficiently get me to SCQ to fly home.
I am planning on returning in Sept but with my wife. My wife walked the Primitivo with me in 2019. She now has some back issues which limit her walking distance. Our plan is, Sept because it might be a pleasant temperature, and to walk from Porto 7 or 8 days along the coastal route. Limiting her distance to about 10 miles each day. My question is which bus companies or train companies give easy transportation from points along the coastal route back to Porto ?? Many thanks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello, I have just returned home having hiked 296 miles of the Camino Frances from Saint Jean. I came home early due to a serious blister and the incredible heat at night time in the alberges. I don't really get blisters nowadays after years of trial and error. Unfortunately this time, one day, I tried some gel metatarsal pads for the pain I get in the balls of my feet when doing through hikes. Never again! one of these pads caused a huge blister on the ball of my foot, the other i had taken out earlier due to discomfort. After 8 days of pain with the blister, limping along with the help of ibuprofen I gave in, and used Alsa bus to efficiently get me to SCQ to fly home.
I am planning on returning in Sept but with my wife. My wife walked the Primitivo with me in 2019. She now has some back issues which limit her walking distance. Our plan is, Sept because it might be a pleasant temperature, and to walk from Porto 7 or 8 days along the coastal route. Limiting her distance to about 10 miles each day. My question is which bus companies or train companies give easy transportation from points along the coastal route back to Porto ?? Many thanks.
Sorry to read about your misfortune in having the foot problem. Can I please ask why you wish to return to Porto from diffefent points? Do you not intend to walk from Porto to SCQ?

There are buses that go along frequently along the main roads from town to town. Use Rome2Rio,com and you can find out which buses serve the towns you want to travel among. You can also get a taxi pretty easily I bet, just ask in any cafe and someone can call a cab for you. Buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry to read about your misfortune in having the foot problem. Can I please ask why you wish to return to Porto from diffefent points? Do you not intend to walk from Porto to SCQ?
Hi Lindy Loo, simply because on a previous Camino we were told the Portuguese Coastal is beautiful and relatively easy to walk, and as my wife currently has spinal issues only intend to walk a max of 10 miles (16km) a day. I will return alone to continue from Leon from where I finished a few day days ago.

Hi Ian!
Used Rome to Rio last year on the coastal worked for me schedules were accurate plus prices!
The Coastal is more or less pretty much flat for miles and i found the boardwalks pretty easy on the feet as they have a bit of give/spring in them. (they were repairing/replacing some of them when i walked but i think they all should be finished now)
I did wonder if walking on them might soften the impact on your wife's back.
Also as far as i remember not many cobbles along the coast. (others may know better; i was wearing Stinsons so already 6 inches of the ground:))
Buen Camino
Woody

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Ian!
Used Rome to Rio last year on the coastal worked for me schedules were accurate plus prices!
The Coastal is more or less pretty much flat for miles and i found the boardwalks pretty easy on the feet as they have a bit of give/spring in them. (they were repairing/replacing some of them when i walked but i think they all should be finished now)
I did wonder if walking on them might soften the impact on your wife's back.
Buen Camino
Woody
Thanks Woody.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back