• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice re weather

Kayleen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept 2019)
18 of us are arriving in SJPDP on Saturday and starting our walk on Sunday. We are going as far as Pamplona this year with the intention of coming back yearly until we have completed the journey.

Can anyone advise on the predicted weather for next week. I appreciate that we are crossing the Pyrenees and that the weather will be unpredictable there but just in general what is the weather currently like

Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is for Roncesvalles: 100% chance of rain, but this might be during the night, for example, and it is hard to tell how much rain would fall. Judging by the smaller chances on Monday, it seems it would be most likely during the first half of the day. Still, Pyrinees are beautiful with rain too! Snow forecast at 2300m

1566984865768.png

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And below is the Meteoblue forecast for the Col de Bentarte on Sunday 1 September 2019. Predictability is 75%. Check again in the evening before and on the morning of the walk. Col de Bentarte is the top of the Route Napoleon. It doesn't look bad, maybe a bit of rain, maybe not, and not a lot of strong winds or wind gusts either but low clouds (see their meteogram) and hence perhaps not much of a view.

Col de Bentarte.png

Viewweather.com also has a detailed forecast for the Col de Bentarte.

Last edited:
I start walking in Sunday too. Am hoping the forecast dries up a bit.

And below is the Meteoblue forecast for the Col de Bentarte ...
@Kathar1na, thanks so much for posting these two very useful weather sources! I was not aware of either of them but have now added the apps to my phone. The meteoblue grids and additional info (5-day meteogram with visuals for temperature, precipitation, and wind) on the webpage are great!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nobody can predict the weather in the Pyrenees.
Chances are it will be sunny, rainy, windy, hot, and cold.
Just go ready to layer, have rain gear, and enjoy the walk!
Walking in the rain this time of year can be wonderful, actually!

Nobody can predict the weather in the Pyrenees.
The detailed short term weather forecasts (1-3 days) for the pass are quite accurate, especially when you pay attention to what the symbols and numbers and visuals actually mean. I consider them as very useful.

@Kathleen and her group are planning to walk from SJPP to Pamplona only. You don't pack equipment and clothing for all eventualities for a whole month in this case. At least I don't.

And below is the Meteoblue forecast for the Col de Bentarte on Sunday 1 September 2019. Predictability is 75%. Check again in the evening before and on the morning of the walk. Col de Bentarte is the top of the Route Napoleon. It doesn't look bad, maybe a bit of rain, maybe not, and not a lot of strong winds or wind gusts either but low clouds (see their meteogram) and hence perhaps not much of a view.

View attachment 64044

Excellent site for wherever you are, thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
these two very useful weather sources! I was not aware of either of them but have now added the apps to my phone. The meteoblue grids and additional info (5-day meteogram with visuals for temperature, precipitation, and wind) on the webpage are great!
I learnt about these two weather services thanks to the Pilgrims Office in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Viewweather is the one that they are linked to on their website and I think they have a daily printout in their office, and I believe they used Meteoblue earlier. What I like about Meteoblue is that they clearly indicate the predictability and they also have a Multimodel page which is useful to look at when predictability is medium or even lower.

Last edited:
The detailed short term weather forecasts (1-3 days) for the pass are quite accurate, especially when you pay attention to what the symbols and numbers and visuals actually mean. I consider them as very useful.

@Kathleen and her group are planning to walk from SJPP to Pamplona only. You don't pack equipment and clothing for all eventualities for a whole month in this case. At least I don't.

Thanks for those two weather links, Katharina. They look very useful.
I admit saying "nobody can predict the weather" was a generalization I often use. ;)

While short term weather predictions may be useful, in the 13 times I've walked over that pass, I've seen all sorts of weather, often unexpected until the day before. I always check the night before I walk it. Most people must pack longer than 1 to 3 days before leaving for their trip. Even if I were walking only from SJPP to Pamplona, I'd be prepared to layer, even in August/September. But that's my opinion :🤷: People should do whatever makes their hearts happy.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.