• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice requested about route selection with limited time available

abzambroza

Time of past OR future Camino
Currently booked to start my first Camino Frances on 5th August 2016 starting from Pamplona.
I am starting on my very first camino at the beginning of August would appreciate some advice about how to make the most of the days I have available.

Basically, I am flying into Biarritz on the 4th, and will have to return, from the same airport on the 28th (and changing the flight is not really an option, for various reasons).
My current plan is to bus it over to Pamplona on the 4th and start from there on the 5th. Given the small amount of time available, and the fact that I will have to spend the whole of the 27th travelling back to Biarritz from wherever I end up, I’ve only really got 21 days (as I would have to stop walking on the 26th, really). So it’s obvious that I won’t be able to do the whole of the camino, even from Pamplona. I have no intention of doing a Randall St. Germain, though I do give him credit for doing the whole camino in 20 days, it’s just not what I want to do nor do I believe I would physically be able to.

I could of course only go as far as I can up to the 26th and then just travel back, to complete at a later date, but I actually really would like to make it to Santiago, even if I didn’t walk the whole route but skipped parts of it (and I suspect that later date is unlikely to come about for quite a few years to come). I’m also quite wary of the fact that it will be busy, probably very busy, and would ideally like to avoid the Sarria to Santiago route. So one idea I’ve been playing with is to walk the Frances up to a certain point, say Leon, and then travel up to Ferrol and walk the Camino Ingles to Santiago.

However, not having any real experience of the details of the route beyond the reading a few books, I’m wondering whether doing it this way I might be missing some especially worthwhile routes and places after Leon. Would it be better to cut out certain other sections (eg. the Meseta, which in August is likely to exceptionally blistering), but stay on the Frances until say Ponferrada rather than Leon?

Here’s where I’d appreciate some advice from some more experienced Peregrinos. If you only had 21 days (not counting travel to and from the airport), and wanted to make it to Santiago, but still have a significant and memorable walking experience, what route would you take? What sections would you definitely want to walk, and which ones do you think it might be ok to miss? I kind of like the idea of the swapping the Ingles for the Sarria route, so I’m mainly talking about cutting outs bits of the Frances up to that point.

I should perhaps also mention that I’m in my early 50s, not unfit, but not supersporty either. I’ve in the past lived in the Spain (in Granada) and hence know that I can tolerate the heat quite well. I’ve had the odd training day in preparation, but my walking is normally limited to taking the dog out for a couple of hours each day, which I now do with my full backpack :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You are complicating things for yourself quite a lot ;-)
You want to arrive in Santiago.
You have ~21 walking days available.
You told us your age and approximate fitness level so I would say you can do an average of 20km a day.

Which gives you a starting point ~400km away from Santiago (without rest days).

Have a look at which of the Caminos appeals to you and which starting point there you could reach without too much hassle. Get the bus/train to reach it and just start walking ;-)

Pilgrimage is an experience of an ongoing way, skipping parts of your planned Camino interrupts that experience imo. So, just start closer to your destination ;-)
Buen Camino, SY

So one idea I’ve been playing with is to walk the Frances up to a certain point, say Leon, and then travel up to Ferrol and walk the Camino Ingles to Santiago.

Hi, probably not enough time to do that in 21 days without rushing it. The only reason for flying into Biarritz (as far as I can see) is to get to St Jean Pied de Port. So just start there and walk 21 days. Then you have a reason to go back to where you left off :). If it takes a few years, so what?, Santiago will always be there. Jill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Pilgrimage is an experience of an ongoing way, skipping parts of your planned Camino interrupts that experience imo. So, just start closer to your destination ;-)

I fully agree with that, since you want to reach Santiago. Otherwise, the other suggestion is equally good and then you continue to Santiago another year...

In case you haven't got it, here's a list of all the caminos:
http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/

Buen camino, whatever you choose :)

Thank you for all your advice, the wisdom of which is getting through here... I guess I have a bit of a horror of the huge numbers people are talking about from Sarria, hence my thought of switching elsewhere - getting away from throngs of people is one of the main draws for me doing the walk. I will have a look at the other routes to see if any of them are practicable. I had looked at the Norte but was concerned that it was considered a lot more physically challenging (I know it shares some of the final route with the Frances, but it would be 2 rather than 5 days).

Hmmm, food for thought...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'd suggest deciding a place to start, then being on that particular camino for 21 days. Trust that somehow you will have the camino experience that is right for you. Accept who is there and what occurs as somehow being perfect.

Thank you for all your advice so far. I've mulled this over and have to decided to start from Logrono (I have a friend who lives nearby in Fuenmayor), and just see where the camino takes me.

I'm still open to cutting out sections if I find that I struggle with certain parts of it, but I can see that it would be best to just pick a place and start walking. I didn't want to start just 400km before Santiago, although I think that is an excellent suggestion, because, thinking about it I realised that rather than absolutely making it to Santiago I really wanted to experience some of the quieter earlier stages. I also particularly wanted to walk through La Rioja, which I know from previous visits, so which it will be nice to revisit it as a peregrino.

Now, if someone could give me some advice about how to get from Biarritz to Logrono that would be great, but I think I'll ask that as a separate question (I know it involves taking buses via San Sebastian, but I think I will need more details about where they leave from as the booking sites are a bit nebulous on this...)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Now, if someone could give me some advice about how to get from Biarritz to Logrono that would be great, but I think I'll ask that as a separate question (I know it involves taking buses via San Sebastian, but I think I will need more details about where they leave from as the booking sites are a bit nebulous on this...)

Transports 64 bus #816 Euskadi Express from Biarritz Airport to Gare d'Hendaye. Some buses terminate at Irun Renfe Station. Hourly.

Donostialdea Metro from Hendaia (colocated with Gare d'Hendaye) to Irun Colon. Every half hour.

Cross the bridge over the tracks to find Irun Renfe Station.

Renfe train from Irun to Logrono. There is a transfer at either Castejon de Ebro or Miranda de Ebro. Several daily.

Or

Estellesa bus from Irun Renfe station to Logrono. Twice daily.

Bus from Biarritz to San Sebastián (aka Donostia) with www.pesa.net or with www.alsa.es/en In both cases, at Biarritz, you can take the bus either at the airport (if you arrive by air) or at Charles Floquet avenue. Alsa's buses arrive to the bus station in San Sebastián and Pesa stop too at the bus station in San Sebastián but Pesa buses make previously another stop in San Sebastián (at Bizkaia Pasalekua) so be sure you get off at the bus station.

Bus from San Sebastián to Logroño with www.laestellesa.com They depart from the bus station in San Sebastián, if I'm not wrong.

Brilliant! Thanks very much for your help, Castilian and whariwharangi (interesting name, and nice place, as I've seen after a quick google :) ).
I am always amazed by the amount of detailed and thorough information available on this forum!
Really helpful!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The new bus station in San Sebastian is located next to the Renfe station. So you can catch either the train or the bus from San Sebastian to Logrono.

I've not been able to confirm Estellesa is leaving from San Sebastian bus station. The bus station is new and Estellesa might not yet have moved operations from the old outdoor bus exchange at Plaza Pio XII.

I am a bit of a purist and think everyone should walk the whole thing. Getting that out of the way, with limited time, I would start in St Jean and do the first 2 days. I think they are a great way to introduce the feeling of the Camino and is a good walk as long as the weather is cooperative. If it is going to be rainy or cloudy, then you could skip it as it is a long walk with nothing to see.. I would then look at Brierley's book and taxi, bus, what ever, over a few of the less attractive sections that are along highways and through industrial areas. Walking from just past Larrasona into Pamploma could easily be skipped to Cizur Menor, unless you want to see Pamploma. That would save 1 day. Some people skip the walk from Burgos to Fromista (2 days) because they don't want to walk the meseta, I personally like that area. The walk from Fromista to Carrion is along the highway, easily skipped. The walk into Leon and out of Leon to Virgen is through city streets mainly and easily skipped, a taxi or bus in to see Leon and bus or taxi out could save you time. The walk from Villa Franca to Vega de Valcarce is along a road and could be skipped, leaving you to do the the walk up O'Cebrreiro which is tough but good to do. From O'Cebreiro to Tricastella is a long down hill slog. From the next town, Sarria, you need to walk the whole thing for a Compestella certificate. If you are not worried about that, the walk around the airport from Arca/Pedrouzo until you get into Santiago is again through city streets and not interesting. So my suggestion is you can get part of the feeling of the whole Camino Fances by using transport to skip some parts on the way to reduce the usual 32 days to what you need. Remember that a days walking is only 20-30 km and is done in less than hour in a car or on a a bus. You could use transport to finish in 1 day what the walkers would take 2 or 3 days to complete. You could easily walk part of a day and skip part of one day and part of the next, if you think it is uninteresting.I know it's cherry picking but if you want to see the whole thing, this would do the trick. I've had friend walk it in 23 days because he was short of time but I think the long 8-9 hour days takes away from it. I like following a a 30-32 day schedule because you will be meeting many of the same people from day to day and will form friendships. People on the Camino are most interesting, and meeting and getting to know them is a big part of the journey. Remember, this is your journey and you have to look at what you want to get out of it. All the suggestions; starting closer to Santiago; jumping to a closer less used route; or skipping through parts are all valid depending on what you want to get out of it. Don't let anyone but your own thoughts and heart pursuate you. Keep an open mind and Buen Camino

Thanks Allan, I understand what you're saying and that (starting at SJPP) was what I was going to initially when I thought I'd have more time available (at one point, I thought I'd have another week which would have brought my total time to a month). However, I'm pretty sure that I would really struggle with the Pyrenees and it is my first time. I'm not really fit, and I've only got such a short time, hence I thought it better to skip those initial parts that could endanger the whole experience for me. I know that the first few days are going to be hard whatever, but I do believe climbing a huge mountain in those two days (which I know most other people do) is yet another experience, which I'm happy to leave for the next time when I can take more time. I'm sure the later mountains will be easier to cope with after having done some long stages. I also totally get that it's important to walk at a pace that matches many others to get that sense of 'family' that so many people are talking about. I'm not sure I'd be physically capable of doing 35-40km days anyway, certainly not initially, and I'm not planning on a race, so the usual 20-25km is what I'm what I'm aiming for (though we'll see how I do in reality :D). The whole point of it for me is to reconnect with some really basic stuff, getting to places by simply putting one foot in front of the other while carrying all my belongings for the whole trip, spending a whole day outside whatever the weather, finding somewhere to sleep for the night, sharing a (for me unusual) experience with others, but at the same time escaping the hustle and bustle of modern life, and most importantly giving me the time and space to think about and reevaluate my life.

Thanks very much also for giving me some suggestions for deciding on potential sections to skip if that's what I choose to do. This is actually what I was thinking originally, and I appreciate your thoughts on this. I'm not sure yet about the meseta, but I know I would probably kind of like it, too, but even though I've in the past been ok with superhot weather, I think it's important to make a judgment call on this when it actually comes to it (it will be August after all, and so could be easily 35-40 degrees if it's a hot summer, with little shade). Skipping sections through industrial areas and following the main road is definitely worth considering as that would be more in line with my wish of getting away from it all...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The new bus station in San Sebastian is located next to the Renfe station. So you can catch either the train or the bus from San Sebastian to Logrono.

I've not been able to confirm Estellesa is leaving from San Sebastian bus station. The bus station is new and Estellesa might not yet have moved operations from the old outdoor bus exchange at Plaza Pio XII.

Thank very much for taking the time to have another look. I've dug around a bit myself and have come across the following schedule, which would suggest that the Estellesa buses are now leaving from opposite the Renfe station (or certainly the one bus I need): http://ventas.laestellesa.com/ruta.asp?servicio=320&orig=0157&dest=0085
Thought I'd post this here for future reference and in case it might be useful for somebody else.

I am a bit of a purist and think everyone should walk the whole thing. Getting that out of the way, with limited time, I would start in St Jean and do the first 2 days. I think they are a great way to introduce the feeling of the Camino and is a good walk as long as the weather is cooperative. If it is going to be rainy or cloudy, then you could skip it as it is a long walk with nothing to see.. I would then look at Brierley's book and taxi, bus, what ever, over a few of the less attractive sections that are along highways and through industrial areas. Walking from just past Larrasona into Pamploma could easily be skipped to Cizur Menor, unless you want to see Pamploma. That would save 1 day. Some people skip the walk from Burgos to Fromista (2 days) because they don't want to walk the meseta, I personally like that area. The walk from Fromista to Carrion is along the highway, easily skipped. The walk into Leon and out of Leon to Virgen is through city streets mainly and easily skipped, a taxi or bus in to see Leon and bus or taxi out could save you time. The walk from Villa Franca to Vega de Valcarce is along a road and could be skipped, leaving you to do the the walk up O'Cebrreiro which is tough but good to do. From O'Cebreiro to Tricastella is a long down hill slog. From the next town, Sarria, you need to walk the whole thing for a Compestella certificate. If you are not worried about that, the walk around the airport from Arca/Pedrouzo until you get into Santiago is again through city streets and not interesting. So my suggestion is you can get part of the feeling of the whole Camino Fances by using transport to skip some parts on the way to reduce the usual 32 days to what you need. Remember that a days walking is only 20-30 km and is done in less than hour in a car or on a a bus. You could use transport to finish in 1 day what the walkers would take 2 or 3 days to complete. You could easily walk part of a day and skip part of one day and part of the next, if you think it is uninteresting.I know it's cherry picking but if you want to see the whole thing, this would do the trick. I've had friend walk it in 23 days because he was short of time but I think the long 8-9 hour days takes away from it. I like following a a 30-32 day schedule because you will be meeting many of the same people from day to day and will form friendships. People on the Camino are most interesting, and meeting and getting to know them is a big part of the journey. Remember, this is your journey and you have to look at what you want to get out of it. All the suggestions; starting closer to Santiago; jumping to a closer less used route; or skipping through parts are all valid depending on what you want to get out of it. Don't let anyone but your own thoughts and heart pursuate you. Keep an open mind and Buen Camino

I think that a purist would start from their own front door.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You could try staying at the Alb Parroquial Santiago El Real in Logrono to begin the process of immersing yourself in your Camino experience. Enjoy!

I thought I'd report back what I ended up doing having now actually been out on my cut down first Camino. First of all, thank you very much, Dancing Rain, for your recommendation. I had actually had a room booked for my first night, but as things rarely go to plan in my life these days I not only ended up flying out one day later than planned but also spending two extra days in Bilbao thanks to Vueling airline that had lost my luggage! But on a positive note, this gave me the opportunity to finally visit the Guggenheim museum, which I'd been wanting to do for years!

Thank you also to every single one of you who replied for their advice and recommendation. You were of course spot on, but sometimes you just have to learn the hard way ;)...

So I finally reached Logrono 3 days later than planned and was very happy for a recommendation for a place to stay, and I loved it, for exactly the reason that you suggested, Dancing Rain, so thank you again!

So I did start in Logrono on the 8th August, and am frankly glad I did as I took a good few days just to get used to the extended walking carrying a far too heavy pack (more on that one later!) and I have no doubt the Pyrenees would have killed me right on the outset, particularly given my lack of real preparation. Now, having done the nearly 3 weeks of walking I feel a lot more confident tackling them, providing I keep up at least a bit of walking until my next time (and there will definitely be a next time - I'm already looking to plan it, plus a few shorter multi-day hiking trips more local to me).

My pack was far too heavy and I ended up sending back the equivalent of a third of it in weight, spread over 3 different parcels sent on different occasions during the first 10 days in. Whoever says go for 10% of your body weight is spot on, though I did meet some people carrying relatively heavier packs without too many problems, but they were much fitter than me and usually male... Truth is, you really don't need a lot! This time I took a 40lt Osprey Exos 38 pack (M/L size), and frankly, I've just bought a 25L pack which I believe will be sufficient for the summer trip I'm planning for doing the Leon to Santiago section, hopefully next year...

I was lucky to have very few problems with my feet, none shoe related, and my joints were fine, too, though I did use a knee brace prophylactically on a couple of occasions and am glad I did! This was only required until I reduced my pack weight to the 10% ratio, after which I had no more problems and passed the brace on to a fellow peregrino who needed it more than me (and was not prepared to reduce his 14kg pack weight significantly). I used the Bracoo brace, which I believe is excellent to have handy and to pass on to others (in the spirit of sharing) as it's cheap and fully adjustable.

So, what did I do about route selection, the topic of my original question?: well, I only had 23 days in total to start out with, which were cut short to 20 due to initial delays. In the end, I did have two rest days (3 if you count an extra day in Santiago), so I 'only' walked from Logrono to Leon in 17 days, just over 300km, then took a Blabla car to Santiago, where I spent a couple of days, and then travelled back. The only section I used public transport for before Leon was the journey into Burgos, and I'm grateful I did - I'm not a purist myself! Though next time, I'd probably try to find the alternative river route :). My average walking day ended up being 17-18km, my longest day was 30km (after which I needed a rest day!), and in the last week, on the flat of the meseta, I merrily did several days of 25km without problems. I found my capacity for the day was closely related to how well I'd slept the night before (the main problems being, in order of disruption potential: 1) being too cold (I'm acutely sensitive to cold), 2) being too hot, 3) high noise levels (Sahagun during a fiesta!), 4) having an uncomfortable and/or smelly bed (honestly, some places...)).

Throughout my initial week or so, I was still planning on cutting out sections and travelling on by transport, but in fact I did get into the walking, I did meet some people regularly who I realised I would miss leaving behind, and frankly, I ended up really, really enjoying the Meseta, particularly the first half of it. The walk out of Castrojeriz over the Alto de Mostelares was one of the highlights of my camino (bearing in mind that I didn't get to do the Pyrenees nor Galicia), second only to the Montes de Oca, which I also loved! People who are cutting out this section to travel to Fromista are really missing out, I think!

I really, really enjoyed the hot weather, which gave me no trouble at all (though I do admit to withering slightly on the section from Hornillos to Hontanas at 34 degrees), and in truth really did not want to leave behind the blistering sunshine which we oh so rarely get in England where I live. In fact, a lesson for me was that I don't do well in low temperatures (as low as 3-6 degrees Celsius in various places on the morning I left Granon), which was when I really struggled - though granted, if travelling at other times of year I might have entirely different clothes and equipment and am likely to cope better.

But finally, I do agree it's above all a journey and the destination will still be there in years to come. I met many people, mainly Spanish but also some French, who did the Camino in several 2-300km sections over a number of years, so why not me!

I'm now looking to see when I could plan in the first section to Logrono, which shouldn't take too long for an experienced peregrino - might even be able to fit it into my son's autumn school hols :D

So, thank you again, everybody for you help and advice! I really appreciate it, particularly now actually having gone and done it!!! Thank you!!! xxx

Last edited:
I can tell you, I just walked Burgos to Hontanas today, and that 5 km to Hontanas sign is a lie. :D I swear it was really 10 km in the 35 degree heat . :p I was so happy to have my hands free umbrella with me to provide my own shade. I could have sold dozens today!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I can tell you, I just walked Burgos to Hontanas today, and that 5 km to Hontanas sign is a lie. :D I swear it was really 10 km in the 35 degree heat . :p I was so happy to have my hands free umbrella with me to provide my own shade. I could have sold dozens today!
Tell me about it! It was one of the most challenging sections without a doubt, second only to crossing the Alto Matagrande after Ages/Atapuerca, which, with those rough rocks and lack of shade, I found a true walk of penance in the afternoon heat - I'm not religious but I thanked God when I reached that cross! Did you have that public service van going up and down the Hontanas track making sure people had enough water? That walk into Hontanas does seem to go on for ages, and then you have that really dangerous (though short!) descent to negotiate when you're on your last legs (one of the most dangerous ones on the Meseta, I'd say...). I sure was glad to arrive, but then decided after lunch to walk on to Castrojeriz for another 10km.... too much of a holiday camp atmosphere for me in Hontanas :D - wish I'd stopped in San Anton on the way, though, which is meant to be a truly special (though back to basics) experience... Next time :)

Last edited:
BTW, just noticed: Burgos to Hontanas is an impressive distance!!! 32km!! Well done to you for covering that in one day!

Tell me about it! It was one of the most challenging sections without a doubt, second only to crossing the Alto Matagrande after Ages/Atapuerca, which, with those rough rocks and lack of shade, I found a true walk of penance in the afternoon heat - I'm not religious but I thanked God when I reached that cross! Did you have that public service van going up and down the Hontanas track making sure people had enough water? That walk into Hontanas does seem to go on for ages, and then you have that really dangerous (though short!) descent to negotiate when you're on your last legs (one of the most dangerous ones on the Meseta, I'd say...). I sure was glad to arrive, but then decided after lunch to walk on to Castrojeriz for another 10km.... too much of a holiday camp atmosphere for me in Hontanas :D - wish I'd stopped in San Anton on the way, though, which is meant to be a truly special (though back to basics) experience... Next time :)

Nope, no van today. I think it got hotter than expected today.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I thought I'd report back what I ended up doing having now actually been out on my cut down first Camino. First of all, thank you very much, Dancing Rain, for your recommendation. I had actually had a room booked for my first night, but as things rarely go to plan in my life these days I not only ended up flying out one day later than planned but also spending two extra days in Bilbao thanks to Vueling airline that had lost my luggage! But on a positive note, this gave me the opportunity to finally visit the Guggenheim museum, which I'd been wanting to do for years!

Thank you also to every single one of you who replied for their advice and recommendation. You were of course spot on, but sometimes you just have to learn the hard way ;)...

So I finally reached Logrono 3 days later than planned and was very happy for a recommendation for a place to stay, and I loved it, for exactly the reason that you suggested, Dancing Rain, so thank you again!

So I did start in Logrono on the 8th August, and am frankly glad I did as I took a good few days just to get used to the extended walking carrying a far too heavy pack (more on that one later!) and I have no doubt the Pyrenees would have killed me right on the outset, particularly given my lack of real preparation. Now, having done the nearly 3 weeks of walking I feel a lot more confident tackling them, providing I keep up at least a bit of walking until my next time (and there will definitely be a next time - I'm already looking to plan it, plus a few shorter multi-day hiking trips more local to me).

My pack was far too heavy and I ended up sending back the equivalent of a third of it in weight, spread over 3 different parcels sent on different occasions during the first 10 days in. Whoever says go for 10% of your body weight is spot on, though I did meet some people carrying relatively heavier packs without too many problems, but they were much fitter than me and usually male... Truth is, you really don't need a lot! This time I took a 40lt Osprey Exos 38 pack (M/L size), and frankly, I've just bought a 25L pack which I believe will be sufficient for the summer trip I'm planning for doing the Leon to Santiago section, hopefully next year...

I was lucky to have very few problems with my feet, none shoe related, and my joints were fine, too, though I did use a knee brace prophylactically on a couple of occasions and am glad I did! This was only required until I reduced my pack weight to the 10% ratio, after which I had no more problems and passed the brace on to a fellow peregrino who needed it more than me (and was not prepared to reduce his 14kg pack weight significantly). I used the Bracoo brace, which I believe is excellent to have handy and to pass on to others (in the spirit of sharing) as it's cheap and fully adjustable.

So, what did I do about route selection, the topic of my original question?: well, I only had 23 days in total to start out with, which were cut short to 20 due to initial delays. In the end, I did have two rest days (3 if you count an extra day in Santiago), so I 'only' walked from Logrono to Leon in 17 days, just over 300km, then took a Blabla car to Santiago, where I spent a couple of days, and then travelled back. The only section I used public transport for before Leon was the journey into Burgos, and I'm grateful I did - I'm not a purist myself! Though next time, I'd probably try to find the alternative river route :). My average walking day ended up being 17-18km, my longest day was 30km (after which I needed a rest day!), and in the last week, on the flat of the meseta, I merrily did several days of 25km without problems. I found my capacity for the day was closely related to how well I'd slept the night before (the main problems being, in order of disruption potential: 1) being too cold (I'm acutely sensitive to cold), 2) being too hot, 3) high noise levels (Sahagun during a fiesta!), 4) having an uncomfortable and/or smelly bed (honestly, some places...)).

Throughout my initial week or so, I was still planning on cutting out sections and travelling on by transport, but in fact I did get into the walking, I did meet some people regularly who I realised I would miss leaving behind, and frankly, I ended up really, really enjoying the Meseta, particularly the first half of it. The walk out of Castrojeriz over the Alto de Mostelares was one of the highlights of my camino (bearing in mind that I didn't get to do the Pyrenees nor Galicia), second only to the Montes de Oca, which I also loved! People who are cutting out this section to travel to Fromista are really missing out, I think!

I really, really enjoyed the hot weather, which gave me no trouble at all (though I do admit to withering slightly on the section from Hornillos to Hontanas at 34 degrees), and in truth really did not want to leave behind the blistering sunshine which we oh so rarely get in England where I live. In fact, a lesson for me was that I don't do well in low temperatures (as low as 3-6 degrees Celsius in various places on the morning I left Granon), which was when I really struggled - though granted, if travelling at other times of year I might have entirely different clothes and equipment and am likely to cope better.

But finally, I do agree it's above all a journey and the destination will still be there in years to come. I met many people, mainly Spanish but also some French, who did the Camino in several 2-300km sections over a number of years, so why not me!

I'm now looking to see when I could plan in the first section to Logrono, which shouldn't take too long for an experienced peregrino - might even be able to fit it into my son's autumn school hols :D

So, thank you again, everybody for you help and advice! I really appreciate it, particularly now actually having gone and done it!!! Thank you!!! xxx

You're welcome!! I'm pleased it worked out well.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back