• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice required please 😊

Amyheathfield36

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to do September 2020 starting at Ponferrada
Hi everyone, i have decided to do the Camino in September 2020 with my Step mum. I am 36 (im pretty active, gym 2-3 times a week, dog walks etc) & Step mum 62 (prob fitter than me walks everywhere & gym 5 times a week) i live in the UK & She lives in Spain (Malaga) we have the Simon Green book and thought we’d do this route starting at Ponferrada we have planned on 9-10 days, but could possibly do another day or 2. What i would like to know is any advice/opinions on this route? Or is there a better route around the roughly the same days/kms? Any other books or maps recommended? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much for reading. Amy 😊

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi everyone, i have decided to do the Camino in September 2020 with my Step mum. I am 36 (im pretty active, gym 2-3 times a week, dog walks etc) & Step mum 62 (prob fitter than me walks everywhere & gym 5 times a week) i live in the UK & She lives in Spain (Malaga) we have the Simon Green book and thought we’d do this route starting at Ponferrada we have planned on 9-10 days, but could possibly do another day or 2. What i would like to know is any advice/opinions on this route? Or is there a better route around the roughly the same days/kms? Any other books or maps recommended? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much for reading. Amy 😊

Welcome to the forum Amy! Lucky you walking with your step mum!

First of all I take it that you mean walking the Camino Frances from Ponferrada? And I take it it is your first time? If so then the route would be an excellent choice. Lots of infrastructure (cafe's, lodgings etc) for someone on Camino for the first time.

I usually walk that stretch - Ponferrada to Santiago in about ten days.

I use the maps only version of the Brierley guide. I don't know the Simon Green book.

Anyway it is a lovely walk from Ponferrada or Astorga.

Best wishes and Buen Camino

Davey

EDITED because I made a boo boo

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Welcome to the forum Amy! Lucky you walking with your step mum!

First of all I take it that you mean walking the Camino Frances from Ponferrada? And I take it it is your first time? If so then the route would be an excellent choice. Lots of infrastructure (cafe's, lodgings etc) for someone on Camino for the first time.

I usually walk that stretch - Ponferrada to Santiago in about six days, slowly. If you had 10 -12 days Astorga may be longer but do-able too.

I use the maps only version of the Brierley guide. I don't know the Simon Green book.

Anyway it is a lovely walk from Ponferrada or Astorga.

Best wishes and Buen Camino

Davey

Ahhh great wasn’t sure if it was the Camino Frances name or not! I’ve been a bit overwhelmed by all the information online, so thats why I thought i would join this to get advice & answers to my specific questions 😁 i shall have a look at Astorga. So if i get a book Camino Frances that will cover those areas? Thanks for your reply & advice 👍🏼

I make that about 37km per day. Might be slow but those are pretty long days! I usually average about 30km and most people think I am certifiable. Do you do the Fan Dance for light relief? :cool:

Ha Ha! Yeah I was reading the pages in Brierley in the wrong order!

Ponferrada to Santiago for me is 10 days usually!

Sorry! I'm daft.

Don't want to do the Fan Dance ever again thanks!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ahhh great wasn’t sure if it was the Camino Frances name or not! I’ve been a bit overwhelmed by all the information online, so thats why I thought i would join this to get advice & answers to my specific questions 😁 i shall have a look at Astorga. So if i get a book Camino Frances that will cover those areas? Thanks for your reply & advice 👍🏼

9-10 days, start in Astorga at the most. The two days out of Astorga are (relatively) challenging. Best to get a Camino Frances guide first and do some reading. There is sometimes too much information available. Opinion is divided as to the better guides - personally I find Brierley sufficiently accurate and accessible.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Don't want to do the Fan Dance ever again thanks!

Never having been - or wanted to be - one of ‘them’, the Fan Dance ( if we’re talking about Hereford-based aggressive camping) was never a concern of mine.

Is there a community starting to form here?

9-10 days, start in Astorga at the most. The two days out of Astorga are (relatively) challenging. Best to get a Camino Frances guide first and do some reading. There is sometimes too much information available. Opinion is divided as to the better guides - personally I find Brierley sufficiently accurate and accessible.
Thanks Henry, yes i think you are right! I’ve had information overload. I have just ordered a guide from the shop on this site. So i shall just stick with reading that & looking on here for information i think.

Never having been - or wanted to be - one of ‘them’, the Fan Dance ( if we’re talking about Hereford-based aggressive camping) was never a concern of mine.

Is there a community starting to form here?

I had nowt to do with THEM. Some nutter in our mob thought it would be 'fun'. Once a year thing. Not at their pace though!

There are a few of us about. Lots of Yanks ex forces too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Starting from Ponferrada actually gives you two options: the popular Frances or the Invierno. The Frances takes you up a long beautiful hill to O'Cebreiro, a lovely spot right out of Tolkien's shire. The Invierno (the winter route- so named as it is lower altitude and avoids some winter madness) is increasingly popular and has much less crowds ... but also less infrastructure (cafes & albergues). There are some good threads with descriptions of it ... @peregrina2000 knows it well.

Have fun with the planning.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was also thinking of mentioning the Invierno route but the consensus of most veterans on this forum (am I wrong?) is that most first-timers should walk the Camino Frances first.

Yes and no. My first was Geneva - Le Puy - Leon - San Salvador - Primitivo. But I am a walker. Met quite a few first timers on the Primitivo. Met no first timers on the VDLP though. I have a soft spot for the Frances, I love it. But I do think for a first Camino it is a good choice, breaking in gently and all that. Does not mean you HAVE to do the Frances first. So I don't think 'should walk the Frances first' is something I would say.

I think I just waffled there a bit!

Davey

So I don't think 'should walk the Frances first' is something I would say.
You are right there Davey. I shouldn't have written should. Maybe "first-timers would find the Camino Frances an easy way to introduce themselves to the various caminos" would be a better way to put it.

You are right there Davey. I shouldn't have written should. Maybe "first-timers would find the Camino Frances an easy way to introduce themselves to the various caminos" would be a better way to put it.

Yeah. If you have not done any long hiking before, or a bit nervous of being in a strange new land, or haven't ever been on your own before, the Frances may be best. Though if you are a tad adventurous, starting from Moscow in January might be great. If you are an Eskimo or a Lapplander maybe. Or just mad.

I'm joking obviously Rick!

Nowt wrong with the Invierno though!

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did my first camino from Le Puy, with a Miam Miam DoDo guidebook purchased that morning. The friend of the camino rep at the first dorm in Le Puy nicely concealed his thoughts of the dubiousness of my capacity to manage 😉. I managed well enough because I was determined to get to SDC, and I keep going back for more.

Amy and step-mom need to decide what kind of experience they want. I too love the Frances, but it's good to have choices.

I agree with the others. Start with the Frances. It has good trails, plentiful albergues, is very scenic in this section and you will meet more lovely people along this route.
Always remember, it's your feet that will get you there! Wear good socks and shoes and change your socks at mid-day.
One deviation I would recommend here is taking the "alternative" route via Samos, out of Tricastela to Sarria. It is one of the most lovely sections of the entire Camino, in my opinion. After Samos, you can make it past Sarria and I'd recommend staying at a little farmhouse in La Rente called Casa Nova (casanovaderente.com). Wonderful stop!
Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back