• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice: Restart Camino from SJPP or from where I left off 5 years ago?

elviento

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
I attempted to trek all of Camino Frances in Spring 2017. Much to my disappointment and surprise, I only made it halfway due to severe bedbug bites (or maybe an allergic reaction to indigenous flies) which resulted in puffy, oozing blisters the size of American quarters all over my legs and arms. Even though I had endured many blisters and bites up until this point, these were sharply different, and my gut and logic told me if I continued on, they would surely get infected. Needless to say, I made the sad decision to end my journey in Caririon de los Condes and I took a train to Santiago de Compostela. I told myself at the time, there is a reason this is happening, and I am supposed to return to The Camino someday....

Fast forward, I am contemplating returning to the Camino this fall! I always thought I would pick up where I left off, but now a part of me is wondering if I should restart from SJPP. Time is not a factor.

My question: Any thoughts on my starting point, especially from those who were in a similar situation?
Follow up question: If you were in a similar situation, do you feel you were called back to The Camino for a reason?

Thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I attempted to trek all of Camino Frances in Spring 2017. Much to my disappointment and surprise, I only made it halfway due to severe bedbug bites (or maybe an allergic reaction to indigenous flies) which resulted in puffy, oozing blisters the size of American quarters all over my legs and arms. Even though I had endured many blisters and bites up until this point, these were sharply different, and my gut and logic told me if I continued on, they would surely get infected. Needless to say, I made the sad decision to end my journey in Caririon de los Condes and I took a train to Santiago de Compostela. I told myself at the time, there is a reason this is happening, and I am supposed to return to The Camino someday....

Fast forward, I am contemplating returning to the Camino this fall! I always thought I would pick up where I left off, but now a part of me is wondering if I should restart from SJPP. Time is not a factor.

My question: Any thoughts on my starting point, especially from those who were in a similar situation?
Follow up question: If you were in a similar situation, do you feel you were called back to The Camino for a reason?

Thank you!

Time is not a factor? That, to me, says go back to the beginning.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

If it were me, and if I had the time, I’d do what @jpflavin said. I did have to stop walking on the Vdlp about 15 years ago, in Cáceres. For me, the urge to walk from Sevilla-Santiago was a much bigger pull than thinking that Sevilla to Cáceres plus Cáceres to Santiago equals Vdlp. I stayed in different places, met different people, and had different weather, and for me the fresh start in Sevilla was the way to go.

I walked the CF in 2016. Then, in 2019, my wife and I had only a couple weeks to be in Europe and as she had not walked the Frances, we headed to SJPP and had enough time to walk to Burgos before having to head home. I have to say that I enjoyed walking this part of the CF for a second time. Maybe it was because I had done other Caminos between the two stints of the CF, but my memories of those first stages of the Frances were not as strong as I thought they would be. Sure, lots of familiar places, but also a lot of new experiences making the trek thoroughly enjoyable and new!

So, if time is not an issue, restart your Camino in SJPP. One thing that was different for me the second time was that we went via Valcarlos in 2019 which was another great hiking day in the Pyrenees. We also took a rest day in Pamplona just to enjoy the city and to indulge in some delightfully delicious tapas! Since five years has passed since you were there, I think that starting again at the beginning is worth some thought. Buen Camino!

Thank you!
I'd pick up from where I left off...then get to Porto and walk the Portugues route. That way, you'd complete 2 Caminos.

But, you have to "hike your own hike" and make it your own. That said, you'll love the portion from Astorga to Sarria...it's a great section.

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Perhaps these words will help you decide.

"The end of one journey is simply the start of another. You have to see what you missed the first time, see again what you already saw, see in springtime what you saw in summer, in daylight what you saw at night, see the sun shining where you saw the rain falling, see crops growing, the fruit ripen, the stone which has moved, the shadow that was not there before. You have to go back to the footsteps already taken, to go over them again or add fresh ones alongside them.You have to start the journey anew. Always"
Jose Saramago, A Journey to Portugal

I always thought I would pick up where I left off, but now a part of me is wondering if I should restart from SJPP. Time is not a factor.
I think it depends on whether you would like a 3-week Camino or a 6-week Camino, or even something in between.

Have you figured out any strategies to manage the situation with insects that you encountered before?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thank you!
You and I almost stopped at the same place. I had 3 weeks to do it last winter and made it as far as Astorga. I knew I had to complete the rest at another time. I ended up finishing it this past May. Unlike you, it was not a forced stop. I actually planned to complete it in about the same timeframe this year but opted to do in the spring hoping it might be cooler. It was mainly hot.

It really depends on what you want to accomplish (finish vs starting over) and whether the difference in seasons matter. The stages after Astorga tend to be longer and more physically demanding imo. Oh so beautiful though.

So if you decide to continue where you left off and have time on your hands, maybe do it slower and walk shorter stages? Build in more stops, smell the roses, try to help others as much as you can. You will be fresher than someone who's walked several weeks in. Plus a finish is not a guarantee if you start in SJPDP depending on what kind of adventures await you (stopping due to bug bites certainly wasn't part of the original plan right?).

Whatever you decide, make sure you know the outcome you're trying to achieve. Make it YOUR camino.

Whatever you decide will be right for you. If I were to do the Camino again, I would have more skin coverage when walking. I wore jogging tights with shorts over them, but I wore a T shirt up top. I was bit by some flies on the arms and such but without your dramatic reaction. I would wear a long sleeved breathable shirt and have everything from the neck down (other than the hands covered).

This would help with biting flies and the sun, but will have no effect on bedbugs.

When I've been forced to stop on my current Camino, it's always involved restarting where I left off, and that's what I'd advise.

If you have more time on your hands than for just that remainder, you could potentially consider after you finish, walking back from Santiago to Ponferrada, Astorga, Léon, or Burgos ?

Hola @elviento I am another in the "back to St Jean" camp (if you have the time). I found when I re did the Frances in 2017 (this time on foot as opposed the cycling from Pamplona in 2015) there were so many "new things" that I saw or found.
Of course if time does not allow then by all means resume from where you left off. Maybe go back to the largest town/city and walk from there. You realise that you can still use your original credencial/passport. You do not have to get a new one. Using the old will help validate the distance you walked. Buen Camino

If it were me, and if I had the time, I’d do what @jpflavin said. I did have to stop walking on the Vdlp about 15 years ago, in Cáceres. For me, the urge to walk from Sevilla-Santiago was a much bigger pull than thinking that Sevilla to Cáceres plus Cáceres to Santiago equals Vdlp. I stayed in different places, met different people, and had different weather, and for me the fresh start in Sevilla was the way to go.
I totally agree. Luckily for me I have never had to stop a camino. I also think the pull back is different for all. For me and I do believe to an extend for many of us the Camino is home.

I had a similar situation. I had to stop in Fromista due to shin splints, I took about 5 days off then took the train to Sarria and walked very slowly from there. I never gave starting over a thought, the day I stopped walking in Fromista I decided I would start in Fromista the following year with the intention of finishing in Sarria. I was going to do very short days and savor the experience.
Well that didn’t happen and I’m glad it didn’t. After discovering compression socks I wound up walking longer days, and after meeting some great people I decided to walk with them into Santiago.
Buen Camino no matter what your choice may be!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will start over at the place where I left the Camino del Norte in Nueva, Asturia, but If I had the time for a full camino I would do it from the start again and allow me some kind of meditative ritual when I would reach the point where I left. Because for me it is a good thing to finish the unfinished things. On the other hand there might be a bit more pressure or tension to finish it now in this attempt. I really would hate it to have two uncomplete Caminos on my account.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Oh, I am thinking about the same almost all the time. I had to return from Astorga early Nov 2021 due to serious illness in my family. If I get enough time off work I Will start from SJPP again early November. Trying to get enough time is difficult as I teach. If not possible, I Will continue from Astorga. Best of luck on deciding what is right and possible for you.

Thank you!
I would say, continue on from where you left off, unless you have enough time to Walk the whole thing. if you have enough time, then start in SJPP, and reminisce where you had Walked the first time. That is what David and I did on our 2nd attempt.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thank you!
Hi there.same thing happened to me in 2017.I was about 20 miles from Leon but had to see a doctor as my leg was inflamed and had a rash that was going up to my groin.turned out it was cellulitis and was quite serious. As a result I spent 10 days in the hospital and whe I got out I vowed to go back and complete, which I did in 2018 from Leon. Have to say the feeling of Euphoria I got when I got to Santiago was overwhelming.
Sometimes things just happen for a reason..whatever you decide just Enjoy .buen Camino

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate you sharing your own experiences and insights. You have all given me much to think about.

I also agree this next go around will likely be a completely different experience for me. There is no doubt in my mind this time I will go at a slower pace and I will not feel compelled to follow the guide books on where to end my journey each day. In fact, my favorite stays on The Camino were in the towns that did not follow the traditional stay overs. Tosantos being one of them!

I'm excited!

Thank you!
I'll answer the last question first. Everything in my life has happened for a reason. I'm not very religious but when I look back at turning points in my life I see many times when if things had been different I would not be where I am now. The second question can be answered with a question: If time is not a factor, why would you not want to begin in SJPdP? It would be awesome to see in the Fall the things that you saw in the spring. I walked from SJPdP in May - June 2017. I would love to see the results of the crop plant that I observed (as an example) and the others changes between Spring and Fall. I am probably biased because I would love to be able to spent a couple of months each year walking or re-walking Caminos.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi there.same thing happened to me in 2017.I was about 20 miles from Leon but had to see a doctor as my leg was inflamed and had a rash that was going up to my groin.turned out it was cellulitis and was quite serious. As a result I spent 10 days in the hospital and whe I got out I vowed to go back and complete, which I did in 2018 from Leon. Have to say the feeling of Euphoria I got when I got to Santiago was overwhelming.
Sometimes things just happen for a reason..whatever you decide just Enjoy .buen Camino
Oh my, that sounds frightening! I'm glad you came out of this okay. I admire your determination to return, and I'm elated you completed your journey!

Thank you!
Hello
On my second Camino I had to return home to the UK having picked up a serious infection. I needed treatment for about 3 weeks and returned to pick up where I left off. Like you time was not a factor for me but it seemed the right thing for me to do. On my 5 trips I have met many people who walk in stages year by year and pick up where they left off each time. The down side is getting to where you finished can prove to be tricky and costly whereas going to SJPDP or one of the other main starting points can be easier and cheaper.
Buen Camino
Vince

Thank you!
The oozy blisters may have been a severe reaction to contact with pine processionary caterpillar hairs. I’ve gotten the blisters twice, both on walks on the Frances starting in late winter but only 3 blisters at a time so though they were icky and caused my arm to swell up like a broken bone, they were managable.
I now try to get through piney areas quickly and avoid the caterpillars when I see them out in the landscape. The hairs can fly through the air so they don’t have to be attached to the caterpillar to cause a blister. Also anything a hair has touched and then touches you can cause a blister.
I’m glad to hear you are starting in fall since the caterpillars are not a problem then.

I can’t think of a reason not to start again in SJPP. Walking a landscape that changes from mountains to hills to flats is one of the joys of the Camino.
As for a reason to return to the Camino,
words usually come up short in trying to explain or figure out why it draws us as it does. Usually I come up with excuses for going but they are not the real reason. It is enough to be drawn and to go and then all kinds of things happen over those weeks of walking. Some of them are hard and some are magical. Sometimes the hard things and the magical things get intertwined. I return home an improved version of myself, and it lasts awhile, then it fades, though not completely. Then I return to the Camino 🙂.
Let us know how it goes for you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

In 2016 I started at Le Puy-en-Velay, passed through Saint-Jean and, after passing through Pamplona, decided to stop at Uterga. On the steep, rubble strewn descent from Alto-del-Perdon I encountered "giant steps" and "flew" down, avoiding the worst of the rubble.
About an hour after starting the next day, my right hip was giving me a lot of trouble, but I made Estella.
The next three weeks was a history of resting, moving on by bus and trying again (channeling Robert the Bruce - ask me if you will). I ended up at Hontanas - there I was invalided off by ambulance. Shortly after I retired, hurt.

I planned to return October 2017 and asked the community for their advice.

Without exception, it was to restart at Estella. Which I did.

Our reasons for a Camino will be as varied as there are pilgrims/walkers.

My reason was quite personal and dictated my return, when that was possible.

@elviento, to you I say kia kaha, kia māia, kia manawanui (take care, be strong, patient and confident) and get going when you can.

In 2016 I started at Le Puy-en-Velay, passed through Saint-Jean and, after passing through Pamplona, decided to stop at Uterga. On the steep, rubble strewn descent from Alto-del-Perdon I encountered "giant steps" and "flew" down, avoiding the worst of the rubble.
About an hour after starting the next day, my right hip was giving me a lot of trouble, but I made Estella.
The next three weeks was a history of resting, moving on by bus and trying again (channeling Robert the Bruce - ask me if you will). I ended up at Hontanas - there I was invalided off by ambulance. Shortly after I retired, hurt.

I planned to return October 2017 and asked the community for their advice.

Without exception, it was to restart at Estella. Which I did.

Our reasons for a Camino will be as varied as there are pilgrims/walkers.

My reason was quite personal and dictated my return, when that was possible.

@elviento, to you I say kia kaha, kia māia, kia manawanui (take care, be strong, patient and confident) and get going when you can.
wonderful story...about inspiration, handling adversity, and continuing on to what you were called to do...congrats and Buen Camino

We can live each moment once, we can only walk each path once. onbthe off chance that the environment, weather, number of pilgrims … were to be the same, you yourself won’t be, so if time is no objection, I’d start over from SJPdP.

This comes of course from the pilgrim who walked from Seville to Astorga in 2016, then started again in Zamorra in 2019 to take the Sanabrés route to SdC, but if I could have taken 8 weeks of leave, I would have started in Seville again…

There is no wrong Way, they all lead us to the Apostle

¡Buen camino!

Miguel de Flandes

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you, everyone! I appreciate you sharing your own experiences and insights. You have all given me much to think about.

I also agree this next go around will likely be a completely different experience for me. There is no doubt in my mind this time I will go at a slower pace and I will not feel compelled to follow the guide books on where to end my journey each day. In fact, my favorite stays on The Camino were in the towns that did not follow the traditional stay overs. Tosantos being one of them!

I'm exci

I'm excited!
My Camino Frances to Finnistere took 6 weeks. I think something special happens when you walk for that long, that I suspect might be missed in shorter time frames.
Whatever you choose- or what chooses you - will be perfect.

Thank you!
I didn’t finish in 2019 - due to a tendon injury. Had planned to return the following year but CoVid had its own agenda! I’m now booked and ready to return this September. And, Like you, where to start - where I left off or back at SJPP? The net result of much oscillation, was to start again with a new intention and hopefully a little wisdom on how to walk gently this time. And yes - these seem to be the Camino(s) that I’m called to have…my heart is open to the next adventure.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Thank you!
My husband and I started the Camino Frances last September with the intention of walking the whole way. I got very sick in Burgos and we had to return home. We went back this May and began our walk in SJPDP again. We loved our walk last year before I got sick and decided that we would hate to miss it this year. It was the right decision. Those first two weeks were even better the second time around and it was an entirely different experience than in May.. My advice is start from the beginning. Don't cheat yourself. After all, you'll be doing all that planning, training and traveling to Spain.

I didn’t finish in 2019 - due to a tendon injury. Had planned to return the following year but CoVid had its own agenda! I’m now booked and ready to return this September. And, Like you, where to start - where I left off or back at SJPP? The net result of much oscillation, was to start again with a new intention and hopefully a little wisdom on how to walk gently this time. And yes - these seem to be the Camino(s) that I’m called to have…my heart is open to the next adventure.
Buen Camino!

My husband and I started the Camino Frances last September with the intention of walking the whole way. I got very sick in Burgos and we had to return home. We went back this May and began our walk in SJPDP again. We loved our walk last year before I got sick and decided that we would hate to miss it this year. It was the right decision. Those first two weeks were even better the second time around and it was an entirely different experience than in May.. My advice is start from the beginning. Don't cheat yourself. After all, you'll be doing all that planning, training and traveling to Spain.
Thank you! I appreciate you sharing your story!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you start over in Sept be aware from SjPdP to Pamplona may be quite booked so plan accordingly.
Hi Marbe, Do you mention this because many others will also be starting in September? (I am just beginning my planning, so I haven't kept up with everything...)

I never would have thought of caterpillars! I have no idea if this relates to my blisters, but I did stop at the section with all the teepees and enjoyed laying in the hammocks. I only wear hiking pants vs shorts (sun protection for my fair skin) and by the time I got to Carrion de los Condes, my legs were itching and then the blisters began to appear. I will research what you shared. Thank you for the insight and encouragement!

Hi Marbe, Do you mention this because many others will also be starting in September? (I am just beginning my planning, so I haven't kept up with everything...)

If you go on booking.com and look at options for accommodations between SjPdP and Pamplna you will find few optionsinSeptember. I only write this to assist you when determining where you want to start and where there might be accommodations in planning that start! Good luck!

I will start over at the place where I left the Camino del Norte in Nueva, Asturia, but If I had the time for a full camino I would do it from the start again and allow me some kind of meditative ritual when I would reach the point where I left. Because for me it is a good thing to finish the unfinished things. On the other hand there might be a bit more pressure or tension to finish it now in this attempt. I really would hate it to have two uncomplete Caminos on my account.
Maybe I'll sound like a broken record, but the only "full Camino" is one from home.

These are not hiking trails between some point A and a point B, but this is a number of pilgrimage routes from one's home parish to the tomb of the Apostle Saint James.

Yes, the hiking is a massive part of it for those of us who are foot pilgrims, but maybe don't confuse the means for the purpose ?

Thank you!
Got the time and the cash? Go back to St Jean!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Books are some of my best friends. I return to some books over and over. I read what I have already read and learn something new each time. When time is not an issue, when time is an issue, I would still start at the beginning and walk until I need to stop.
The call of the Way never stops. You will return to it over and over. There will come a day when you physically cannot walk this path anymore. Then you will return to it over and over in your mind.
The wonderful thing about this question is that there is no right or wrong answer. Lastly, please make sure you talk to your doctor about your past experience and see if he has any recommendation should anything similar pop up.

I assume you have the time for either.
I would probably pick up where I left off and continue from there. Otherwise, in my mind, that first Camino would always remain "unfinished."
If I wanted to make it a bit more of a challenge, I might find another route which would lead me to Carrion de los Condes, then pick up the CF from there.
Buen Camino - any Camino is a good Camino.

I see that these posts are about a month old, so I wonder if you made your decision. I started in Roncesvalles in 2006 and made it to Los Arcos. Ten years later, I continued from the same albergue in Los Arcos and then stopped in Burgos. I used my original credencial and it was amusing to see the reaction of the person who gave me my first stamp that year - it appeared that I had taken 10 years to walk 10 or 15 miles! I plan to return to Burgos this October to finally finish my Camino. If I had the time, I would start in SJPDP and walk the entire Frances in one go, but I have always had time constraints, so I’m doing this way. Buen Camino to you whichever method you choose!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back