• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

ADVICE: Returning to real life after the Camino?

Glenngaunt

Time of past OR future Camino
Late April 2016 - Camino Frances
Hello All!

So I finnished my first Camino on the 30th May and have been back home in the UK for about a week now. I am finding it very difficult to adjust to reality.

I have found there is so much negativity in real life, people aren't as caring and kind as on the Camino!

Luckily I have found a waiting job already - but cant seem to find the enthusiasm to relish in it as I am still having post Camino blues!

Does anyone have any advice or ways to make things easier when adjusting back?

Glenn x

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello All!

So I finnished my first Camino on the 30th May and have been back home in the UK for about a week now. I am finding it very difficult to adjust to reality.

I have found there is so much negativity in real life, people aren't as caring and kind as on the Camino!

Luckily I have found a waiting job already - but cant seem to find the enthusiasm to relish in it as I am still having post Camino blues!

Glenn x

Hi Glenn,

So many pilgrims have felt the same as you about their difficulties of re-entry; rest assured you are not alone!
Check out what others have posted regarding Post Camino Blues in this earlier Forum thread.

For many planning another future camino helps calm the angst. Furthermore sharing what you have learned re camino equipment, training, etc. by writing yourself for the Forum is also most beneficial both for the readers and for you.

Such mutual sharing is a large part of the camino tradition. Besides being informative for future pilgrims it helps keep memories current for experienced pilgrims as we recall our journeys anew. Do try it!

Last edited:
Glenn,

The feeling is normal. The Camino is a positive metaphor for life.

Besides becoming a repeat offender with more Caminos, one can take the essence of the Camino back to the real life. Rather than compare, make your current life like the Camino. Live a simple life, treasure your relationships, remove negative influences, etc. Even an early retirement by earning, stashing and investing as much as you can early (if the Camino lets you know you don't need much to live, then you probably don't need much to retire), at least the freedom to decide what to do with your time (work or otherwise).

You will know if you have achieve it when your future Caminos begins to feel more like an adventure instead of a quest.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
many of the suggestions above are ones I utilised as well post my Camino in May-June 2013. I work hard to maintain the positive energy that was all over me on the Camino. Lastly as mspath said assist others in planning their Caminos and plan for your next one. I am returning in May - July 2018 to walk the Le Puy - Santiago route. Every day that passes brings me closer....

Hello All!

Glenn x
All that was said above....
I too found it hard to shake the Camino out of my head after finishing the first time. I didn't know what to do so I planned the next one....
I know it changed me but I am still not sure how...
Sharing with other 'camino affected' people helps! Whether in real life or on this forum :)

Hello All!

Glenn x

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi there Glenn, I 'hear' you. We are starting out in September and having already been wondering the same thing.
I have been thinking about ways in which to 'value add' to my existing career/role as I know that there will be a new 'normal' on our return. May be a whole new approach now you are coming from a whole new perspective (I am presuming since the end of your Camino???). What part of your work are you able to change to give you new inspiration? What's the next level?
I too look forward to hearing from those who have returned. Wishing you well (and of course inspiration). Cheers

Hello All!

Glenn x
I had the same when I finished my first CP- I was the sadest person in the plane flying home.

Nothing helped me so far apart from planing my next trip. I find it quite hard to be honest.

Good luck

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello All!

Glenn x

I'm in the same circumstance. I just got back home about a week ago and I'm having a hard time adjusting back. I also finished my camino on the same day. I'm trying to plan something else so that I have something new to look forward to. I am hoping that it will help with my camino "blues". Wishing you a better week!

What a wonderful experience you've had at your age!
My advice: actively search out a job/career which gives you purpose, volunteer doing something meaningful, develop loving relationships and most importantly, give away the caring and kindness which you are craving, and it will be returned to you.

I love reading post Camino talk as it goes to show that walking the Camino is life changing and in most cases for the better, to all the young who walk the Way and feel change I hope you take it to heart and maybe keep smiling when things dont turn out the way you think. You can always go back (I hope you do) to walk again and again. Buen Camino every day where ever you are.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
now Googling you! :)
and inspired to continue the de-cluttering campaign. the joy of one dress and a pair of flipflops for evening-wear remains a distant but fond memory - which I need to incorporate into daily life.
I have a bin bag and I'm off to fill it. :) (for the charity shop)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back