Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Advice sought for Norte now- Ribadeo to Santiago

scroz

Camino(s) past & future
Norte (2020)
Hi, am in need of some advice. Am currently doing the Norte, solo, having started from Oviedo. It's pretty empty, which is not in itself a problem, but I am beginning to worry about some of the safety aspects, particularly from Ribadeo into Galicia. One of the hostels I have reserved at (o Xistral) has already said that they are no longer doing meals because of Covid so you have to bring your own and from what I understand for a couple of days around that area there are not many cafes, shops, etc. Also, to put it in a bit of context, I had a very unpleasant incident happen a few days ago (police called, report filed - I may write about it in a separate post but dont want to go into details here), and so I am a bit concerned that this area may be pretty deserted and may not be such a wise idea at the moment. I am considering skipping a couple of stages if I can find some form of transport eg to Villalba. Or I could just stop at Ribadeo and leave the rest for another year. Any advice from those who have been through this part before much appreciated! I have bookings (either in hostels or hotels) but most are cancellable with a bit of notice.

Apart from the bad stuff, have been loving the Camino so far!

Last edited:

andycohn

Camino(s) past & future
CF (12-15); Muxia (15); Portuguese, Primitivo (17); Norte, Ingles, VF partial (18), Le Puy (19)
It's not clear what you mean by "safety aspects." Do you mean personal safety -- i.e fear of being assaulted or accosted? In response, all I can say is that that part of the Norte, after Ribadeo, is always pretty deserted. My wife and I walked it in the spring of 2018, and usually didn't see anyone else during the course of the day. But we never felt unsafe, even walking separately, as we usually do. Serious incidents of people being attacked in any way are very rare on the caminos (although something plainly happened to you). How you feel about it is a very personal thing of course. If you feel unsafe, by all means, skip ahead. It doesn't get any more crowded after Vilalba, though.

Heikki

Camino(s) past & future
Burgos to Santiago 2008, Madrid to Sáhagun 2012, Primitivo 2012, VdlP 2014, Camino del Norte 2020
We walked (two males) last march from Ribadeo to Santiago. We slept in Xunta albergues in Lourenza, Gontan/Abadin, Vilalba (here we had a room above a bar), Baamonde and A Cabana. Last night in Brea in a small hotel. All Xunta albergues were empty, only two of us. It was just before the Xunta albergues were closed in Galicia. We had no safety problems. Camino was very quiet.

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock