• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice to New Walkers: Leave Cherished Items at HOME!

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I've seen many postings this week about cherished items being lost on the Camino.
Stuffed animals, jewelry, etc.

People, do not take ANYTHING with you on the Camino that you cannot afford to lose.
Period.

Look at each item you put into your pack or plan on taking and ask yourself, "Would it be ok if I lost this?" "Would it be ok if it was stolen or broken?" "Could I replace this easily if it were lost or stolen?"

If it cannot be replaced, for heavens' sake, leave it home.

If you choose to take cherished items with you, then ::shrug::

Sometimes they're found and returned.
More often, they're not.

I lost a gold earring on my first Camino.
From that point on, I only wore cheap earrings and no other jewelry.
Even diamond wedding rings, in my opinion, should stay home.
If it can't be replaced without heartache, leave it home.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've seen many postings this week about cherished items being lost on the Camino.
Stuffed animals, jewelry, etc.

People, do not take ANYTHING with you on the Camino that you cannot afford to lose.
Period.

Look at each item you put into your pack or plan on taking and ask yourself, "Would it be ok if I lost this?" "Would it be ok if it was stolen or broken?" "Could I replace this easily if it were lost or stolen?"

If it cannot be replaced, for heavens' sake, leave it home.

If you choose to take cherished items with you, then ::shrug::

Sometimes they're found and returned.
More often, they're not.

I lost a gold earring on my first Camino.
From that point on, I only wore cheap earrings and no other jewelry.
Even diamond wedding rings, in my opinion, should stay home.
If it can't be replaced without heartache, leave it home.

Couldn’t agree with you more, Annie! But err... taking off my wedding ring? :oops:
Already my husband is getting fed-up with my disappearing for weeks at a time, I think he might worry :D;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And.....once again a reminder to put your email address on everything including your pack, credential, National Passport, money purse, glasses, jackets, poles, day packs.....everything.
It is amazing how easy it is to leave something in a bar, or to drop it while walking....and every albergue has boxes full of things left behind in the rush to get out in the morning.

Most people will take the time to email you if they find something. Telephone numbers are always pretty sketchy as many pilgrims do not carry a phone, and many incur high charges when using their phone in Spain and are much less likely to call you.

Take the time to mark everything.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Couldn’t agree with you more, Annie! But err... taking off my wedding ring? :oops:
Already my husband is getting fed-up with my disappearing for weeks at a time, I think he might worry :D;)

Well, not a plain gold band or a simple ring, but I've seen people flashing some pretty expensive BLING! on the Camino and thought to myself, "They are just asking for trouble . . . " But that's just me. Pretty much a minimalist.

My husband and I have fairly simple rings, so we wore them on the Camino, but I can definitely see leaving wedding rings at home if you have something expensive or very unique. I know people who have expensive rings who have "travel rings" that they use when away from home and leave their real rings in a safe deposit box when they travel. Or they just make sure the rings are fully insured and wear them anyway.

Every time I leave a place (albergue, church, bar, square bench) I make a kind of silent check up, as a matter of principle; "Ok, my four indispensable things: passport, check; wallet, check; credencial, check; cellphone, check.
I would not like the idea of extending my list to five, six or seven things.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"Ok, my four indispensable things: passport, check; wallet, check; credencial, check; cellphone, check.
I would not lik the idea of extending my list to five, six or seven things.

I do the EXACT same check everytime! :)
And my wedding ring stays at home. I don't take any kind of jewellery with me, but on both caminos I bought little earrings once I arrived in Santiago.

This reminds me of the rhyme my dear late Father would recite each time he left our home ,
''Spectacles, testicles wallet and watch '' :)

Good advice Annie , but then there are some things that just beg to go on journeys with you , they plead and cajole until you give in , it is hard to deny them their place alongside you , it is a little like showing your dog a leash and telling them they must stay behind . You may lose them but they at least are with you for the most part, sharing the life you wish to lead .

seriously ......just keep walking :cool:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And.....once again a reminder to put your email address on everything including your pack, credential, National Passport, money purse, glasses, jackets, poles, day packs.....everything.
It is amazing how easy it is to leave
It is amazing how easy it is to leave something in a bar, or to drop it while walking....and every albergue has boxes full of things left behind in the rush to get out in the morning.

Most people will take the time to email you if they find something. Telephone numbers are always pretty sketchy as many pilgrims do not carry a phone, and many incur high charges when using their phone in Spain and are much less likely to call you.

something in a bar, or to drop it while walking....and every albergue has boxes full of things left behind in the rush to get out in the morning.

What a great idea! I an going on a trip and will mark my email address on everything. I never thought of that! And you are right people are more likely to email than call especially when traveling! You are brilliant.

Agreed

I feel that it is a valuable process to trim away all the excressences of our lives as we prepare for and follow the way of St James.

So, I’m trimming down everything, physically and spiritually.

For me, travelling light, without the accoutrements of my daily life,is a good thing and allows me to change my focus towards my motivations for Camino and also to engage with fellow peregrinos and enjoy the way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
At the risk of being termed obsessive-compulsive, I have a Brother handheld labeling machine that prints 1/2" (12 mm) wide black lettering on white labels. I have had this labeling device for many years and use it regularly around the house. When I started doing Camino six years ago, it came in handy.

I affix labels stating my e-mail address (also my name) and iPhone number (with country code and 'text ok') to the upper shaft of my hiking poles just below the hand grips, my iPhone, national passport and pilgrim credential. I also label the ziplock bags I use for my belongings, as well as irreplaceable things like my hard side spare eyeglass case.

To protect the labels against moisture & wear, I place a strip of clear scotch tape over the label. This works VERY well.

Of course, the labeling machine stays home and does NOT come with me. THAT would be obsessive...o_O

We bought a set of clothing labels from Amazon and labeled everything. It’s easy for one shirt to look like another. They help up great and makes me smile when I now see one folding clothes. Label other things too. So easy to lose or leave things. Take a few labels for the extra credentials.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But really, what's happening in last week or two??? I can't remember I saw so many "Lost" posts in couple of years. I mean I know people are losing items along the Camino but are those posts mainly from folks that just incidentally bumped into this forum on the net and after (or not) the item will be found that's it? This might be the reason?

But really, what's happening in last week or two??? I can't remember I saw so many "Lost" posts in couple of years. I mean I know people are losing items along the Camino but are those posts mainly from folks that just incidentally bumped into this forum on the net and after (or not) the item will be found that's it? This might be the reason?
I was wondering the same thing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
People...y'all need to PAY ATTENTION! My mother has not followed me around picking up after me for at least 60 years...jeez!

And now, in her dotage, it has developed that I am the one who does the picking up after... LOL. My in-laws have a saying in their family... "once an adult, twice a child." BOY, were they ever correct...

The OP advice is correct. If you would miss something seriously, or it is not very easily replaceable, LEAVE IT HOME.

Alternatively for stuff you must have, like a passport, credit card or pilgrim credencial, develop an obsessive habit of storing these items in a cargo pocket of your hiking pants. This pants or shorts never leave you or your sleeping bag. They are either on you, or immediately next to you and under your sole control at all times. One alternative, that i use, is to remove the items from the pants (they are sometimes really grundgy) and place the items on me when sleeping...

This sounds much more difficult than is actually is. I use a Loksak 4" x 7" heavy duty ziplock bag inside my hiking pants cargo pocket when awake and dressed. It contains my iPhone, passport, credential and credit cards. When in a public sleeping place, the bag goes in my sleeping bag in a security wallet AROUND MY NECK.

See these secure plastic bags here: https://loksak.com/aloksak/

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Regarding rings-on my last Camino it was hot and my hands and fingers were very swollen by the end of the day - it was more comfortable for me to walk without my rings, which I had to remove and put in my wallet for the duration. For the next walk I would leave them at home for both comfort and safety!

I put some money and a bank card plus credencial and passport in my waist belt bag. A different credit card and extra euro notes in an inner pocket in my rucksack. So far that's worked for me.
Somewhere I carelessly lost my senior rail card for Spanish railways but the office in Santiago kindly reissued that foc as I had my passport and they could check their records.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also only take cheap earings and a cheap watch (7 €) on my camino.

I leave my wedding-ring and other rings at home, not because I am afraid of loosing them (I rarely take them off). But it is not comfortable with the heat (swollen fingers) and even less with poles.

I only take an old mobile phone on the camino, the new I-Phone stays at home.

Some clothes follow me along the Caminos since 2006.

Always when I travel abroad, my diamond engagement ring stays home. I keep the simple wedding band on my finger, which I think would be a much less attractive target.

So, let's laugh a little.
If everyone leaves wedding bands at home it will make "Camino Speed Dating" much more interesting.
I have never worn a ring (because of my job) and my wife is fine with it. So, it was funny to me that the "people on the prowl" seemed upset when I explained I was in fact happily married even though I don't wear a ring ;-)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So, let's laugh a little.
If everyone leaves wedding bands at home it will make "Camino Speed Dating" much more interesting.
I have never worn a ring (because of my job) and my wife is fine with it. So, it was funny to me that the "people on the prowl" seemed upset when I explained I was in fact happily married even though I don't wear a ring ;-)
There are "people on the prowl" on camino? :eek: :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I bought a second wedding ring just for travel purposes, its a thin simple wedding band, its great in the heat and does not bother me and will be OK when my fingers will swell from the heat. Cheap fake jewerly is great if you want to walk with some bling. They look like the real thing, so if you lose it, no big deal.

Every time I leave a place (albergue, church, bar, square bench) I make a kind of silent check up, as a matter of principle; "Ok, my four indispensable things: passport, check; wallet, check; credencial, check; cellphone, check.
I would not like the idea of extending my list to five, six or seven things.
I do the same, I always wear trousers with rather deep pockets, with zippers. The same apllies for my second trousers. I have my wallet, my phone and camera all the time in the same pocket. To check if everything is where it should be is a custom that you get used to fast. I. This way I also have these valuable items with me when I go to the shower.

€60,-
My husband and I have fairly simple rings, so we wore them on the Camino, but I can definitely see leaving wedding rings at home if you have something expensive or very unique. I know people who have expensive rings who have "travel rings" that they use when away from home and leave their real rings in a safe deposit box when they travel. Or they just make sure the rings are fully insured and wear them anyway.
You and your husband are wise people. In general I think the wedding rings that are supposed to be with the person through good and bad, in sickness and in health they have to be simple enough exactly for this reason. Jumping through loops with travel rings, baby changing rings, cooking rings is difficult and all the time the real rings sit somewhere far away from the wearer while they were the ones that actually heard the wows. If I have too much money (haha the concept itself is strange) I take my kids somewhere they enjoy or give to some charity. Don't see the point freezing the assets in order to carry them on my person. Swarowski crystals in stainless steel frame do the sparkling very well.

In general, I agree that it is wiser to leave at home things that you don't want to lose. But if you feel that something precious to you is important for your pilgrimage, then you need to decide if you want to take the risk. For example, I think I may take my copy of T.S. Eliot's "Four Quartets", part of my life for 50 years, with me on my next camino. When I looked at it as I thought about taking it, I discovered many hand-made religious cards given me by persons who are no longer part of my life. I feel that the poems and the cards could help me to deepen my spiritual life on camino. And that is why I go.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This reminds me of the rhyme my dear late Father would recite each time he left our home ,
''Spectacles, testicles wallet and watch '' :)

Good advice Annie , but then there are some things that just beg to go on journeys with you , they plead and cajole until you give in , it is hard to deny them their place alongside you , it is a little like showing your dog a leash and telling them they must stay behind . You may lose them but they at least are with you for the most part, sharing the life you wish to lead .
Dave Allen's joke about the Jewish man leaving the synagogue?

At the risk of being termed obsessive-compulsive, I have a Brother handheld labeling machine that prints 1/2" (12 mm) wide black lettering on white labels. I have had this labeling device for many years and use it regularly around the house. When I started doing Camino six years ago, it came in handy.

I affix labels stating my e-mail address (also my name) and iPhone number (with country code and 'text ok') to the upper shaft of my hiking poles just below the hand grips, my iPhone, national passport and pilgrim credential. I also label the ziplock bags I use for my belongings, as well as irreplaceable things like my hard side spare eyeglass case.

To protect the labels against moisture & wear, I place a strip of clear scotch tape over the label. This works VERY well.

Of course, the labeling machine stays home and does NOT come with me. THAT would be obsessive...o_O
Are you sure we don't have the same mother? ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back