• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice

Lifeofdelight

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi. I'm planning to walk CP from Lisbon from 23/4/19. I'm having some concerns now as I read there might not be many people starting from there at that time. In fact, I read I may not see anyone Camino walking until further north. I have walked Camino Frances independently with no concerns in April/May 2016, but I relished all the people I met along the way, never feeling lonely.
What might I expect to encounter walking from Lisbon end of Aprill?
Are there any safety concerns as a 64 yo female solo walker? I don't want to be totally on my own for days.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked CP this year in April from Lisbon. The albergue (10-15 beds) are full, some places may need to go alternate lodging.

So no, it's not quiet. But relatively speaking, it gets crowded from Porto...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We walked the CP from Porto in August of 16. The Coastal route was fairly sparsely used, however the albergues did seem well used. The municipal albergue in Caminha was full, forcing us to find alternate places.

The coastal route from Porto was really nice but we lost the trail just South of Caminha and had to was along the beach(very hard for a couple 65 year olds).

I walked from Porto to Santiago the last week in May and first week in June this year and meet many pilgrims and as noted in above posts many of the albergues were full. You will have no worry to meet people. I found the coastal route fabulous and the rest of the inland just a s nice.

Buen Caminho

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am walking from Lisbon, but should be ok too?

Hi, don’t worry, you will meet others, but not hundreds as on the CF.

Plan to stay at Alpriate, the first albergue after Lisbon, and you will receive a warm welcome from the hospitalera/o.

You may find yourself walking alone (and it IS safe for a single woman of a certain age). If you stay in the albergues every night you will meet the other pilgrims who are walking at the same time as you. They are a different breed from the CF – very refreshing.

The Portuguese Camino from Lisbon is VERY different from the CF, but in a nice way. Embrace the change, the people and the culture – it is unique.

Bom caminho!

Jill

Hi, don’t worry, you will meet others, but not hundreds as on the CF.

Plan to stay at Alpriate, the first albergue after Lisbon, and you will receive a warm welcome from the hospitalera/o.

You may find yourself walking alone (and it IS safe for a single woman of a certain age). If you stay in the albergues every night you will meet the other pilgrims who are walking at the same time as you. They are a different breed from the CF – very refreshing.

The Portuguese Camino from Lisbon is VERY different from the CF, but in a nice way. Embrace the change, the people and the culture – it is unique.

Bom caminho!

Jill
Thanks. I needed this reassurance for a Lisbon start. I could repeat what is familiar, but do want to try something new. Any suggestions for Lisbon first night accommodation (perhaps 3 so I can look around Lisbon first)?

Any suggestions for Lisbon first night accommodation

Hi, I stayed at Lisboa Central Hostel - https://lisboacentralhostel.com/index.html - and was quite happy. I chose it because it is budget, and near Marques de Pombal – a stop on the Airport Bus Route – and it was easy to walk from there the next morning to the cathedral, where I got my first stamp, before walking on to Alpriate. But I am sure others can offer other recommendations. Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the CP from Lisbon a month ago and very much enjoyed the contemplative opportunity. After all I thought what was why one does the Camino. I thoroughly enjoyed the first seven days when I did not see another soul on the trail. I began with a trial run from the Cathedral on day 1 to see how I would go and couldn't stop, ending up 10km later at Sacavem and caught the train back to St Apolonia as I still had to organise bag storage. Next day I took the train back to Sacavem and quickly walked to Alpirate where there is a lovely Albergue but I arrived far too early before it was open so walked on until Alhandra where I spent in the fire station which is the Albergue there. The endless flat countryside is not distracting and a great aid to lengthy inner contemplation. There were a few people after Porto and lots more who joined for the quick Camino from Valenca and Tui for a quick 100km Camino. The most trying section was from Azambuja to Santarem ending the long day with the exhausting hot final 2km long walk up the steep hill into the town. The nuns there are very hospitable. Make sure that you organise yourself to stay at Fernanda's at Lugar do Corgo for one night, it was the best. Wise to call ahed and book. The Wise Pilgrim APP can be invaluable, particularly on those long stretches when there may be less arrows. I don't think safety is an issue.

Hi there,
The only section of Camino I have (yet!) done was from Lisbon to Porto in June 2018 so I can't compare to other Caminos. I enjoyed the opportunity to walk in solitude but yes, there were always other pilgrims about and I met some great fellow pilgrims in the private and municpal albergues along the way. I stayed three nights in Lisbon before setting off, and opted to stay in the Lisbon Lounge Hostel. Not the cheapest hostel option available in Lisbon, but located right in the heart of the Baixa District and very well placed for setting off on the first day. (I'd already got my stamp from the Cathedral the day before and as I walked to Vila Franca on the first day an early start was essential).

I walked the CP from Lisbon a month ago and very much enjoyed the contemplative opportunity. After all I thought what was why one does the Camino. I thoroughly enjoyed the first seven days when I did not see another soul on the trail. I began with a trial run from the Cathedral on day 1 to see how I would go and couldn't stop, ending up 10km later at Sacavem and caught the train back to St Apolonia as I still had to organise bag storage. Next day I took the train back to Sacavem and quickly walked to Alpirate where there is a lovely Albergue but I arrived far too early before it was open so walked on until Alhandra where I spent in the fire station which is the Albergue there. The endless flat countryside is not distracting and a great aid to lengthy inner contemplation. There were a few people after Porto and lots more who joined for the quick Camino from Valenca and Tui for a quick 100km Camino. The most trying section was from Azambuja to Santarem ending the long day with the exhausting hot final 2km long walk up the steep hill into the town. The nuns there are very hospitable. Make sure that you organise yourself to stay at Fernanda's at Lugar do Corgo for one night, it was the best. Wise to call ahed and book. The Wise Pilgrim APP can be invaluable, particularly on those long stretches when there may be less arrows. I don't think safety is an issue.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I'm soaking up all the information. I'm not so worried about safety, but feeling fearful about being lost and lonely. Funny that that should be my fear as I've lived most of my life independently and happily.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi there,
The only section of Camino I have (yet!) done was from Lisbon to Porto in June 2018 so I can't compare to other Caminos. I enjoyed the opportunity to walk in solitude but yes, there were always other pilgrims about and I met some great fellow pilgrims in the private and municpal albergues along the way. I stayed three nights in Lisbon before setting off, and opted to stay in the Lisbon Lounge Hostel. Not the cheapest hostel option available in Lisbon, but located right in the heart of the Baixa District and very well placed for setting off on the first day. (I'd already got my stamp from the Cathedral the day before and as I walked to Vila Franca on the first day an early start was essential).
Great. Thanks. I'm starting to get a picture in my head on what to do and to expect. Fears starting to soften. I like to get them over and done with early then focus on being positive!
Cheers

I walked from Santarem (3 day walking after Lisbon) to Porto at the end of Oct, out of season, but there were people on the way even then. There were between 2 and 9 people on the stage on one day. Safe to walk for a girl although on one particular stage there were some farmers' dogs that were a bit unfriendly. I enjoyed nature, especially before Coimbra, and of course towns on the way are interesting as well. Albergues are generally of good quality, they are all going to be open as the season starts in April. The locals are friendly and helpful, weather should be nice at that time of the year. I walked from Porto to Santiago end of Apr - begining of May, the central way, was pleasant, no bed rush and plenty of flowers to smell :) Light sleeping bag/sleeping bag liner and trail runners would be fine there. Bom Caminho! :)

I walked from Santarem (3 day walking after Lisbon) to Porto at the end of Oct, out of season, but there were people on the way even then. There were between 2 and 9 people on the stage on one day. Safe to walk for a girl although on one particular stage there were some farmers' dogs that were a bit unfriendly. I enjoyed nature, especially before Coimbra, and of course towns on the way are interesting as well. Albergues are generally of good quality, they are all going to be open as the season starts in April. The locals are friendly and helpful, weather should be nice at that time of the year. I walked from Porto to Santiago end of Apr - begining of May, the central way, was pleasant, no bed rush and plenty of flowers to smell :) Light sleeping bag/sleeping bag liner and trail runners would be fine there. Bom Caminho! :)
Thanks for sharing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for your replies. Yes, it seems from Porto, lots of pilgrims. I am walking from Lisbon, but should be ok too? I'm looking forward to it.
If you are flexible on schedule I am starting from Lisbon on March 30th. Have already booked tickets. I, too, am a female, age 66...American. Walked the CF in '17 and met
another solo walker, and she is flying in to Porto on April 10th, and we'll leave April 12th for out walk into Santiago. It should take me 11 days to walk from Lisbon to Porto. Would love your company.

Hi. I'm planning to walk CP from Lisbon from 23/4/19. I'm having some concerns now as I read there might not be many people starting from there at that time. In fact, I read I may not see anyone Camino walking until further north. I have walked Camino Frances independently with no concerns in April/May 2016, but I relished all the people I met along the way, never feeling lonely.
Are there any safety concerns as a 64 yo female solo walker? I don't want to be totally on my own for days.
I left Lisbon last year on April 30th and walked to Fatima then Tomar then Porto and Santiago ... arriving on May 30th. There were some very cold nights between Lisbon and Fatima... but Porto going north was warm. It was a wonderful pilgrimage and very much different from the Camino Frances which I walked in September and October of 2014. Completely new experiences and many many wonderful people from all over the world. I used the Brierley guide and for the most part it was a great help. Have an open mind and enjoy the new experiences. I traveled north of Porto for a day and a half and then chose the interior route. It was wonderful.

Enjoy your time .... and be sure to stay at Fernandas

I started the first week in May in 2016. Was actually relishing the fact it might be quieter (I did CF the year before). Turns out I left just days before the 100th Anniversary of Fatima (Fatima pilgrims branch off from the Portugués route about a week north of Lisbon). Hordes of people! Marching with matching t-shirts and church banners to see the Pope) After awhile I could laugh about it 🤣 But seriously, it will be much quieter. If it’s not gotten significantly busier you will see pilgrims every day but are more likely to have longer stretches of solo walking unless you intentionally hook up with a person/group. All the Albergues should be open. From Porto north you’ll have plenty of company. DO stay at the N1 Hostel in Santarem - it’s a modern treat, fabulous owners and gourmet evening meals (do purchase them). Stay two nights and take a rest day. If you’re super worried about safely, monitor the forums for ‘reports’. Better yet, put out a ‘who departing’ post on the American Pilgrims on the Camino FB page and I bet you’ll find several people willing at least to start together. Last advice, leave extra time day 1 navigating out of Lisbon, the route is not super well marked unless it’s been freshened up. Most of all, have fun! Relax and Buen Camino!!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Maine . Thanks for lovely offer but I'm first booked on a tour of Morocco and finish that on 20th April. I'll be at Lisbon on 21/4 where I've booked to stay at Lisbon lounge hostel as recommended by a poster here (good reviews and is cheap). Maybe spend 2or 3 days there exploring, then set off. You'll be nearly finished by then. Happy walking.

If you are flexible on schedule I am starting from Lisbon on March 30th. Have already booked tickets. I, too, am a female, age 66...American. Walked the CF in '17 and met
another solo walker, and she is flying in to Porto on April 10th, and we'll leave April 12th for out walk into Santiago. It should take me 11 days to walk from Lisbon to Porto. Would love your company.

I left Lisbon last year on April 30th and walked to Fatima then Tomar then Porto and Santiago ... arriving on May 30th. There were some very cold nights between Lisbon and Fatima... but Porto going north was warm. It was a wonderful pilgrimage and very much different from the Camino Frances which I walked in September and October of 2014. Completely new experiences and many many wonderful people from all over the world. I used the Brierley guide and for the most part it was a great help. Have an open mind and enjoy the new experiences. I traveled north of Porto for a day and a half and then chose the interior route. It was wonderful.

Enjoy your time .... and be sure to stay at Fernandas
Thanks for heads up about the cold, as I was planning lighter gear. I'll pack a puffer jacket and extra layer.

I started the first week in May in 2016. Was actually relishing the fact it might be quieter (I did CF the year before). Turns out I left just days before the 100th Anniversary of Fatima (Fatima pilgrims branch off from the Portugués route about a week north of Lisbon). Hordes of people! Marching with matching t-shirts and church banners to see the Pope) After awhile I could laugh about it 🤣 But seriously, it will be much quieter. If it’s not gotten significantly busier you will see pilgrims every day but are more likely to have longer stretches of solo walking unless you intentionally hook up with a person/group. All the Albergues should be open. From Porto north you’ll have plenty of company. DO stay at the N1 Hostel in Santarem - it’s a modern treat, fabulous owners and gourmet evening meals (do purchase them). Stay two nights and take a rest day. If you’re super worried about safely, monitor the forums for ‘reports’. Better yet, put out a ‘who departing’ post on the American Pilgrims on the Camino FB page and I bet you’ll find several people willing at least to start together. Last advice, leave extra time day 1 navigating out of Lisbon, the route is not super well marked unless it’s been freshened up. Most of all, have fun! Relax and Buen Camino!!!!
Great. Loving reading everyone's assurances and advices.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back