• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advices needed - Camino del Norte - Oct./Nov.2017

Frederic

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte - Oct./Nov. 2017
Hello,

Hope this finds you well. :)

I am totally new to this forum...and I do hope I can get some answers.

I will start the Camino del Norte in Irun on Oct.11th and make my way to Santiago de Compostela. A few questions:

-Training: I consider myself in a good shape, but I am not an athlete. I started to train a bit 2 weeks ago and I walk 7-10km/day. I will add a backpack next week. Is this enough? Is there more physical training I shall do for this particular route? It seems that it is rougher than the Camino Frances so I am still hesitating.
-Weather at that time of the year vs clothing needed : I am expecting it to be a little chilly which I prefer. I also expect rain which I don't want too much, but I prefer to be prepared. :) If you did the Camino del Norte at that time of the year, what are your recommendations?
-Lodging : I read that some albergues were closing in October until the "season" starts over next year. Do you believe I will have trouble in finding lodging?
-Book or apps : It seems that a lot of pilgrims prefer to have the actual book over the apps. I would prefer the apps to travel as light as possible. Do you find the apps (wise prilgrims/buen camino) useful/accurate or the book is the very best?
-Extra days : I gave myself 3-4 days more to finish it just to make sure. Do you think it is enough? Should I plan a little longer?

Well, that is what I have been having in mind so far. Can't wait to start!

Thank you all and I am looking forward to reading about your experience. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Frederic, and welcome.

I walked from San Sebastian starting on the 27th of September for three weeks, to Llanes. And it was HOT! (34C in Santilla by mid morning!) I also only got one day of rain, but it turned out to be a record of rainfall for that date.

https://weatherspark.com/y/40923/Average-Weather-in-Donostia-San-Sebastián-Spain-Year-Round

I would suggest layers. Two short sleeve tshirts, 1 long sleeve T (perhaps Merino wool), a light fleece, and rain gear. Being a woman I also like to walk with light silk meditation shawl I can use as a scarf or blanket. For rain gear I bring rain pants, an Altus raincoat and an umbrella. Happy camper.

As for albergues closing, take a look right now at these sites to see which albergues may be closed.

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/mobile/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/

https://www.gronze.com/camino-norte

I recommed you book something for Guerika if you intend to stay there as it fills up. The muni in Pobena also,fills,up,quickly, so,don't plan on a late arrival there (no,reservations)

Training? I have never trained, but I have also never decided I needed to get from A to B in x number of days, forcing me to walk 30+km a day. I am a 23 km/day walker. I figure it makes no sense to put stress on my body ahead of time, and that that is what the Camino is for.

You ask about aps. I have never used one for the Norte, did have one or two for VDLP, but found the book much more useful. Formthe Norte I used the guide by Editorial Buen Camino and liked it. As it is a fat and heavy book, I took pictures of each page with my phone and left the book at home. For the Primitivo, should you opt for that route midway, I carried the Cicerone book which is also fat, but lighter. I do like taking notes in the guidebooks to remember things better, and inform the authors of any changes in the route.

You will love the Norte. It is hard, but so beautiful, and the food... oh, the menu del dia on the Norte ... excellent decision.

Best of luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Frederic-

I walked the Norte this past May-June. The editorial Buen Camino app I found to be very helpful and highly recommend it. There is also a lot of good information at gronze.com about places to stay.

With respect to your training I would suggest doing as much as possible on hills. The repeated ups and downs the first week of the Norte are part of what makes it challenging. If you don't live where there are hills then try to find a stadium with bleachers or a building with a stairwell to use to mimic hills.

The Norte is beautiful. Wishing you a Buen Camino.

Hi Frederic-

I walked the Norte this past May-June. The editorial Buen Camino app I found to be very helpful and highly recommend it. There is also a lot of good information at gronze.com about places to stay.

With respect to your training I would suggest doing as much as possible on hills. The repeated ups and downs the first week of the Norte are part of what makes it challenging. If you don't live where there are hills then try to find a stadium with bleachers or a building with a stairwell to use to mimic hills.

The Norte is beautiful. Wishing you a Buen Camino.

Thank you so much for your answer. I really appreciate it. Your idea about finding bleachers is awesome! I will for sure try to do it. Have a great day!

Hi all! I will also be starting from Irun or San Sebastian around the same time and have a question about shoes. Last summer I walked the Frances wearing trail runners, which I found to be the perfect shoe. With the weather in October, would you all suggest heavier hiking boots, or should trail runners be alright?

To be clear, my trail runners were just heavy-duty trainers with great grip.

Thanks!
HJ

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello,

Hope this finds you well. :)

I am totally new to this forum...and I do hope I can get some answers.

I will start the Camino del Norte in Irun on Oct.11th and make my way to Santiago de Compostela. A few questions:

-Training: I consider myself in a good shape, but I am not an athlete. I started to train a bit 2 weeks ago and I walk 7-10km/day. I will add a backpack next week. Is this enough? Is there more physical training I shall do for this particular route? It seems that it is rougher than the Camino Frances so I am still hesitating.
-Weather at that time of the year vs clothing needed : I am expecting it to be a little chilly which I prefer. I also expect rain which I don't want too much, but I prefer to be prepared. :) If you did the Camino del Norte at that time of the year, what are your recommendations?
-Lodging : I read that some albergues were closing in October until the "season" starts over next year. Do you believe I will have trouble in finding lodging?
-Book or apps : It seems that a lot of pilgrims prefer to have the actual book over the apps. I would prefer the apps to travel as light as possible. Do you find the apps (wise prilgrims/buen camino) useful/accurate or the book is the very best?
-Extra days : I gave myself 3-4 days more to finish it just to make sure. Do you think it is enough? Should I plan a little longer?

Well, that is what I have been having in mind so far. Can't wait to start!

Thank you all and I am looking forward to reading about your experience. :)

Oct November perfect trekking time, lots of accommodation so don’t worry. Not clear how far you want to walk per day. 25/30 km average good

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.