• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advices not related with transport, Equipment and logistics

La Brique Jaune

Official member of la confradia del pinza del oro
Time of past OR future Camino
2017: SJPDP to Finisterre
2024: SJDP to ?
Hi To All,

Some advices i would like to know before my first Camino.

1-Take picture of peoples you meet.
2- Exchange email address to stay connected with people that may change your life and you don't know this right now.
3- Take your time and watch nature.
4- If you want a second part of carrot cake...take an another one.
5- Try to talk more with people.
6- The section Sarria-Santiago can be toughest one. Especially in July-August
7- If you want to abandon talk to somebody like the hospitalerios

8- And what's yours ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When I first watched the forum (before I joined) I saw a notification from a person who had booklets with the words to the Spanish Mass and also some prayers, (possibly with translation) which were helpful to English speaking pilgrims. If you are that person or know where to get such a booklet please answer me!

Great advice.
Mine is...Let go of expectations and goals and just allow yourself to enjoy everything there is about this walk whether you to get to Santiago or not.
PS And don’t pack anything that you are not prepared to throw away! ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I first watched the forum (before I joined) I saw a notification from a person who had booklets with the words to the Spanish Mass and also some prayers, (possibly with translation) which were helpful to English speaking pilgrims. If you are that person or know where to get such a booklet please answer me!
The Catholic Truth Society, CTS publish an English Spanish mass book for about £2.50 plus postage. Check out their bookshop online.
Buen Camino!

It can't be said often enough: Pack light!
Not only will your body feel better and recover faster from carrying less weight,
but the constant packing and unpacking and trying not to forget anything is so much easier with fewer items.

Superlight is the way. ‍♂️

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Great advice.
Mine is...Let go of expectations and goals and just allow yourself to enjoy everything there is about this walk whether you to get to Santiago or not.
PS And don’t pack anything that you are not prepared to throw away! ;)
Great advice! Take the journey as it comes.

These three quotes from Buddha seem most appropriate for life on or off the camino.

"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."

“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, nor to worry about the future, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.”

“Set your heart on doing good. Do it over and over again, and you will be filled with joy.”

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When she is impatiently waiting for me to finish packing (the CPAP and accouterments), remember its not me that she is impatient with, it is packing the CPAP.

Figure our a way to gather up my stuff faster!
Thank you for the out loud laugh!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

For the Mass in English and Spanish (printable version), visit www.misas.org/sta.tic/descarga/missa_es_en_.pdf. For daily scripture readings of the Mass in English, visit www.ewtn.com.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's not a race. enjoy the Camino…eat, drink, meet other pilgrims, engage with the locals, swim in the sea, and take time to experience some of the culture and history that quietly, and often times exuberantly, surrounds and sustains the Camino.

Peanut butter. Took me 2 weeks to find "crema de cacahuete". Almost cried when I did. I know it is culturally weak of me but don't care. Mmmmm!

Last edited:
Excellent advice by OP. I would only add the following:
1) Yes take pictures of the people you meet, but also write their names down. You will meet so many wonderful people that when you get home you may not remember. The people I met was the best part of the Camino for me.
2) Take your time. I saw many people walking too fast and always wondered why they were in such a hurry. There is too much to see.
3) Sometimes the best views are behind you, so stop and turn around. I saw some great sunrises.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Perhaps something to remember when you meet the odd peregrino/a who is annoying you (snoring/hogging the power socket/talking loudly late at night/rustling plastic bags before dawn...) - 'mercy triumphs over judgement' i.e be kind, don't judge.

And if you find someone who is grumpy, give them one of your smiles - they must need one: I packed plenty and although your pack doesn't get lighter when you give them away, you might feel that your step lightens just a little.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Quote:

The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives.

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Quote:

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.

Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"Few people know how to take a walk. The qualifications are endurance, plain clothes, old shoes, an eye for nature, good humor, vast curiosity, good speech, good silence
and nothing too much...."
----Ralph Waldo Emerson,
----Country Life, 1858.

My first walks were very .. let's call them goal oriented. I mostly concentrated on the joy of walking, spending very little time on the places I blew through, falling in with other fast walkers. Alas, it may have been what I needed at the time, but I've had to revisit many of the places and actually see them.

I've since learned to take the time to enjoy where I'm going, taking time to enjoy a menu del dia, watch the sights, watch the locals and, most important for me, stop to see the places that are all too easy to rush through. If nothing else, then just to get a few more sellos. You may meet some interesting people that way.

Now I plan on making stops, plan on attending markets, explore the side streets, and plan on staying an extra day, or two, when I get to interesting places. Especially places like Atapuerca and the larger cities, with their rich culture - old as well as new.

It's not a race.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My first walks were very .. let's call them goal oriented. I mostly concentrated on the joy of walking, spending very little time on the places I blew through, falling in with other fast walkers. Alas, it may have been what I needed at the time, but I've had to revisit many of the places and actually see them.

I've since learned to take the time to enjoy where I'm going, taking time to enjoy a menu del dia, watch the sights, watch the locals and, most important for me, stop to see the places that are all too easy to rush through. If nothing else, then just to get a few more sellos. You may meet some interesting people that way.

Now I plan on making stops, plan on attending markets, explore the side streets, and plan on staying an extra day, or two, when I get to interesting places. Especially places like Atapuerca and the larger cities, with their rich culture - old as well as new.

It's not a race.
Right! I very much agree. The only note on the side: I got fed up with the menu del dia, so I soon learned to look for other food.

Peanut butter. Took me 2 weeks to find "crema de cacahuete". Almost cried when I did. I know it is culturally weak of me but don't care. Mmmmm!

Yes! I missed the dark rye bread I eat here in Finland. I have to admit, though, that peanut butter tastes better with lighter bread.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The advice I needed (and got) on my first camino? When it all gets too much, take a day off and sit in the plaza. The next day, get up and Just Keep Walking. You can do it.

I love this advice.

Another option, anywhere with wifi, any time in the whole wide world:
3F87F005-382B-4F81-AAC9-C566708017F2.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Share your blister pack freely, the kindness will come back in so many ways.

It can't be said often enough: Pack light!
Not only will your body feel better and recover faster from carrying less weight,
but the constant packing and unpacking and trying not to forget anything is so much easier with fewer items.

Hi , pack light is in my opinion relative .
My pack is around 9kg. and for me that’s light.

When I was young ;) we walked always in the mountains and my pack was around 15kg. Because we had to carry our own food supply of about four days .

Wish you well , Peter .

You'll be amazed at how contented you can be, with so little.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back