• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advise about warm sleepingbag

Wheelchairpilgrim

Wheelchair pilgrim, in annual stages to Santiago.
Time of past OR future Camino
NL to Rocamadour. Hope to arrive 2025 in Santiago
Hi,

I have a question. About sleeping bags.

For 3 years now I do parts of the Camino by wheelchair. Last year I took a small tent with me and my airbed and sleepingbag but I was way to cold.
Last time I took a lightweight synthetic (10°C) sleeping bag with a liner and in the coldest nights an emergency blanket.
I was rolling in September (in Belgium and northern France) and the most cold night was 4°C and I felt frozen (because of my health I am cold quickly). So now I am looking for a new sleepingbag, as compact as possible, responsible down and a comfort temperature around 0.
And maybe most difficult, not to expensive (<300 euro/260 pound).
I have seen the ones from cumulus (panyam 450), any one experience with those Polish sleeping bags ?

Or anyone good experience with other compact and warm down sleeping bags?

Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have you looked at the Alpkit.com down bags? Maybe get in touch with them and see if they can help with specific solutions? Good luck on your camino!

I believe that in the EU sleeping bags have to be sold with a rating. At any rate try comparing the ratings on your bags adjusted for the comfort you found with other bags that you are thinking of buying. Here is a picture of the rating for a bag I bought in Spain attached to the stuff sack.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@nidarosa
no, i did not know that one. I will check it out.

@Rick of Rick and Peg
Thanks for the picture. I think your sleeping bag is a bit like what I already have. Not warm enough for me.

I think I do need one. When I camp (with car) I always take a 0°C sleeping bag with me. But this one is a giant army sleeping bag and to big to take with me. But than I can finaly sleep well (even in summertime I use this one).
I always wear baselayers, warm socks and even a bottle filled with hot water but that is just not enough with a sleepingbag that is not around 0°C.
I have a medical condition that make me feel cold really quickly. Also because I do not move a lot (I am in a wheelchair) and that make that I am often very cold.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That one sound good. I was searching for reviews about this one but I can not find it.
Anyone experience?
Maybe I just order and see how this one is (it is free to return it) .
Thanks. More advises are still welcome.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Here is a link with reviews (i'm not an employee of Decathlon, honest!)

I once slept in a tent in the Arctic Circle - it was summer but even so, the ground was frozen and it was pretty chilly. I'll try and find out the brand of sleeping bag I was in from my friends and let you know.

Perhaps having a down vest (sleeveless) or jacket, along with another warm item to put over your thighs, inside a sleeping bag, would work well and have more versatility than a heavier sleeping bag.

@C clearly
When taking other items (like downjacket) that I will not use it will even take more space in my 35l backpack and also those I should have to buy also. That mean it will be not ideal for me.

@Frances Bat thanks for the link but I found those alreadly but I always prefer reviews that are not on the dealers page.
I am interested in the brand you used on the artic circel. Even those are maybe a bit to much.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, try a down fill from Agismax from Aliexpress. Packs very small and weighs 800g. Reasonably priced also.

Sorry for the delay in answering. The sleeping bag I used in the Arctic Circle was this Rock Empire - Ontario plus. It is a Czech brand. We weighed it and it was 1.7kg. Here are some reviews in Czech but you can run them through google translate - people are saying that they experienced cold patches when they tried them out.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.