• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Affordable "virtual Camino" app with Street View?

Prentiss Riddle

Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada
Time of past OR future Camino
Português and/or Francés in 2023
I know that this is a perennial topic, but technology changes and some of the threads of the past no longer have current information.

My question: Is there a reasonably priced way to do a "virtual Camino" where I record pedometer steps from my walks at home and can see my Camino progress on Google Street View?

Or maybe I'm asking the question wrong. Are there generic GPS apps that let you walk a track "virtually" and have Street View support?

What I've found so far:

I've been using the World Walking app and it's okay, I guess, but it just shows my progress on a map (not even a good one) and has a handful of Wikipedia-like articles as local color. No Street View, not even photos.

There's a site and app called "The Conqueror" with a virtual Camino that's apparently like what I have in mind, but it's expensive - $35, much of which goes toward a medal they send you when you complete it (more if you also want a t-shirt). I don't mind paying a few bucks for an app but I have no interest in a medal.

Recently I learned of the site Walking 4 Fun which has a very 90's feel (no app, and heavy use of Comic Sans!). It has no Street View but does show crowdsourced photos from the area where you stop.

So... is there a way to do what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I know that this is a perennial topic, but technology changes and some of the threads of the past no longer have current information.

My question: Is there a reasonably priced way to do a "virtual Camino" where I record pedometer steps from my walks at home and can see my Camino progress on Google Street View?

Or maybe I'm asking the question wrong. Are there generic GPS apps that let you walk a track "virtually" and have Street View support?

What I've found so far:

I've been using the World Walking app and it's okay, I guess, but it just shows my progress on a map (not even a good one) and has a handful of Wikipedia-like articles as local color. No Street View, not even photos.

There's a site and app called "The Conqueror" with a virtual Camino that's apparently like what I have in mind, but it's expensive - $35, much of which goes toward a medal they send you when you complete it (more if you also want a t-shirt). I don't mind paying a few bucks for an app but I have no interest in a medal.

Recently I learned of the site Walking 4 Fun which has a very 90's feel (no app, and heavy use of Comic Sans!). It has no Street View but does show crowdsourced photos from the area where you stop.

Thanks!

Hi! I'm currently using "The Conqueror" app to walk a virtual Camino with a few friends. I agree that it's expensive and I too have no interest in the medal. About 3 months ago, I did the Hadrian's Wall walk to see what the app was like. I actually stopped logging miles about 10 miles from the end because I didn't want to get the medal in the mail.

5 days ago, some friends and I decided to use the app for the Camino de Santiago walk. It's the best app I've been able to find. Here are my thoughts...

After using the app for the Hadrian's Wall walk, I was not super impressed. The app was not very intuitive and the street view is decent. Although, there were a few places I landed that had some pretty cool views like George Washington's ancestral home and seeing the wall in a number of places was fun. I didn't know what Hadrian's Wall was until I did the walk so it was fun to learn a bit of history.

When I saw that "The Conqueror" had added a Camino walk, I immediately told myself I would never do that! How in the world, after actually walking it, would I do it on some app! Yeah, a little snobby, I know. But, after talking with two friends, who are walking the Via di Francesco with me next fall (fingers crossed), we decided to give the app a go. So far, it's been very fun! We started with a kickoff time on my porch with tapas and Ramon Bilbao wine. While we were sitting there, a good friend and fellow Camino pilgrim "happen" to walk by. He joined us and shared tapas, wine, and stories from his Camino which was very special as my two friends have not yet walked it. Before he left, he prayed a Pilgrim blessing over us. Hmm...it seems the Camino provides in Portland, Oregon too!! As I walk, I carry my pilgrim shell and a rock for when I arrive at "Cruz de Ferro". I look at my Brierly's guide book to see where I would be if I were actually in Spain and reminisce over photos and my journal from my previous trips on the Camino. It's actually been really fun so far! I would recommend it.

Here are my thoughts on the app. While the app is not intuitive, at least to me, their customer service is incredible!! I asked multiple questions on their support email and had answers within 10 minutes. As I use the app, it becomes easier to use. I would say it's not ideal but it's the best I have found on the market.

Since starting, each of us has had someone who wanted to join us. So, we now have seven in our community and a few more considering joining. It's been fun to share communication and photos in the app with my group of friends each day.

If you want to follow our journey, I have a Facebook with the user name, Caminoclosner. Our community on The Conqueror is "Ramon Bilbao Babes." Let me know if you end up doing this app. I'd love to follow your journey!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Along with a couple of friends I'm recording my progress on W4F but also keeping track on Google Earth.
Currently we are enjoying the flesh-pots of Leon:

1601813260721.png

With "Terrain" switched on you can wend your way along the Camino using the "Play Tour" icon.
Be careful with the speed at which you view it, it can be quite nausea inducing if too fast!

Just today I finished the Arizona Trail (AZT) on Walking4fun, 813 miles. I'm using the free version, been walking locally since early June. Every night I plug in my steps and get pictures (every .3 mi) of what I covered that day. It works for me.

I'm about to embark on the Camino Frances for my next one. As I'm moving into colder weather, that will warm my heart!

Blessings, Priscilla

What I've found so far:

Thanks!
I use Relive, allows you to include pictures etc.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

What I've found so far:

Thanks!
Hi, I have used the conqueror app. It is good and you follow your progress right along the Camino. The also often offer discounts via Facebook.

Along with a couple of friends I'm recording my progress on W4F but also keeping track on Google Earth.
Currently we are enjoying the flesh-pots of Leon:

View attachment 84394

With "Terrain" switched on you can wend your way along the Camino using the "Play Tour" icon.
Be careful with the speed at which you view it, it can be quite nausea inducing if too fast!

I didn’t know about Terrain! I’m going to explore that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip! I walked 8 miles today in the Columbia River Gorge in Washington state, United States. The Cape Horn trail felt so much like walking down the Pyranees to Roncesvalles which would have been where I was in Spain today. So grateful for virtual walks and all the technology we have today to enjoy it! Buen Virtual Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

What I've found so far:

Thanks!

Hello Prentiss Riddle,
I started virtual walking about five years ago on the Global Corporate Challenge which was through my work, Corporate, eh. It was fun with a work team & an online community. Much diminished now but I've made global friends from the online community & we're still walking together though not always with GC.
This year I walked the Great Ocean Rd with the Conqueror website using street view. Not much fun but passable. I got the medal but haven't walked with them again, not enough involvement.
Through the Camino Forum I heard of Walking4Fun & now I've walked the Camino Frances, which I haven't done IRL. That was a marvellous experience as others from the Forum walked the trail too, all of us at different stages, communicating through the Forum. Reference @Jeff Crawley who answered you, he called it Band of Trudgers. Some of us have finished CF & moved on to other trails with W4F, we drop back in to catch up with the others. I'm walking the Arizona Trail atm. The best thing to me about this site is the multitude of photos that Ryan Carpenter includes with each day's walk. He has walked each of these walks himself & takes a photo about every .3-.4km along the trail.
My work is now doing walks through World Walking, the first had street view but not the second. Not as engaging as W4F though, even with some team interaction to add interest.
My preference is W4F for interest & engagement. I don't have time to sit clicking ahead in street view so all Ryan's photos are great. The only apps/sites that cost money were the Global Challenge, sponsored by my work for a few years, & the Conqueror sites.
I hope you find the style that suits you. Buen Camino!
@Jeff Crawley, I hadn't seen the Terrain addition so will have to look. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm currently using "The Conqueror" app to walk a virtual Camino with a few friends. I agree that it's expensive and I too have no interest in the medal. About 3 months ago, I did the Hadrian's Wall walk to see what the app was like. I actually stopped logging miles about 10 miles from the end because I didn't want to get the medal in the mail.

5 days ago, some friends and I decided to use the app for the Camino de Santiago walk. It's the best app I've been able to find. Here are my thoughts...

After using the app for the Hadrian's Wall walk, I was not super impressed. The app was not very intuitive and the street view is decent. Although, there were a few places I landed that had some pretty cool views like George Washington's ancestral home and seeing the wall in a number of places was fun. I didn't know what Hadrian's Wall was until I did the walk so it was fun to learn a bit of history.

When I saw that "The Conqueror" had added a Camino walk, I immediately told myself I would never do that! How in the world, after actually walking it, would I do it on some app! Yeah, a little snobby, I know. But, after talking with two friends, who are walking the Via di Francesco with me next fall (fingers crossed), we decided to give the app a go. So far, it's been very fun! We started with a kickoff time on my porch with tapas and Ramon Bilbao wine. While we were sitting there, a good friend and fellow Camino pilgrim "happen" to walk by. He joined us and shared tapas, wine, and stories from his Camino which was very special as my two friends have not yet walked it. Before he left, he prayed a Pilgrim blessing over us. Hmm...it seems the Camino provides in Portland, Oregon too!! As I walk, I carry my pilgrim shell and a rock for when I arrive at "Cruz de Ferro". I look at my Brierly's guide book to see where I would be if I were actually in Spain and reminisce over photos and my journal from my previous trips on the Camino. It's actually been really fun so far! I would recommend it.

Here are my thoughts on the app. While the app is not intuitive, at least to me, their customer service is incredible!! I asked multiple questions on their support email and had answers within 10 minutes. As I use the app, it becomes easier to use. I would say it's not ideal but it's the best I have found on the market.

Since starting, each of us has had someone who wanted to join us. So, we now have seven in our community and a few more considering joining. It's been fun to share communication and photos in the app with my group of friends each day.

If you want to follow our journey, I have a Facebook with the user name, Caminoclosner. Our community on The Conqueror is "Ramon Bilbao Babes." Let me know if you end up doing this app. I'd love to follow your journey!
I
Hello lisac,
Last September I walked Hadrian's Wall over six days in real life. It was awesome!

I didn’t know about Terrain! I’m going to explore that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip! I walked 8 miles today in the Columbia River Gorge in Washington state, United States. The Cape Horn trail felt so much like walking down the Pyranees to Roncesvalles which would have been where I was in Spain today. So grateful for virtual walks and all the technology we have today to enjoy it! Buen Virtual Camino!
All being well you should find Terrain at the foot of the Layers stack

1601902668773.png
Tool>Options>3D View takes you to

1601902829441.png

beware, a 3.0 exaggeration makes rolling hills look like the Andes (hyperbolic exaggeration! ;)). The "Navigation" tab allows you to vary your speed.

Otherwise all you need is a .KMZ/.KML or .GPX file of the chosen path (for Caminos see the resources area of this site).

Happy wanderings!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am also using the Conqueror app to walk the Camino Santiago in lieu of the Invierno in real life which was the plan to do in June. I started end of May, my data is transferred via Strava, 62 km to go, another two weeks more or less.
It is a great exercise - through aches and pains, lockdown back spasms, it motivates me to keep on walking. Kudos to my two eleven year old long legged fox terriers who is walking every step of the way with me.
I follow my progress on their website - the app is not great to view one’s route on the map.
The medal is not important for me too - the post is any way unreliable in my neck of the woods.
Next up will be Lejog - Land’s End to John o’ Groats, but first I am looking forward to arriving in Santiago de Compostela.

I just finished Hadrian’s Wall on the Conquerer app. I walked the CF in 2012 and in 2013 took a friend back with me to finish from Santiago to Finestere. She and I will be starting the CF virtual soon. ☺️

I
Hello lisac,
Last September I walked Hadrian's Wall over six days in real life. It was awesome!
That’s so great! I really enjoyed seeing the photos of the wall and hope to see it in person at some point!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All being well you should find Terrain at the foot of the Layers stack

View attachment 84474
Tool>Options>3D View takes you to

View attachment 84475

beware, a 3.0 exaggeration makes rolling hills look like the Andes (hyperbolic exaggeration! ;)). The "Navigation" tab allows you to vary your speed.

Otherwise all you need is a .KMZ/.KML or .GPX file of the chosen path (for Caminos see the resources area of this site).

Happy wanderings!
Thank you so much!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.