• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Afraid to do El Camino - Photography

Jaimephotos.com

We are planning to take El Camino next year, but I'm a little afraid that I will get frustrated. My wife loves walking as I do, but in addition I love my photography. From our previous trips to Spain, Our daily walks usually took longer that expected because I had to stop for taking a photo on any corner.

Based on this experience, I don't know how much time during the day I can afford to stop taking photos in El Camino for 15 days, specially since we have an schedule.

On the way home is rewarding downloading and sorting thousands of pictures taken, but I'm afraid that I will get frustrated doing El Camino and not being able to do my photography because of the daily schedule, or I will get frustrated not being able to enjoy El Camino because of the photography.

This is easy to negotiate when you quickly stop and "Point and Shoot" with a little camera, but I'm taking my D-SLR ,and I like to plan, move around and compose my scene before shooting, as many of you probably do it too.

Have you had any experiences on this issue ?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It sounds as if you and your wife have different reasons for doing the Camino. I recommend discussing these reasons before leaving and planning from there. Depending on the outcome of that discussion, you might consider hiking separately during the day and meeting at the albergue either that night or in a few days hence. This way, you have time for each other and for the things that interest each of you.

I hiked with my husband this pass fall. One surprising outcome was a rekindling of your relationship, even after 38 years. We shared a lot of laughs and helped each other other through tendonitis, food poisoning, and a 24 hr. virus that when through the pilgrims.These were unexpected and I am mentioning it to you as a reason to leave time in your schedule for unplanned things.

I wish you and you wife a buen Camino

Having walked with a DSLR myself, I can understand where you are coming from. Without knowing your level of fitness or the distances you intend covering each day however, I can't offer much more than general advice.

Bring your camera but be prepared to trade its weight for something else. The goal of carrying no more than 10% of your body weight should still be achievable so long as you accept that other non-essential items will have to be sacrificed. Keeping the pack weight down will make it easier to get into better positions for photos and make it easier on your body too.

I would suggest that you let your wife walk on at her pace while you stop to take your photos. You may find that over the course of several kms, you catch up with her on and off throughout the day. I certainly found that when I was walking with people I met along the Camino. You no doubt know each other's pace by now and will be better able to judge if that will be true for you too.

I am also sure that your wife is well aware of your enthusiasm for photography and realises that you would like to bring your camera with you. She may however prefer to share the experience of walking with you. Now is the time to discuss what each of you is hoping to get from the Camino.

In answer to your main question, there is more than enough time to stop and take photos along the way. I spent many unsuccessful hours trying to track butterflies and other insects hoping they'd settle long enough to take a decent shot.

Due to the fact that I was taking an extended trip, I tried to limit the number of photos I took on any one day due to the number of cards I had. I still ended up buying extra cards while in Spain. You might want to enforce a similar limit. Sometimes restrictions have a way of focusing the mind and boosting creativity.

Hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pieces said:
yes, i left my camera at home....
That was a drastict decision, but I guess you did really enjoyed El Camino. Back in the 70's and 80's I did cross country walks in my country, and I was not missing any camera, because in those times film photography was not my passion, and I did really enjoyed walking without thinking about photography.

Thank you

dazzamac said:
I am also sure that your wife is well aware of your enthusiasm for photography and realises that you would like to bring your camera with you. She may however prefer to share the experience of walking with you. Now is the time to discuss what each of you is hoping to get from the Camino.
Wise adviser, I see you have good experience with your photography and walking El Camino, I will also try to follow some of your advices.
Thank you

Thank you all for your suggestions, It is always good to hear others opinions. I will probably consider a bit from everyone. BTW, when I mentioned that we are on a schedule, is because we live in Miami and we have to comeback on time to work, we are just taking 2-1/2 weeks vacations from the office, and everything will have to go almost by the clock. I see my self walking El Camino and in two days back in Miami sitting in my office. But there no other way to do it for now. That's why I also get the pressure taking as much good photos as I can in this type of trips.

We are NOT doing "All" El Camino from France, we are doing it from "Ponferrada" almost 100 miles from Santiago, we have no time for more.

Perhaps we will do El Camino again after we retire, and this time we would not care how much time I spend walking or taking photos.

Thank you !!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is very easy, you will most likely end up walking separately at times, but you will have all day together once you get to your destination at the end of each day.

From Ponferrada it is about 120 miles, 9 days or so, if you have 15 days, you will have plenty of time to walk at a leisurely pace. Also, that part of the camino is fairly crowded, so if your wife is afraid of walking on her own, that might not be an issue.

In any case, I am sure you will find your own paces and compromise on things; personallyl, I would HATE walking with a photographer who stops for minutes just for the sake of taking a picture, it would wreck my nerves.

Whatever you end up doing, buen camino, amigo!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.