• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

After hike shoes/sandals?

UberTrekker

Time of past OR future Camino
25 April to 7 June 2018
My Camino starts April 25 from SJPdP.
The long range forecast shows the usual mixed weather conditions for this time of year.

My question is regarding what is the recommended footwear for post hike afternoons and evenings?
A second pair of closed shoes, or sandals?

Hiking sandals seem popular to air feet and allow them to dry, but the temperature looks low, below 10 degrees C, and often wet, obviously defeating the whole purpose of wearing sandals to allow feet to dry...?

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'd take only croc style slip ons, worn with socks. Keep one pair of socks always dry to wear to bed.

Last edited:
I have a very light pair of shower sandals. At the end of the day, I use the same shoes I walked in for wandering around. I swap out the insoles (I carry an extra lightweight pair) to allow the insoles to air out, I change socks to a fresh pair, and since my trail shoes don't get moisture build up unless it's been raining, they are good to go.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have left my beloved crocs at home this time. They are just too bulky and heavy compared to flip flops. I don't like walking too far in flip flops but that's not an issue after a camino day!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yep, Teva sandals too, wore them with socks in Winter and even last Summer when I had bad blisters...
Doesn't have to be Teva of course!
And my walking mate only ever took flip-flops, in all weathers....

Welcome to the Forum, @UberTrekker!

I use Chacos after showering, and the built-in arch support feels wonderful after a long day of walking. The drawback is that Chacos are heavy, but for me they've been worth the extra weight.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Crocs for me - lightweight, wore them into the shower, and even walked in them a few km when my feet needed a break from the boots. I just hooked them onto the outside of my backpack.

If you wear sports or hiking sandals WITH your socks, even if wet, the socks and your feet will dry, even in colder weather.

It is important to get out of the hiking boots or shoes you wear, remove the liners, and dry everything out. Remember to scrounge some newspaper if your boots are thoroughly drenched and soaked. This actually wicks water from the interior of the shoe / boot.

I carry a pair of Ecco sports sandals, rugged enough to walk during the day, if needs must.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
TEVA sandals post walk ..... but there again I use TEVA sandals whilst walking. Waterproof socks for really wet days and walking through Galician farmyards. Don't get me started on the techniques for avoiding the cow muck in farmyards which veers between the two extremes of marching through it because I don't care to the leaning against my hiking poles as I navigate the verge at an angle. I usually adopt the latter approach on those days where I have spent the previous evening washing my encrusted socks due to having adopted the former.
The wife, more sensible in such matters, starts the day in hiking shoes but swaps after lunch to sandals to air the feet. She has yet to suffer a blister.

Last edited:
The long range forecast shows the usual mixed weather conditions for this time of year.

My question is regarding what is the recommended footwear for post hike afternoons and evenings?

Hiking sandals seem popular to air feet and allow them to dry, but the temperature looks low, below 10 degrees C, and often wet, obviously defeating the whole purpose of wearing sandals to allow feet to dry...?

Oofo sandals. As supportive as chacos but considerably lighter.. My choice last year and again this year.

I used Keen sandals the first time, and brought a pair of Ecco sandals last year. Both durable enough that I could walk in them should I need to.

Crocs for me - lightweight, wore them into the shower, and even walked in them a few km when my feet needed a break from the boots. I just hooked them onto the outside of my backpack.
I see that a lot of peregrines recommend crocs for post walk relaxing and even for short time hiking in case of blisters. I’m confused. Do you mean this monstrosity? Or is there neater options also called crocs?
A7E0F0A3-4CF2-4CE5-B9D2-A3C1CE1BB65B.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are lots of styles in Crocs--more than the one illustrated above. Do remember you have to have something that works in the shower. So leather Ecco sandals while comfortable are not suitable. I had flip-flops last year but felt a bit of a twit walking around town at night. This year I am bringing waterproof Teva sandals. The most important thing is to let your feet feel that nice warm air. BC

These are the Crocs I use and love them. Excellent amount of cushion and arch support for my rather flat foot. Very light weight. No webbing to get soaked and stink!!

1522950381785.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
8 years of walking Caminos and other long distance trails I have always brought Teva sandals as second footwear but now bring running shoes (sneakers). I alternate one day walking with hikers, the next day with sneakers. It has become more important to me to take care of my feet during the day than in the evening.

I see that a lot of peregrines recommend crocs for post walk relaxing and even for short time hiking in case of blisters. I’m confused. Do you mean this monstrosity? Or is there neater options also called crocs?
View attachment 40893
I agree @Yngla, definitely monstrosity!

€46,-
One thing to remember when considering an alternative pair of shoes or sandals for evening or rest day use, is to remember the "two uses rule." Everything you carry should be usable for at least two reasonable purposes.

For example, a stout pair of sports sandals can be worn in the evenings, on rest days, on arrival at Santiago, and while traveling. They can also be used to actually walk the Camino, if the need arises, like for an injured foot or a problematic blister.

While flip flops and some Crocs are substantial, I could not countenance walking any distance in them. This is because i am a rather stout and largish fellow. I need the support and underfoot cushioning. Those of you who are more 'petite' can maybe carry this off.

I DO carry a very inexpensive and lightweight pair of flip-flop for shower and in the room use. These are considered expendable, so I do not waste a lot of money on them. I use them until they fail, then replace them. They are not intended to go the distance, literally.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I took my Teva trekking sandals for afternoons/evenings and depending on the weather could wear them with socks if I needed to. A bit daggy but who cares!
Me too. I have also taken flip flops for getting around albergue and get to loo/shower..

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
These are the Crocs I use and love them. Excellent amount of cushion and arch support for my rather flat foot. Very light weight. No webbing to get soaked and stink!!

Might take another look at the crocs section. Or maybe the faux-crocs section. My Tevas have a lot of webbing which can be a little prone to stinking after being soaked for some time.

Do you walk in crocs too?

We wore EVA foam birkenstocks. Very light and pack flat with good support. Not great for Basque restaurants but function over style....

Super lightweight Reef flip flops, lets loads of air at my feet. I thought I could not wear flip flops but good quality ones do not hurt my toes.

I recently saw a pair of North Face sandals that looked extremely lightweight and perfect for all Camino purposes. I used Teva sandals and chose the model based on weight described on Teva website.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Crocs worked for me: lightweight, good for shower, ok for short walks in town, more formal than sandals, can be worn w socks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Hi
I take my crocs

For me, Keens. But a much more important point, as has been mentioned, is to consider that these walking sandals will be more than just evening wear. I switched from my Merrill walkers to my Keens mid-way through every day and never had a blister. Can't recommend highly enough the tried and true forum adage to change socks and shoes half to 3/4 through each day for a blissful Camino.

Socks under Tevas for me , even if it does make me feel like Professor Gumby !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

View attachment 40897
That is almost exactly what I took last time, they were great. (Though I shower barefoot). The first time though I made the mistake of taking the lightest pair of flipflops I could find, and by the time I reached Burgos I had worn through the soles.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am taking Teva sandals to give my feet a break from my walking shoes whenever they need it. I was going to take a pair of thongs (don't snigger, that's what we call flip flops in Aus) to shower in but I am thinnking of leaving the thongs home, I'd rather risk catching tinea than slipping on wet thongs and breaking something I might need later i.e. a leg.

For the Teva sandals fans, is there a particular style that you suggest for women? On my first Camino I bought the Tira style because it was adjustable across the toe box to accommodate my badly swollen feet.

When I walked the Camino I took a pair of Tevas. That was about six years ago. In the intervening years I started wearing "barefoot" shoes for about 70% of my life. When I travel now, I take a pair of Tadeevo shoes. Very, very light. Very flexible, you can roll them up into a ball not much bigger than a pair of hiking socks. Look like "normal" shoes (sorry, can't bring myself to ever wear sandals with socks). Great back-up if you get blisters or injuries as they are incredibly soft.

https://tadeevo.com/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a very light pair of shower sandals. At the end of the day, I use the same shoes I walked in for wandering around. I swap out the insoles (I carry an extra lightweight pair) to allow the insoles to air out, I change socks to a fresh pair, and since my trail shoes don't get moisture build up unless it's been raining, they are good to go.
I have done that, too. After a shower, clean dry socks on, nothing wrong with putting your main walking shoes back on to roam around a bit. I would also wash out my main walking shoes when I could. On dry, sunny days when I knew they would dry quick. I would wash them, not in the laundry sink area, and hang them up to dry outside. The shoes and the insoles. I remove the insoles daily anyway even if I do not wash the shoes, and at least wipe them down. Keeps the shoes and insoles from getting smelly and nasty and also nobody is going to mistakenly wear your shoes if there are no insoles in them.
Shoe hygiene is just as important as clothing hygiene. My shoes always look the same in Santiago and they did in Saint Jean. I wonder if some pilgrims see having mucky shoes as a sort of "badge of honour" and puts them above the low kilometre pilgrim set, lol. Any out there that do, fess up, ha ha.

Back to crocs: I have been using crocs on caminos for walking about town for years; black slim slingbacks with my usual black socks in cold weather and without socks in the heat. They are extremely light and do not take up much space in the pack.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.