• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"After hours" footwear?

billbennettoz

Veteran Poster
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Portuguese 2014
Via di Francesco 2015
I leave in 4 weeks for my first Camino, and I have a question about "after hours" footwear -

What do you wear after you've arrived at your destination for the day and you want to go out for a wander?

I know some people use Crocs - but I can't walk any kind of distance in Crocs. Same with flip-flops. Do you put your boots back on to go out again? If so, what if they're wet?

And do you need to give your feet a chance to "breathe?"

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I took flip-flops, but only used them in the shower as I don't like walking in them. I walked in Keens sandals and would wear them in the evening too. When they were wet we sat in a warm bar and they had dried by the time we had finished eating! Next time I will take crocs in place of the flip flops. Added bonus is you can wear socks with crocs and I found my feet were often cool at night!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
"After hours" footwear?

dougfitz said:
A search on 'after hours footwear' came up with 174 hits, including this one http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/equipment-questions/topic12609.html. I don't think there is much to add, but there is plenty of advice already out there.

Regards,

You could search almost any subject related to the Camino and get numerous hits.

I very rarely search archival posts, I think that questions can be asked again regardless of how many times the topic has been raised, people like to interact with others, they like fresh perspectives and answers, which is better than reading dead posts found in the forum archive.

Just because a subject has been done to death doesn't mean that the isn't any new information of value or interest.

Search behaviour

ffp13 said:
I very rarely search archival posts, I think that questions can be asked again regardless of how many times the topic has been raised, people like to interact with others, they like fresh perspectives and answers, which is better than reading dead posts found in the forum archive.
This is off topic, but since it has been raised, it demands a response.

I can understand that for information that is volatile, it is entirely appropriate to ask for the most up-to-date information from recent pilgrims or those knowledgeable about the topic. The weather, walking conditions, information about albergues, etc all seem to qualify. They are about the state of the camino, and that state can and will change, and people can reasonably ask for current information.

In contrast, there is a range of information that is about the essence of the camino, which, if it changes, does so slowly. My understanding of that essence relies as much on the shared experience of pilgrims who might have walked some years ago as it does on someone who walked last week.

Like those who have shared in the past, I am prepared to share my experiences from the Camino and other pilgrimage walks.

My own view is that a responsible forum user would browse or search the relevant topics first for information like this, and then ask for clarification.

Regards,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Crocs for me! You can wear them in all weathers, with or without socks, rain or fine. They are lightweight, look pretty awful, but are sooooo practical. And, after all, we aren't walking a whole day in them, just a bit of mooching around. Anne

If you are wearing boots, then it is good idea to have a pair of decent (teva or something) sandals as a backup, in case you get blisters.

Here is a link to an article about a man who did camino frances in a pair of trainers, and got blisters from hell:
*warning* awful pictures! (Scroll down)
http://www.utsidan.se/cldoc/camino-de-s ... -08-23.htm

He had to spend 51 days in hospital after that.

And unfortunately one needs a pair of flip flops for the shower, as there are people who don't have flip flops and have fungus diseases etc.

DougFitz pointed me to some previous links which were useful -

Invariably these decisions come down to a compromise between what suits you personally, weight, cost, and volume, if you're short on space in your pack.

In Australia we have a chain of stores called Rivers. They're not my preferred store for clothing - :shock: - however they do have a range of sneakers called Barefoot. They come in at a combined weight of 450gms, and give great cushioning and support. Good for walking around a village of an evening, and they could also do some mileage on the camino if I wanted a change from my boots.

However, they're much bulkier than thongs or crocs, but I've discovered my newly bought reflective vest jams nicely into one, and two pairs of socks fits into the other.

They're not cheap though at AUD$39.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
"After hours" footwear?

Susannafromsweden said:
And unfortunately one needs a pair of flip flops for the shower, as there are people who don't have flip flops and have fungus diseases etc.

The problem that I have found with some flip flops is that on wet surfaces they can be dangerously slippery. I expected the crocs to be the same but they weren't. They were great, and if cold I wore socks with the, the were light and hung outside the pack for quick access once in the hostel where boots can rarely be worn.
I took my old loved crocks on my 2nd Camino and it wasn't long before I discovered that they were no longer safe in the wet, once well worn crocs are like icescates in the wet, if you take crocs take new ones.

Re:

[/quote]
The problem that I have found with some flip flops is that on wet surfaces they can be dangerously slippery. [/quote]

On wet cobblestones thongs are are lethal as I found to my cost. I now wear Teva sandles. They stick like the proverbial to a blanket.

billbennettoz said:
In Australia we have a chain of stores called Rivers. They're not my preferred store for clothing - :shock: - however they do have a range of sneakers called Barefoot. They come in at a combined weight of 450gms, and give great cushioning and support. Good for walking around a village of an evening, and they could also do some mileage on the camino if I wanted a change from my boots.
I think of Rivers shoes as urban casual, and the descriptions of the Barefoot range online didn't change that. I would be particularly wary of the company's self-assessment of shock-absorption, durability and slip resistance. The softer elastomer compounds needed for good shock absorption and slip resistance wear quickly, and vice versa. Being 'very good' in all three at once seems intrinsically unlikely.

At around $40, they are a cheap shoe, and if they work for you, that would be money well spent. I would be prepared to spend three to four times that for a good walking shoe, and more for a proper hiking/trekking shoe.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
dougfitz said:
At around $40, they are a cheap shoe, and if they work for you, that would be money well spent. I would be prepared to spend three to four times that for a good walking shoe, and more for a proper hiking/trekking shoe.

Hi DougFitz - yes, I bought the Rivers sneaker as a light weight "after hours" strolling shoe. My hiking boots are Asolo Morans. I've worn them in properly now and they suit me well.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/asolo- ... rFamily=02

Re:

ffp13 said:
Susannafromsweden said:

The problem that I have found with some flip flops is that on wet surfaces they can be dangerously slippery. I expected the crocs to be the same but they weren't. They were great, and if cold I wore socks with the, the were light and hung outside the pack for quick access once in the hostel where boots can rarely be worn.
I took my old loved crocks on my 2nd Camino and it wasn't long before I discovered that they were no longer safe in the wet, once well worn crocs are like icescates in the wet, if you take crocs take new ones.

You are right. I got to test my flip flops if they are slippery. I bought new ones because they were super light, but haven't thought about if they are safe or not.
Thank you.
Off to the bathroom.
Susanna

Having slipped over in my flip flops, and landed on my back on top of my pack, in pain, like a stranded turtle, I would never use them again ! I bought some hiking sandals in Castrojeriz, and they were great. You can use sandals for walking on appropriate stretches, and with socks for chilly evenings. They may look uncool like that, but who cares? :wink:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.