• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

After Portomarin is better to turn right

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.02.14_11h45m01s_001_.png We always went right after the bridge, I assumed this was the traditional way as this was the only way marked then.. Looking at Google maps going left brings you back to the same path and is just a bit longer, if I have read the map correctly.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...ruta-jacobea-duplica/0003_201602G14P14991.htm

According to the news After Portomarin and crossing the river there are 2 possibilties left (historic) and right (alternative). The latter goes through a magical forest whereas the left option goes on a road and passes near farms whith smell of cows.
I just love the smell of cows, reminds me of my childhood in Ireland. For me , it's part of the charm of Galecia to see the farmers bringing home the cows. Like perfume to my nostrils!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I walked that way last May the right turn over the bridge was the only one waymarked. We went up the hill through the woods, and eventually came alongside the road. It sounds as though they have now waymarked both that and the left-turn (older?) route - and those would be in addition to staying on the main LU633 road the whole way.

This sounds like another aspect of the replacement of the old concrete mojones discussed in other threads - as well as installing new markers are the Xunta also marking more alternate paths along the route? This could cause considerable confusion, especially if all you get are the two markers pointing opposite directions as in the photo in the article! But then again, maybe it will also work to scatter the crowds a bit? I remember the morning walk from Portomarin as one of the most crowded (until everyone had overtaken us of course!). If the markers also have the different km distances added as the article suggests they will, maybe it will result in some choosing one way and some choosing the other. Until they all meet up at that solitary bar in Gonzar of course!!

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...ruta-jacobea-duplica/0003_201602G14P14991.htm

According to the news After Portomarin and crossing the river there are 2 possibilties left (historic) and right (alternative). The latter goes through a magical forest whereas the left option goes on a road and passes near farms whith smell of cows.

The photo which accompanies this article, shows two of the new mojones beside a building which is situated just as you come off the bridge from Portomarin: they are pointing to two alternative routes. These new majones have been placed where one of older aluminium signs was situated and which pointed to the right: www.google.co.uk/maps/@42.8053395,-7.6198997,3a,75y,228.98h,79.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sDQmcKc8K-gNT1jl0MBlbAQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en If you look closely on the road surface, you can see faint arrows which do appear to point left also :):) From memory, when I passed here in 2012, we followed the sign and went to the right.

Either way, as Wayfarer has said above, you arrive at the same place in a short distance.

Take care, be safe.

When I walked here in 2014 and 2015, the only route marked once over the bridge was to turn right and then up through the woods. It appears that as part of the replacement programme for the milestones, there are alternative routes being created to split up the increasing numbers of walkers and maybe involve more local businesses in the Camino.

The route to the left is labelled 'historic' in the article but it should be remembered that when the Rio Mina was dammed in the 1950's to create the reservoir, Portomarin was moved out of the valley onto the hillside, and also the roads in the vicinity were re-routed, so I would not think the left route could exactly follow a historic route which would now be underwater.

Just one final 'historic' comment. From the point where the two alternatives re-join on the map, the woodland along the route to Gonzar and Castromaior is marked in my map guide as being famous in the twelfth century as an open air brothel. :rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It wouldn't be the same without the smell of cows and their 'cow pizzas' all over the road ;)

But if indeed there are plans for multiple routes due to heavy Pilgrim traffic, that can only be a good thing surely?

And Mr Brierley and others can sell lots of updated guidebooks :rolleyes:

the 'new' left route makes no sense, for years we have gone up through the woods to the right.

if at least the 'new' route kept us of the side of the highway for several kilometres after the abandoned brick factory... but it appears to converge with the old route right at the point.

so less trees and shade, more asphalt and, the section that could/should be improved on our way to Gonzar, stays the same...

as for the locals on the 'new' route not wanting us (http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...-ver-pasar-peregrinos/0003_201602G15P8991.htm), this could easily lead to chaos as on several sections of the portuguese camino (eg. orbenlle and porriño)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
you can see faint arrows which do appear to point left
The trail to the right washed out a couple of years ago, so a route to the left that went up through some vineyards became the waymarked route. I suspect that the yellow arrows are left over from that detour. The repaired route to the right has been made fairly erosion-proof.

Bridge? Did someone mention bridge? Tradition is a good thing, change is sometimes, occaisionly, once in a while, a good thing. Today you come down and out of Portomarin, cross over by the Club Nautica bridge, and "Keep on
Trucking". On my first Camino following the herd, we crossed over by the metal bridge clearly seen to your right as you pass over. An experience which causes the pilgrim to believe that Saint James is surely watching over his/her attempt to reach Santiago.

Bridge? Did someone mention bridge? Tradition is a good thing, change is sometimes, occaisionly, once in a while, a good thing. Today you come down and out of Portomarin, cross over by the Club Nautica bridge, and "Keep on
Trucking". On my first Camino following the herd, we crossed over by the metal bridge clearly seen to your right as you pass over. An experience which causes the pilgrim to believe that Saint James is surely watching over his/her attempt to reach Santiago.
The last 2 years I have walked this way, the old iron footbridge to the right of the road bridge has been fenced off and is no longer used.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just love the smell of cows, reminds me of my childhood in Ireland. For me , it's part of the charm of Galecia to see the farmers bringing home the cows. Like perfume to my nostrils!!!

In relation to the cows in Galicia for me it is not definetely the same seeing milky cows (friesian)that are the most than seeing the native beef race "rubia galega" . The latter are much more interesting IMO.:)

Being new and never have travelled any of the 3 routes out of Portomarin...which way is 'easier'? I see the left trail is 'longer' and the right way 'shorter', but which way would be easier for an old woman? I am worried about this stretch of the way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Being new and never have travelled any of the 3 routes out of Portomarin...which way is 'easier'? I see the left trail is 'longer' and the right way 'shorter', but which way would be easier for an old woman? I am worried about this stretch of the way.

[ 1 ] May i suggest you stay 10km before Portomarin @ Casa Morgade , 10 euros and only 6 per room or 5 private rooms in a lovely stone setting then an 18km walk to Gonzar where there is Casa Garcia with a dorm with 26 places but also 4 private chambres.
Both these properties do lovely meals.

or another option

[ 2 ] ***** Mercadoira Bar- Restr La Bodeguina , 32 places in rooms of 4-6 people and 2 private rooms
This is a great setting just short [5km] of Portomarin then next day 22km O Porto [ Portos] where you have a private albergue or better still Alb -Pension A Paso de Formiga , 8 in dorm or 2 private chambres.
Thus my dear Old Woman ????? , sorry Fearlesso , i am smiling , you will be sitting in beautiful settings with a nice cold drink and fresh sandwich writing your diary whilst outside the herds are rushing by for the famous Brierley stop overs .
This is a great section to stop in the smaller places with a wonderful atmosphere.
MMDD pages 82-86
You will have plenty of oldies with you Fearlesso , have a great camino and take your time early. The latter stages become a breeze after Leon.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've walked the Camino Francés four times (2010, 2011, 2012, and 2015). The second time I walked, in 2011, we were re-routed to the left coming out of Portomarin because of work being done on the route to the right. It felt very strange to be going a different way after my first time the year before! But it was interesting, and very pretty, to have the perspective of looking back at the bridges that cross the river from a different viewpoint. I think I prefer the route to the right. It's steep as can be first thing in the morning but I leave early enough that it's dark and I can't really see how steep the climb is (which makes me not notice it as much, haha), and soon enough I'm at the top and on my merry way for the day! :)

Caminoheart

P.S. I loved being able to walk across the narrow metal bridge in 2010. I was disappointed when it was closed the next year (and since). I understand, of course, if it's due to safety issues! But it was part of the excitement of the journey. ;)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Depending how you feel on the day, you could choose the path bordering the road, LU633; it is a quiet route. There had been strong winds the night before we walked it and we had to avoid piles of windfall apples. At that stage my husband and I were quite happy to have a fairly easy walk with no worries about looking out for our footing, avoiding tree roots etc. As for calling yourself an "old woman", there will be many older, I think you'll find. We were 67 and 75 on our first Camino. No need to worry, especially on that stretch, you'll be fine.

I went right and enjoyed the forest. But if you don't enjoy the smell of cows you might want to skip all of Galicia. What's so bad about cows?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back