• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

After the Camino

GardeniaGirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi Everyone,

I’m beginning my Camino Frances on April 18, 2022 and have planned to fly home to 🇨🇦 via 🇮🇪 June 16. I’ve given myself lots of time to walk but I think I’ll have at least a week before my reservation on June 12 in Dublin. I’m wondering what others have done after their walk. Is it preferable to go to Southern Spain and rest by the ocean for a couple of days or is keeping active with more sightseeing in either Spain or other parts of Ireland a good idea? I have read some posts about people who finish feeling kind of lost a couple of days after and that concerns me a bit.

I realize that it’s unique to each person but I’m curious what others did who didn’t fly home immediately.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Maureen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Everyone,

I’m beginning my Camino Frances on April 18, 2022 and have planned to fly home to 🇨🇦 via 🇮🇪 June 16. I’ve given myself lots of time to walk but I think I’ll have at least a week before my reservation on June 12 in Dublin. I’m wondering what others have done after their walk. Is it preferable to go to Southern Spain and rest by the ocean for a couple of days or is keeping active with more sightseeing in either Spain or other parts of Ireland a good idea? I have read some posts about people who finish feeling kind of lost a couple of days after and that concerns me a bit.

I realize that it’s unique to each person but I’m curious what others did who didn’t fly home immediately.

Maureen
After my son and I completed the CF in 2016, we spent a few days each in Lisbon, Barcelona, and Paris/surrounding area before coming home. Our trip was greatly enhanced by the after-Camino travel.

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is it preferable to go to Southern Spain and rest by the ocean for a couple of days or is keeping active with more sightseeing in either Spain or other parts of Ireland a good idea? I have read some posts about people who finish feeling kind of lost a couple of days after and that concerns me a bit.
Its a tricky question, but nothing to be worried about. The Camino is NOT a sightseeing trip, and many pilgrims find themselves suddenly rudderless when its over. The transition from Pilgrim to Tourist can be quite jarring for some. As others have suggested, the walks to Finnisterre and Muxia are the best way to transition out of Camino mode, but you won't know if these are right for you until you get to Santiago, and judge you own state of mind as well as the state of your feet.

That time of year you won't need to go to the south of Spain for nice weather. What I suggest is leaving yourself a week after you arrive in Santiago, but leave your plan open. If extending your walk makes sense to you, then do it. If not, Porto is a three hour bus ride away, and a great place to do some actual sightseeing. If the Yellow Arrow's call will not be denied, you can find these in Porto as well. It also has great air links to wherever you might want to go next.

The spare days at the end also take the pressure off of you during your actual Camino. Any combination of unexpected injury, bad weather, or good friends can slow you down from your plan, and the extra uncommitted days mean that you don't HAVE to keep to any particular schedule while on Camino.

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I’m planning to go to Muxia for the day.

The transition from Pilgrim to Tourist can be quite jarring for some. As others have suggested, the walks to Finnisterre and Muxia are the best way to transition out of Camino mode, but you won't know if these are right for you until you get to Santiago, and judge you own state of mind as well as the state of your feet.

I see Finisterre as the place to celebrate a pilgrimage with fun; Muxia with contemplation. Pick your place (or the order of your visit) accordingly.

Keep it open because you never know if you’d like a rest day or two before SdC. Plus Santiago itself is a lovely city that most pilgrims depart from shortly after arriving. And you never know who you’ll end up befriending while walking that may invite you to visit them in their city once you finish!

Not to mention Porto, Madrid, Fatima, and the rest of the great nearby cities and attractions.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I too booked with a lot of cushion before flying home. I went to Muxia for a few days, then went to southern France for a pre-planned visit with friends in their small village. Riding bikes from village to village through the vineyards was a great way to decompress after a Camino. I think next time I will do something similar. After “sleeping around” in Spain, in a different bed every night, it’s nice to plant yourself and just be, before coming home. Re-entry took me a while. 😉

I see Finisterre as the place to celebrate a pilgrimage with fun; Muxia with contemplation. Pick your place (or the order of your visit) accordingly.
I loved both Muxia and Finesterre, each in their own way, but if I had to choose only one, it would be Muxia. I walkedbetween the two in 2015 and again in 2017, staying in Lires both times to break up the walk between the two...no regrets.

I have twice extended my Camino to visit Muxia, to eat in a fabulous restaurant on the seafront called Cordobes, run by a man called Arxires - personally in my five decades of travel, the best in the world. However, I have not been there since the church was struck by lightning and burned down. Has the church since been rebuilt? And have the many votive ships which hung there been replaced? Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have twice extended my Camino to visit Muxia, to eat in a fabulous restaurant on the seafront called Cordobes, run by a man called Arxires - personally in my five decades of travel, the best in the world. However, I have not been there since the church was struck by lightning and burned down. Has the church since been rebuilt? And have the many votive ships which hung there been replaced? Thanks
I have been to the church and inside in 2015 and again in 2017...all looked fine to me. Although I'd heard about the fire, I saw nothing amiss imo.

Hi Everyone,

Maureen
After my 1989 Camino I was living in Madrid. I went back home and to work.

After our 2016 Camino we had a couple more weeks in Spain before our flight home. I had given us two months because I wanted plenty of time and not to feel rushed to race to Santiago to make a plane. I figured there was plenty to see and do in Spain with ant leftover time. We did some sightseeing in Madrid, Toledo, Barcelona, and Valencia (finishing with the Tomatina festival the day before our departure). But we were tired after our Camino and had there been an immediate flight home I think we would have been happy to take it. I don't regret giving us the extra time, though.

For my 2018 Camino, it was a shorter Camino with a smaller buffer. I ended up with four extra days at the end that I used in Porto and Lisbon. As a shorter Camino, I wasn't so tired at the end and enjoyed the sightseeing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walk to Muxia. Look at that broken boat. Look hard at your journey’s end. You have nowhere else to go. It’s over.
Then take a deep breath, maybe two, and start deciding what you’ll do with the rest of your life.
Malaga is pretty cool before the holiday season starts. Madrid is worth an entire Camino, hey, call it a month but by then you’ll have only got to know squit.
I’d probably spend any spare time I had in Santiago: greeting new arrivals, exploring the city, checking out the music scene, trying to scrounge a coffee out of @ivar.

You’ll know what you want to do by the time you get there 😉

Hi Everyone,

Maureen
Hola Maureen, not sure what others have said, but here is my 10 cents. Since you have the time I suggest continuing to walk to the Atlantic (Muxia). Give yourself 3 or 4 days. Then maybe head up along the Atlantic coast of Spain to San Sebastian. Whatever "you" decide be sure to enjoy your time in this interesting country. Buen Camino.

The spare days at the end also take the pressure off of you during your actual Camino. Any combination of unexpected injury, bad weather, or good friends can slow you down from your plan, and the extra uncommitted days mean that you don't HAVE to keep to any particular schedule while on Camino.
This is great advice.

I left myself a two week buffer and had some vague plans for things to do within that time.

Along the way I had such a great experience in Sahagun that I offered to come back and help them after I finished and the offer was gladly accepted.

However, I managed to get a serious illness along the way that required me to stay in hospital and then recuperate afterwards and so my two weeks became 2 days which I ended up using to explore Madrid on the way home.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Following our various Caminos my wife and I have visited Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, and Lisbon. We like to add an urban experience to the more rural experience of walking the Camino routes. We particularly enjoy visiting the great art museums of Spain like the Prado and Thyssen in Madrid.

I was one of those who felt somewhat lost afterward. I felt a sense of anti-climax after returning to Santiago from the end of my walk in Muxia. I felt restless but had no desire to become a mere tourist (that sounds condescending I know) so I brought my flight home forward, staying only two days in Santiago before catching a train to Madrid for the flight. I would have left earlier if I could.
Spain is a wonderful country and I did not do the place justice by leaving so soon, but that is how I felt at the time.

Hi Maureen,

Going to Finisterre after Santiago was my way to finish my journey in Spain.

Santiago was the sum of all the things I lived on Camino and the walk to Finisterre was the first steps of new me. Walking some hundred kilometers before Santiago I felt like I know all I personally need to know about walking (albergues, blisters rain etc...) and how to deal with. So after Santiago, the preoccupations was not there and I was in a state of serenity walking toward Finisterre. For me is was maybe a second Camino. Also seeing the sunset and toward my country and the fact I cannot walk further had I real impact.

For myself, The Camino is a experience I can't do it repetitively, +/- 5 weeks of vacations is hard to get,
going to visit a city for 3-5 days is more achievable. The return flights/transportation was also easier to plan going to Finisterre.

If I understand well (English is not first language) you said you have 3-4 days in Dublin before returning to Canada ? If is was me personally I will use this time to acclimate myself to to "real life" and I will go to Finisterre (or Muxia).

LaBrique

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Keep it open because you never know if you’d like a rest day or two before SdC. Plus Santiago itself is a lovely city that most pilgrims depart from shortly after arriving. And you never know who you’ll end up befriending while walking that may invite you to visit them in their city once you finish!

Not to mention Porto, Madrid, Fatima, and the rest of the great nearby cities and attractions.
Very good advice.

One of the best places that I spent a few days post Camino was A Coruña. It's hard (for me at least) to go from 25 km a day to less than 10. A Coruña has a walking path along the sea that passes by the Tower of Hercules lighthouse, beautiful beaches and a sculpture garden.
It also has a great tapas scene, museums, and a spherical glass elevator going down the side of a hill!

I see a lot of people suggesting going to Finisterre/Muxia after the Camino. Not to disagree, but just to say that when we walked to Finisterre I tended to think of it as part of the Camino and the post-Camino tourism was after that. It might have been different if we had bussed to Finisterre, though.

Hi Everyone,

Maureen
After the walk ... go to to Finistere..then a lot of people go to Porto.... which i highly recommend

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After one camino I drove to the south of Spain to see Granada, Cordoba and the Alhambra -- loved every moment of it. After the second, I drove to Valencia, and then flew to Mallorca to visit the birth place of the patron saint of my parish — loved that too.

Hi Maureen
It's really great that you've given yourself a whole 2 months for this adventure - that gives you lots of time for all kinds of possibilities..!
I'll add a couple of ideas to the mix:
- if you arrive at Muxia/FInisterre and feel you are still not finished, bus over to Ferrol and walk the Camino Ingles and come into Santiago one more time (allow 5 days). It'll be quieter than the CF and very different - in a nice way.
- take the slow, narrow gauge railway, The FEVE, back along the north coast, more or less following the Camino del Norte in reverse. You might even take a (Brittany) ferry from Santander or Bilbao over to Portsmouth or Plymouth, England (a reverse of the medieval pilgrim route). And from there travel cross-country to one of the Wales-Ireland ferry ports. I like Holyhead in Anglesey myself. (This idea arose as COP26 trending right now 😉)

Whatever you do, I recommend a strategy of preparing a few options, but not booking any of them - keep everything open for as long as you can, as who knows what will happen on the CF and what adventures and friendships it may spawn...

There is a good chance when you finish in Santiago that you realize you're a walking machine at that point and there is no reason to just stop. So Finisterre and Muxia is an obvious choice. When I got back to Santiago from Muxia, that's when I realized it. So I started walking the Portuguese backwards to Lisbon. Made it to Tomar after 62 days on the road and called it quits.... it was awesome.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Everyone,

Maureen
I met my son in Santiago and we walked to Finisterre together. But it wasn't until we were on our way home that I really relaxed and let go. Instead of returning to the UK by air, we chose to catch a train to Santander and take the ferry to the UK. WiFi is so expensive on the ferry that we didn't pay for a connection. 30 hours without Internet was the space I needed to process the camino experience. Looking out to sea was all the sightseeing I needed 😀

After my first Camino I went to Finisterra and Muxia for a few days each. I used the time to think about what I had just done and went back into the journal I was keeping along the way and filled in details (introspective time). After my second Camino I went to Seville, Spain (tourist time).

Hi Everyone,

Maureen
I went to The Little Fox house near Muxia for 4 days after I left Santiago. Then went back to Santiago for a couple of days then took the bus to Porto for 5 days. The little fox house was great to decompress and spend quiet time processing everything that I had done and experienced. I enjoyed Santiago as everyday people I had met along the way arrived and I got to welcome them and celebrate again.
Porto was really great. My only challenge was that I found it very difficult to be a tourist and not a pilgrim. Every yellow arrow I saw pulled at me to walk.
Leah

Hi Everyone,

Maureen
I can certainly relate to the feeling of loss/displacement after arriving at Santiago. I was lucky enough to be able to return to my home in Andalucia. For this reason I heartily recommend visiting Sevilla/Cordoba/Granada. They are so amazing they can deflect your thoughts from the Frances - they can also act as recce points for the Via de La Plata or Mozarabe!!!!

Somehow I always arrived early in Santiago and used the time to walk to Fisterra and Muxia. This year I had a whole week to play with and took a coach to Valença and walked the last 100 km of the Portuguese Camino.
All good 😎
Oh I forget: one year I also walked the Camino inglés. Took a train to Ferrol from Santiago. Took five days from memory….

Hi Everyone,

Maureen
I enjoyed a couple of extra days in Santiago. A great wind down! Now planning next walk. Anne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Everyone,

Maureen
I arrived home three weeks ago after walking from SJPP to Santiago and on to Finisterre. I stayed in a hotel on the beach a little south of the city, so when I wanted to dine or look around, I had to take a 5 euro taxi into town, but that was fine with me. I had a deck/balcony and just enjoyed the ocean view and beach walks. I was open to going on to Muxia, but found a day and a half of quiet time at the ocean side was what I needed more than one more new thing. Then I slowly made my way back home. 1.5 hour bus ride to Santiago and spent the night. 4 hour train ride to Madrid and stayed at a very nice hotel close to the Plaza Mayor (where I walked to and dined that evening). Next day, flight from Madrid back to the US. So, I arrived in Finisterre midday on 10/22 and arrived home 10/26. I was gone a total of 56 days and was ready to come home, but didn't rush home. Frankly, I doubt I spoke to more than 3-4 people from the time I left Santiago to Finisterre to the time I arrived back home 9 days later. It wasn't planned, but I just followed how I felt and let the experience of my camino slowly soak into me.

The same day I finished in Santiago I met my sister in Vigo but on waking up in a hotel room instead of an albergue the next morning and after doing some touristy things it felt really strange not to be walking the route of the day. After visiting La Coruña then Lugo i couldn't stand the idleness any more and walked from Lugo to Meira where I caught the bus and is halfway to Ribadeo my sister bussed it all the way. After my second camino I took the bus to Finesterre and spent three relaxing days there because it's beautiful and peaceful, after that I spent four days in Oporto and took the train up to Pinhào along the Douro valley which is stunning. I suppose if you have time there would be many options to visit the so many beautiful places in Spain or Portugal, the bus and train services are very good.

Santiago is definitively worth couple of days to wind down. Take the Cathedral roof tour. I prefer to stay at Roots and Boots albergue -- just 1.5 km from the Cathedral. A worthy continuation of the peregrino experience. If you walk on to Finnistere (easy) spend an hour in the Fishermens Museum. Then you will understand pulpo. Porto is a delightful city. Take the walking tour. Before we started walking north in 2015 my family and I took an overnight kayaking trip down the Douro River with Rui Calado of Portugal Kayak Sea Kayaking Tours. www.portugalkayak.com. Great trip. great guide, great value. Then you will understand wine vine growing. In Madrid my new favorite hostel is OK Hostel, not too far from the Prado and Reina Sophia museums. Bom Caminho

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Everyone,

Maureen
My husband came over to France after I did a planned portion of the chemin du st Jacques and we stayed mostly in Provence and relaxed. I continued to walk every day around 15-20 km and since where we were was quite flat he joined me. Have a great camino! Lisa

The church in Muxia is open, the ships are still hanging from the ceiling and we even got a stamp from the priest, an extra bonus

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The church in Muxia is open, the ships are still hanging from the ceiling and we even got a stamp from the priest, an extra bonus
Thank you - is it right that the reredos (retablo) has been lost? I attach some before and during pictures - I don't suppose you took any pictures of what the interior looks like today?
My regards
Peter

Attachments

• 1387999868690-1 Muxia church on fire.jpg
    1387999868690-1 Muxia church on fire.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Retablo_(desaparecido)_del_santuario_de_la_Virgen_de_la_Barca_(Mugía,_La_Coruña).jpg
    Retablo_(desaparecido)_del_santuario_de_la_Virgen_de_la_Barca_(Mugía,_La_Coruña).jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
A lot will depend on your frame of mind when you finish, so I agree with the suggestions to wait and see. If you go alone, you may find that after your walk there are not many people who understand your transcendent state of being and (as in my case) desire to keep walking forever. I was fortunate to visit relatives in Holland who really grasped the significance of the experience I had had. First was a cousin-in-law who is is an avid walker and hiker of the GR routes and who completely “got it.” We spent hours talking about mundane stuff like socks, rain gear, sleeping arrangements, but also about the meditative aspects of walking, the concept of pilgrimage and so on. Second was a nephew, restless in his job and ready to harken to the dream of the open road, who listened raptly and went to walk the Camino Frances himself the following spring. I was very grateful to these two open souls who allowed me the space to share a little of what I was experiencing. On both of my caminos (Frances and LePuy), I really needed time to reflect and, I would even say grieve, the end of the journey. Which doesn’t answer the question of where to go when it’s over, but I would recommend any place that allows you to walk, reflect, and gradually readjust to “normal” life.

Thank you - is it right that the reredos (retablo) has been lost? I attach some before and during pictures - I don't suppose you took any pictures of what the interior looks like today?
My regards
Peter
@peterhore These are from October 2018, when I attended mass there. It appears the retablo may be painted rather than carved, as it appears in your "before" picture. But I can't recall. There were ship models suspended from the angels and a display case near the front of the church.

I got there shortly before mass began and when it ended the lights started going out within minutes, so not much time to look around. I hope I have the opportunity to get back some day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211115-152802_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211115-152802_Photos.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20211115-152909_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211115-152909_Photos.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 16
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Everyone,

Maureen
G’day Maureen,

Here’s one really from left field. The Camino has a spiritual pilgrimage as its underpinning. Easter Day in 2022 is Sunday 17 April. The week before in Spain is a fabulous celebration of Christ’s trial, crucifixion and resurrection. If you haven’t experienced it before, go a week early. Spanish people told me there are two magical cities in Spain, Santiago and Toledo. Try to spend the week in Toledo, the experience of this week there(it’s the seat of the Catholic Church in Spain) and the nightly processions ( some in the early morning hours) are mind- boggling. You may need to book - we were in a boutique hotel about 50 yards from the Cathedral). This should be a top bucket list experience for anyone. Then take the Camino.

De Colores

Bogong

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think everyone is different and has different needs at the end of their Camino.

We walked the Frances in 2019 and the day after we finished we drove down to Madrid for 4 days before flying home. I have never in my life felt less like being a tourist.

What I needed was for those 4 days to be relaxing - to be lying on a beach or casually strolling through SdC. My body needed a rest, my mind needed a rest and I felt like I needed time to process the previous 5 weeks - the physical exertion, the achievement and what it all meant to and for me. We got to Madrid and I frankly wasn't in the frame of mind to be looking through castles and galleries and guide books. We did it but I know I didn't get full value from it. It was a waste. We went everywhere we were supposed to but I can't recall most of it - my mind and heart just wasn't in it.

My suggestion to you is to leave those spare days free for now, with a casual plan to relax in the North of Spain - the weather should be great. If you do feel like doing the tourist thing, it won't be too hard to organise quickly!

My advice is to stay flexible in your planning, especially if you are going to other countries in the Springtime! We are still experiencing a world wide pandemic. Hopefully by Spring, with better weather, boosters, and no additional significant variants you will be able to move freely between schengen counties. However, each determines their own lockdowns and test requirements. Therefore having alternatives, without being locked into specific itineraries, as much as possible, is, IMO the way to go. You may be on the camino before you know what destinations may be available to you post camino?

Its a tricky question, but nothing to be worried about. The Camino is NOT a sightseeing trip, and many pilgrims find themselves suddenly rudderless when its over. The transition from Pilgrim to Tourist can be quite jarring for some. As others have suggested, the walks to Finnisterre and Muxia are the best way to transition out of Camino mode, but you won't know if these are right for you until you get to Santiago, and judge you own state of mind as well as the state of your feet.

That time of year you won't need to go to the south of Spain for nice weather. What I suggest is leaving yourself a week after you arrive in Santiago, but leave your plan open. If extending your walk makes sense to you, then do it. If not, Porto is a three hour bus ride away, and a great place to do some actual sightseeing. If the Yellow Arrow's call will not be denied, you can find these in Porto as well. It also has great air links to wherever you might want to go next.

Buen Camino
Porto is definitely on the list. Thanks Very much for your reply 👍🏻

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think everyone is different and has different needs at the end of their Camino.

We walked the Frances in 2019 and the day after we finished we drove down to Madrid for 4 days before flying home. I have never in my life felt less like being a tourist.

What I needed was for those 4 days to be relaxing - to be lying on a beach or casually strolling through SdC. My body needed a rest, my mind needed a rest and I felt like I needed time to process the previous 5 weeks - the physical exertion, the achievement and what it all meant to and for me. We got to Madrid and I frankly wasn't in the frame of mind to be looking through castles and galleries and guide books. We did it but I know I didn't get full value from it. It was a waste. We went everywhere we were supposed to but I can't recall most of it - my mind and heart just wasn't in it.

My suggestion to you is to leave those spare days free for now, with a casual plan to relax in the North of Spain - the weather should be great. If you do feel like doing the tourist thing, it won't be too hard to organise quickly!
You just put into words exactly what I fear it may be like for me, too. Thank you very much for sharing your experience, I really appreciate it 👍🏻

I went to The Little Fox house near Muxia for 4 days after I left Santiago. Then went back to Santiago for a couple of days then took the bus to Porto for 5 days. The little fox house was great to decompress and spend quiet time processing everything that I had done and experienced. I enjoyed Santiago as everyday people I had met along the way arrived and I got to welcome them and celebrate again.
Porto was really great. My only challenge was that I found it very difficult to be a tourist and not a pilgrim. Every yellow arrow I saw pulled at me to walk.
Leah
That sounds lovely thanks for sharing 👍🏻

G’day Maureen,

Here’s one really from left field. The Camino has a spiritual pilgrimage as its underpinning. Easter Day in 2022 is Sunday 17 April. The week before in Spain is a fabulous celebration of Christ’s trial, crucifixion and resurrection. If you haven’t experienced it before, go a week early. Spanish people told me there are two magical cities in Spain, Santiago and Toledo. Try to spend the week in Toledo, the experience of this week there(it’s the seat of the Catholic Church in Spain) and the nightly processions ( some in the early morning hours) are mind- boggling. You may need to book - we were in a boutique hotel about 50 yards from the Cathedral). This should be a top bucket list experience for anyone. Then take the Camino.

De Colores

Bogong
Well that’s certainly a unique idea! I don’t think I can leave my family any earlier (or longer) than I already have planned but it sounds like an incredible thing to experience, thanks very much for your reply 👍🏻

A lot will depend on your frame of mind when you finish, so I agree with the suggestions to wait and see. If you go alone, you may find that after your walk there are not many people who understand your transcendent state of being and (as in my case) desire to keep walking forever. I was fortunate to visit relatives in Holland who really grasped the significance of the experience I had had. First was a cousin-in-law who is is an avid walker and hiker of the GR routes and who completely “got it.” We spent hours talking about mundane stuff like socks, rain gear, sleeping arrangements, but also about the meditative aspects of walking, the concept of pilgrimage and so on. Second was a nephew, restless in his job and ready to harken to the dream of the open road, who listened raptly and went to walk the Camino Frances himself the following spring. I was very grateful to these two open souls who allowed me the space to share a little of what I was experiencing. On both of my caminos (Frances and LePuy), I really needed time to reflect and, I would even say grieve, the end of the journey. Which doesn’t answer the question of where to go when it’s over, but I would recommend any place that allows you to walk, reflect, and gradually readjust to “normal” life.
How wonderful for you. That sounds like the ideal way to wind down. Thanks so much for sharing that 👍🏻

Santiago is definitively worth couple of days to wind down. Take the Cathedral roof tour. I prefer to stay at Roots and Boots albergue -- just 1.5 km from the Cathedral. A worthy continuation of the peregrino experience. If you walk on to Finnistere (easy) spend an hour in the Fishermens Museum. Then you will understand pulpo. Porto is a delightful city. Take the walking tour. Before we started walking north in 2015 my family and I took an overnight kayaking trip down the Douro River with Rui Calado of Portugal Kayak Sea Kayaking Tours. www.portugalkayak.com. Great trip. great guide, great value. Then you will understand wine vine growing. In Madrid my new favorite hostel is OK Hostel, not too far from the Prado and Reina Sophia museums. Bom Caminho
Wow it sounds like you had lots of energy left! I hope I will, too. Thanks so much for your reply 🙂

The same day I finished in Santiago I met my sister in Vigo but on waking up in a hotel room instead of an albergue the next morning and after doing some touristy things it felt really strange not to be walking the route of the day. After visiting La Coruña then Lugo i couldn't stand the idleness any more and walked from Lugo to Meira where I caught the bus and is halfway to Ribadeo my sister bussed it all the way. After my second camino I took the bus to Finesterre and spent three relaxing days there because it's beautiful and peaceful, after that I spent four days in Oporto and took the train up to Pinhào along the Douro valley which is stunning. I suppose if you have time there would be many options to visit the so many beautiful places in Spain or Portugal, the bus and train services are very good.
That sounds lovely, Alison. I hope I’ll have enough left in the tank for more walking 😄

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I arrived home three weeks ago after walking from SJPP to Santiago and on to Finisterre. I stayed in a hotel on the beach a little south of the city, so when I wanted to dine or look around, I had to take a 5 euro taxi into town, but that was fine with me. I had a deck/balcony and just enjoyed the ocean view and beach walks. I was open to going on to Muxia, but found a day and a half of quiet time at the ocean side was what I needed more than one more new thing. Then I slowly made my way back home. 1.5 hour bus ride to Santiago and spent the night. 4 hour train ride to Madrid and stayed at a very nice hotel close to the Plaza Mayor (where I walked to and dined that evening). Next day, flight from Madrid back to the US. So, I arrived in Finisterre midday on 10/22 and arrived home 10/26. I was gone a total of 56 days and was ready to come home, but didn't rush home. Frankly, I doubt I spoke to more than 3-4 people from the time I left Santiago to Finisterre to the time I arrived back home 9 days later. It wasn't planned, but I just followed how I felt and let the experience of my camino slowly soak into me.
Slowly seems to be the key word. I really like your idea of staying at the beach. Thanks very much for replying 🙂

Somehow I always arrived early in Santiago and used the time to walk to Fisterra and Muxia. This year I had a whole week to play with and took a coach to Valença and walked the last 100 km of the Portuguese Camino.
All good 😎
Oh I forget: one year I also walked the Camino inglés. Took a train to Ferrol from Santiago. Took five days from memory….
So much energy! I wonder if I’ll be the same🤷🏼‍♀️. Thanks so much for your reply 🙂

I can certainly relate to the feeling of loss/displacement after arriving at Santiago. I was lucky enough to be able to return to my home in Andalucia. For this reason I heartily recommend visiting Sevilla/Cordoba/Granada. They are so amazing they can deflect your thoughts from the Frances - they can also act as recce points for the Via de La Plata or Mozarabe!!!!
Definitely on my list of places to visit! Thanks for your reply 👍🏻

€60,-
I was one of those who felt somewhat lost afterward. I felt a sense of anti-climax after returning to Santiago from the end of my walk in Muxia. I felt restless but had no desire to become a mere tourist (that sounds condescending I know) so I brought my flight home forward, staying only two days in Santiago before catching a train to Madrid for the flight. I would have left earlier if I could.
Spain is a wonderful country and I did not do the place justice by leaving so soon, but that is how I felt at the time.
Yes I have to be prepared for that possibility too. Thanks for sharing that 👍🏻

Walk to Muxia. Look at that broken boat. Look hard at your journey’s end. You have nowhere else to go. It’s over.
Then take a deep breath, maybe two, and start deciding what you’ll do with the rest of your life.
Malaga is pretty cool before the holiday season starts. Madrid is worth an entire Camino, hey, call it a month but by then you’ll have only got to know squit.
I’d probably spend any spare time I had in Santiago: greeting new arrivals, exploring the city, checking out the music scene, trying to scrounge a coffee out of @ivar.

You’ll know what you want to do by the time you get there 😉
This sounds perfect, thank you 🙏🏻

Very good advice.

One of the best places that I spent a few days post Camino was A Coruña. It's hard (for me at least) to go from 25 km a day to less than 10. A Coruña has a walking path along the sea that passes by the Tower of Hercules lighthouse, beautiful beaches and a sculpture garden.
It also has a great tapas scene, museums, and a spherical glass elevator going down the side of a hill!
This sounds interesting, thank you! 👍🏻

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Maureen
It's really great that you've given yourself a whole 2 months for this adventure - that gives you lots of time for all kinds of possibilities..!
I'll add a couple of ideas to the mix:
- if you arrive at Muxia/FInisterre and feel you are still not finished, bus over to Ferrol and walk the Camino Ingles and come into Santiago one more time (allow 5 days). It'll be quieter than the CF and very different - in a nice way.
- take the slow, narrow gauge railway, The FEVE, back along the north coast, more or less following the Camino del Norte in reverse. You might even take a (Brittany) ferry from Santander or Bilbao over to Portsmouth or Plymouth, England (a reverse of the medieval pilgrim route). And from there travel cross-country to one of the Wales-Ireland ferry ports. I like Holyhead in Anglesey myself. (This idea arose as COP26 trending right now 😉)

Whatever you do, I recommend a strategy of preparing a few options, but not booking any of them - keep everything open for as long as you can, as who knows what will happen on the CF and what adventures and friendships it may spawn...
The ferry is something I hadn’t even considered! I really like this idea thanks very much for sharing this 🙂

€46,-
Make the decision when you arrive at Santiago, you can be anywhere in that part of the world in a few hours. You may find the journey changes your mindset along the Way from what it is before you start, sometimes the unplanned turns out amazing.

"Embrace the detours"

Personally the last few times i have really enjoyed staying along the west coast (Rias Baixas) after completing the camino. I think Pontevedra is a great base, lovely historic squares that come alive in the evening and close to some lovely white sand beaches (Areas, Mogor etc). I stayed this summer for a week along the Ria (inlet) de Pontevdra out in PortoNovo/Sanxenxo. It is an old school Spanish resort, a pleasant place in itself but also very close to more wilder scenery with deeper connections to the history of the area - hence you wont feel like you are losing the camino feeling as easy as one would say, wandering around a major city in the heat. Photo is of the hermitage of our lady of Lanzada place of worship by the celts and then Christians, about 10km from Sanxenxo.
sanxenxo.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Everyone,

Maureen
One thing you will probably find, and I noted when finishing, is that you will want to spend some time celebrating and also saying 'good-bye' to other pilgrims you have met along the way. I spent 3 days doing this as people you've walked with finish on different days and people schedule their flights home to different parts of the world on different days. The lingering over coffee or tapas and recounting the good, bad and ugly of the Camino was a really special component of my 'post-Camino'. You may never see these people again and you shared a lot together, so my advice is not to rush out of Santiago!

Hi Everyone,

Maureen
I finished my Camino October 27, 2021. First I spent a few days just chilling in Santiago. Then I did a bus tour out to Finistera & Muxia that was just wonderful. Then I took the train to Barcelona and spent 5 days there. Barcelona is just a fantastic city. There are mountains to climb, museums, and an awesome beach to chill.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back