• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

After the day is done - shoes

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Having walked past Caminos I know weight carried is key however I also know that having something comfortable to slip into after a long day is also important.

I have always cut corners on the latter and am considering talking my comfortable Birks on this next Camino...however they weight 560 grams!!!

Anyone who has previously done this? Comments welcome!

Guy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having walked past Caminos I know weight carried is key however I also know that having something comfortable to slip into after a long day is also important.

I have always cut corners on the latter and am considering talking my comfortable Birks on this next Camino...however they weight 560 grams!!!

Guy
I'm taking my J'hayber sandals I had to buy on the CF when I got a hot spot on my heel and wearing them for a few walking days saved a blister from developing.....yes they are going in my pack in May, all 422g with pleasure:). Cheers Lori

On my first Camino in 2013 I saved weight and took flip flops instead of comfortable trainers for after the day's hike. The flip flops were responsible for the only blister I ever had walking over 2000 Camino kilometers. Since then I have always taken a pair of trainers and have always appreciated the comfort and freedom they give me in the late afternoons and evenings. I frequently walk around the town/village I am staying in and my feet are very used to being pampered, so no flip flops or any other non robust footwear. Works for me. Aidan.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I take a simple pair of Tevas, I like flip flops but the are hard to do much exploring in in the evening (especially in a bigger city where distances are greater) With the Tevas you can also ware socks if it's cold or it may be possible to ware them in an "emergency" (what ever that is) for a short day or two? Or take both flip flops weigh nothing and they are easy to go to the wash closet:)

Cor that's a fair bit of weight Guy, but if you know they are super comfortable it might be worth it for a relaxed end to the day. I prefer lightweight plastic shoes like crocs; wearable for walking, lounging, showering etc.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wore flip flops every evening. Wore them to the shower, and they stayed on after. Lightweight. Perfect.
I now own a pair of Source walking sandals. They are brilliant. They take up a little more room though. I used to keep my flip flops in one of side pockets meant for a water bottle.
If you get flip flops i recommend those with a ridged or bumpy foot bed (not flat and smooth) The ridges and bumps give the sole of your foot a massage while you're wearing them.

I also wore flip flops at the end of the day and never had any problems. They also did double duty as shower footwear as well

Crocs. Although I hear Birkenstocks are now making a lightweight plastic number, so that may suit you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Plastic Birkies all the way. They come in a number of dofferent models, and colours, now.

I prefer light weight Krocs or even Walmart toed plastic. My feet really need to breathe after a day of walking in boots. Yes...to shower. Yes, to walking in town. Yes, to lack of smelling feet.

For my regular walk I used New Balance trail runners. For "after hours" these New Balance sandals [link below] were a great Christmas gift. Very light, can be carried inside the backpack or by hanging in the back [my pair of sandals was hanging next to my pair of spare socks, ready to be used on a minute notice]. My New Balance Combo [trail runners and sandals] performed flawlessly during my camino. Good luck with your after hours shoes, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Link to the sandals:
https://www.famousfootwear.com/Prod...eight=350&paddingWidth=40&anchor=bottomcenter

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My second pair of shoes are sandals that are sturdy enough for an afternoon of walking the Camino if my feet need a break from shoes.

Plastic Birkies all the way. They come in a number of dofferent models, and colours, now.
These are on my wish list. Having bought Birkenstocks online and not getting the right fit I am reluctant to try this again given the cost of postage in Australia. My nearest store seems to be in Melbourne which is 680 km away. One day! Meanwhile I use cheap plastic scuffs/slides from bargain shops. Cost a few dollars and weigh less than 150 gm for the pair. They are good for showering and the soles are thick enough to wear comfortably about town in the evenings. Easy to slip on if making a loo visit in the middle of the night. Unlike Birkenstocks, not an alternative for walking in unless truly desperate but thankfully I haven’t been there yet.

Last edited:
I don't bother. I wear boots on my caminos and put them back on. Carrying another pair of footwear is not necessary..and I would find that carrying another pair cumbersome ..so I don't

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't bother. I wear boots on my caminos and put them back on. Carrying another pair of footwear is not necessary..and I would find that carrying another pair cumbersome ..so I don't
Omar, what do you wear inside the albergues then? Or do you go barefoot? I find the tiles floors increadibly cold, plus walking barefoot is a big no non for those of us with plantear fasciitis.

Omar, what do you wear inside the albergues then? Or do you go barefoot? I find the tiles floors increadibly cold, plus walking barefoot is a big no non for those of us with plantear fasciitis.
I just put my boots on!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wear a Vasque trainer shoe for hiking and walking around town. Inside the accommodation, since every ounce counts, I use a althletech 8 oz open toe slipper ($7.00 in K-Mart). They look a lot like open toe beach shoes. If it's cold I put socks on with them. At night I use them in the shower, towel dry them and find a place in the room that is warm -by morning they are dry. They are pretty beat up by the time we are done, so I buy a new pair for the next trek.

Last edited:
I would have sworn that I would not wear thongs/ flip flops. ever.
But after two weeks of hot feet and a fair amount of blisters on my first Camino, I resorted to a set of cheap Chinese flip flops and strolled into cold, rainy Astorga for general shopping.
No more cold tiles and to this day, my feet love the freedom of air and movement after being constrained into hot boots, perambulating outside as well as inside the house.
Buy with your eyes and what feels comfy....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/V3mSdWZjbTOyzHGr1

you might even add finger socks from Injinji...

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I like Sanuk sidewalk surfers. Essentially a flip flop with covered toe. Comfortable, lightweight, and pack flat. Easy to slip into during lunch breaks when boots are off.

Before my first Camino, I consulted my chiropractor about footwear for after-walking and he strongly recommended taking something that would continue to provide some compression--not flipflops, he said, because after a day of walking with boots that compress and support your feet, you could experience foot problems if you don't continue to wear something with some compression and a sturdy sole. He approved my choice of Merrell waterproof walking sandals, which are moderately heavy but provide some compression, can be worn with socks if it is cold, and are sturdy enough to be worn on the trail in place of my boots, if necessary. Carrying the extra grams are worth it to me.

Guy
Comfy hiking sandals recommended

I decided to take my birks.
1) They are so comfy after a long day.
2) I am doing a lot of traveling after my Camino and I want something other than my boots to explore in.

I am going to supplement them with a really cheap and really light flip flop for showers. My feet are my everything in this trip though so I decided to pamper them with something open-air and comfy.

@marylynn; I had the same idea of looking after the demands of my feet like you describe, but I felt so much freedom and alternate training of other muscles in my feet my using thongs/ flip flops.
I have had flat feet / front sunken arch my whole life and I swear that I have gotten the prettiest wet pronts coming out of the shower that I ever got.
I suppose to get them well aired is the main objective, though !??

Xeroshoes trail at 350gm, I can walk in them if needed, shower in them, wear them in the evening so they meet the multi use criteria.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Guy
Crocs or Keen are both lightweight. You might find something suitable with either option. Both can be worn in the shower.

I have never been able to wear Birkenstocks. The shape of the hard, rigid inner sole absolutely kills my feet (which are rather flat on the bottom). The shape of our feet are as individual and unique as the shape of our bodies.

Ok. For some reason I thought the big shoe racks at the entrance of the albergues were there for people to leave there boots and not drag in the mud and dirt. Must make for some grouchy hospies.
I rarely stay in alberques but my routine is similar wherever I stay...shower,out to lunch then back to relax. At a hotel I take my boots off in the room. I still recall the poor fella who left his boots in the racks at the front of an albergue and had them stolen.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cheap flip flop sandals.
If I'm going to roam around would just put hiking shoes back on. While on Camino wash the hiking shoes every chance I could on sunny days where they could dry in the sun. Also makes for healthy foot hygiene.

Crocs, have worked well for me. Until I saw the light and gave up on hiking boots permanently, my Crocs were used a few times to walk some complete stages when I had blister issues from my boots.
Now that I wear light weight trail shoes, my Crocs are primarily just for evening wear now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks to everyone who gave me great feedback! Reflecting a bit more I will plan on taking the Birks with me considering past issues with Plantar Fasciitis (although thankfully never while completing a Camino walk) and that I am leaving in slightly over a month:) and have left looking for an alternative somewhat late.

Final decision will be made once I weigh the fully loaded backpack which has to come in the 9 to 10 kg maximum range...which means that sadly the waffle iron, instant pot, spare sleeping cot and family portraits all have to come flying out of the bag ;).

Buen Camino to all!

Guy

Strength training will do more to help you along than saving half a kilo of weight. Hit the gym, bring your birks, have an incredible journey.

Guy

Flip flops worn with those Japanese socks that divide the big toe from the rest.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I brought Tevas sandals to the start of CF but when we did a weigh up, I sent them to the end with our heavy luggage and took some flip-flops bought at a souvenir shop at SJPP. They lasted till Santiago but no longer, my usual Havaianas will be my next choice. The flip-flops were fine for evening walks around villages and towns, aired the feet and were super light.
We wear them just about everywhere in Australia, call them Thongs. Only risk over summer is heal cracks in your skin, some moisturiser fixes that if it occurs.

I have seriously flat feet and am now wearing custom orthotics, which have corrected my decade-long knee pain. I’m now trying to balance weight/convenience/the health my arches for my after hours/albergue shoes. I'm leaning toward off-the-shelf arch supports in something light, maybe swim shoes.

Has anybody else with finicky arches found a good solution for lightweight after-hike shoes?

Last edited:
I went through three systems of orthodic until I got to Bauerfeind soles cut to match, that solved my problems.
I don´t know what took me so long ..
Have now reached 10.000 kms and 4 pairs of boots since ´12 where I skipped my bike and walked to work instead.
Getting your feet the best of solutions is vital !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For me the most comfortable resting shoes are the Vibram FiveFingers.
At the present time I use the KSO EVO model, just 250 grams of total space for every single bone of my feet.

IMG_5190.JPG

Guy
Not sure if they are still avaliable or not but I swear by Keen Whispers. Very light and can do double duty in really hot weather or once I make it to the sea. It is always wise to enter the water with something on your feet. I hate stepping on jellyfish and sea urchins, in particular.

A close equivalent would be some hiking sandals, preferably with a closed toe, to keep sand and pebbles out.

Flip flops - but then I wear them all the time normally as well, so my feet are used to them

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Guy

I did carry a 96 gram pair of sandals, mainly for showers. At night, I would wear those around the facility, in the shower, etc. When Caleb and I explored the village or city that where we were staying, however, I would remove the hiking insoles in my trail running shoes and replace them with a set of thinner, ultra lightweight insoles (to let the regular ones air out), put on fresh socks and wear the shoes I walked in.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.