• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

After-thoughts on Porto to Santiago

Adelina

Adelina
Time of past OR future Camino
'18 Astor-Stgo '19 St Jean-Carrion '22 Porto-Stgo
I had walked two parts of the Frances on my own and thoroughly enjoyed it. My husband decided to accompany me this year! Though I have talked a great deal about the Camino, my husband actually wrote down his thoughts. I hope you enjoy!

MI CAMINHO MAY 2022

In mid-May 2022, my caminho partner-Adelina, mi esposa (wife) and I left Porto, Portugal to begin our walk to Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain. It was a fine day, not too warm or cold. We started in the Porto suburb of Matosinhos. I was reminded of our Northern California weather, as there was a fog coming in along the Atlantic coast. That felt good for embarking on a first day’s walk with a backpack.

The entire caminho pilgrimage phenomenon was an unknown to me until about 8-10 years ago when Adelina began to get interested in learning about it and doing it. I confess [a very Catholic term in this context!] to having long harbored deep anti organized-religion feelings in part due to my atheistic upbringing perception that this is mostly a religious activity, but the caminho experience has broadened my perspective. At least I can enter a church, and appreciate the architecture, art, stained glass windows, and acoustics.

One of my biggest worries before undertaking the long walk, was if I would be able to do at all. A variety of physical conditions had, in the last few years been limiting the distances I could walk. I had mild anxiety about how lodging might work out as well as how I would react to the other humans we would encounter.

I decided to cast caution to the wind, “echar un cana al aire” in Spanish - Pluck a gray hair and let the wind take it, and just do it. That is not to say that there weren’t days when I questioned my ability to keep on keeping on. By the end, those doubts vanished. The backpack and I kind of became one, and nothing beats carrying all you need on your person.

People ask what my main goal was in walking the caminho. I think it was overcoming my fears and insecurities about physical and logistical concerns. Overcoming one’s fears is in and of itself a spiritual pursuit.

The experience of being together with Adelina, my walking and life partner continuously day-in and day-out was another theme with practical and spiritual aspects. In our daily lives, we all get caught up in the many routine chores of functioning in society and maintaining a household. On the caminho, there are practical considerations as well of course, but they’re simplified, and you don’t get as bogged down in the mundane. Sharing every waking moment day after day is a unique experience and the caminho companions one meets and becomes friends with along the way enliven it even more.

Quite a few philosophers and spiritual figures throughout the ages have offered that walking in and of itself can be a meditation. Whether it is “forest bathing” among Redwoods, or a prisoner in the yard making circles in that sterile and cold enclosed space. Walking can distract us from our daily cares. It brings us back to the immediate moment. Even walking long stretches through towns and cities has a meditational quality.

The first night of our caminho, we had a room in a small fishing village, Vila Cha. After we settled in, we took a walk around the town. As we hadn’t walked that much on the first day, it was a pleasure to explore the place on foot. One would be unlikely to stop, much less visit such a town, if one were a traveler driving through that region. Later we walked a short distance down the road to what might have been the only restaurant in town.

They were out of the sardinhas we had our hearts set on, but we ordered a fresh fish cooked on a coal grill. The gentleman was grilling it on a home BBQ. Then the son of the owner walked by with a whole head of lettuce he’d just picked in their garden for our salad. Across the road, all the beached fishing launches lay ready to go out for the following day’s catch. Indeed, at about 7 or 8 am the next morn we heard sirens announcing to the town that the fisherfolk were back. It was a real down home active fishing community.

Each town had its own flavors and specialties. One day in Galicia, we’d been intending to go to one town, but along the way we got rather wet from constant rain, so we stopped in the nearest town - Redondella - thinking of just getting coffee and a light snack, but an international puppet festival was happening. It turned into a delightful, and unexpected experience. Part of the joy of being a pilgrim on a journey, whatever one plans one encounters these types of serendipitous, unexpected surprises. Were I a spiritual person of a more traditional religious path, I would embrace that the creator directs us to these to witness the depth, variety, and magnitude of all creation-natural and human.

I have discussed with others who have walked the caminho/camino/chemin/weg etc. what percentage of pilgrims walk for spiritual reasons. Answers have resulted somewhere between 10% and 15%. However, the official pilgrim office posts that well above 50% of pilgrims walk for spiritual reasons. There was a moment along our journey where it crossed my mind that there’s also a sector of people on the way, who are doing it because it’s the “cool” or “hip” thing to do as well as a hike that they can complete.

The spiritual nature of o caminho has to do with appreciating the web of creation, human and the rest. Many times, our pace was slowed, so that my companheira could use an app on her phone to identify a flower or tree. Deeping our wonder at the depth and variety of them all contributed to feeling how small I am. Merely a tiny grain of sand along the long shoreline, the creator’s endless waves washing upon us, slowly breaking us down into even smaller pieces.

Hearing all the languages others spoke was another door to the magnitude of the wider world. Being an amateur language-learner, I much enjoyed “practicing” my Portuguese, Spanish, French, Italian et al. One afternoon while meandering around Santiago de Compostela, I struck up a conversation with a letter carrier. He turned out to be a font of knowledge about Gallego -the language of Galicia. It is quite close to Portuguese.

The diversity of the people we encountered and their personal stories were also fascinating. We learned a great deal about Spain during Franco’s dictatorship from folks who had lived through it which made that history far more palpable. We walked with an Andaluz named Santiago for a way, and the still open wounds of the Spanish Civil War were alive in his telling. He recommended that we watch the film“La Trinchera Infinita,” “The Endless Trench” in English.

Adelina had this, IMHO obsessive compulsion to touch every Mojón – Caminho marker, but it must have brought us luck, because we never got lost.

Then, how is one to approach the entire matter of what o caminho/el camino represents? It is obviously a matter of individual belief, persuasion, passion, lifestyle, goals, desires, and surely many more factors. Each pilgrim would most likely have their own answer.

I have a million and one reflections on what my caminho was. Part of me is drawn to speak and write about the experience, but another part is skeptical of encouraging anyone to do it. I am amazed I was able to physically complete the challenge, and I have to admit I found a lot of joy and beauty along the way.

Peace.

REFERENCE:

We walked the coastal caminho. Further up and into Galicia, we left the coast. The coast of Galicia is full of fjord like “rias” we went by. Our daily average was around 13 miles. In Portugal, perhaps 20-30 miles of it is along boardwalk. Other sections meander in and out of towns, forests, and farms. Eucalyptus is grown for paper pulp, and we passed thru tree plantations.

In both Portugal, and southwestern coastal Galicia we went over many hills. They are not high mountains, steep and long for some stretches, nonetheless.

We crossed an international border-Portugal/Spain on a small 10-person skiff on the Rio Minho/Mino. It was the most seamless border crossing I’ve ever had no customs, no inspection, no nothing.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I had walked two parts of the Frances on my own and thoroughly enjoyed it. My husband decided to accompany me this year! Though I have talked a great deal about the Camino, my husband actually wrote down his thoughts. I hope you enjoy!

MI CAMINHO MAY 2022

In mid-May 2022, my caminho partner-Adelina, mi esposa (wife) and I left Porto, Portugal to begin our walk to Santiago de Compostela, Galicia, Spain. It was a fine day, not too warm or cold. We started in the Porto suburb of Matosinhos. I was reminded of our Northern California weather, as there was a fog coming in along the Atlantic coast. That felt good for embarking on a first day’s walk with a backpack.

The entire caminho pilgrimage phenomenon was an unknown to me until about 8-10 years ago when Adelina began to get interested in learning about it and doing it. I confess [a very Catholic term in this context!] to having long harbored deep anti organized-religion feelings in part due to my atheistic upbringing perception that this is mostly a religious activity, but the caminho experience has broadened my perspective. At least I can enter a church, and appreciate the architecture, art, stained glass windows, and acoustics.

One of my biggest worries before undertaking the long walk, was if I would be able to do at all. A variety of physical conditions had, in the last few years been limiting the distances I could walk. I had mild anxiety about how lodging might work out as well as how I would react to the other humans we would encounter.

I decided to cast caution to the wind, “echar un cana al aire” in Spanish - Pluck a gray hair and let the wind take it, and just do it. That is not to say that there weren’t days when I questioned my ability to keep on keeping on. By the end, those doubts vanished. The backpack and I kind of became one, and nothing beats carrying all you need on your person.

People ask what my main goal was in walking the caminho. I think it was overcoming my fears and insecurities about physical and logistical concerns. Overcoming one’s fears is in and of itself a spiritual pursuit.

The experience of being together with Adelina, my walking and life partner continuously day-in and day-out was another theme with practical and spiritual aspects. In our daily lives, we all get caught up in the many routine chores of functioning in society and maintaining a household. On the caminho, there are practical considerations as well of course, but they’re simplified, and you don’t get as bogged down in the mundane. Sharing every waking moment day after day is a unique experience and the caminho companions one meets and becomes friends with along the way enliven it even more.

Quite a few philosophers and spiritual figures throughout the ages have offered that walking in and of itself can be a meditation. Whether it is “forest bathing” among Redwoods, or a prisoner in the yard making circles in that sterile and cold enclosed space. Walking can distract us from our daily cares. It brings us back to the immediate moment. Even walking long stretches through towns and cities has a meditational quality.

The first night of our caminho, we had a room in a small fishing village, Vila Cha. After we settled in, we took a walk around the town. As we hadn’t walked that much on the first day, it was a pleasure to explore the place on foot. One would be unlikely to stop, much less visit such a town, if one were a traveler driving through that region. Later we walked a short distance down the road to what might have been the only restaurant in town.

They were out of the sardinhas we had our hearts set on, but we ordered a fresh fish cooked on a coal grill. The gentleman was grilling it on a home BBQ. Then the son of the owner walked by with a whole head of lettuce he’d just picked in their garden for our salad. Across the road, all the beached fishing launches lay ready to go out for the following day’s catch. Indeed, at about 7 or 8 am the next morn we heard sirens announcing to the town that the fisherfolk were back. It was a real down home active fishing community.

Each town had its own flavors and specialties. One day in Galicia, we’d been intending to go to one town, but along the way we got rather wet from constant rain, so we stopped in the nearest town - Redondella - thinking of just getting coffee and a light snack, but an international puppet festival was happening. It turned into a delightful, and unexpected experience. Part of the joy of being a pilgrim on a journey, whatever one plans one encounters these types of serendipitous, unexpected surprises. Were I a spiritual person of a more traditional religious path, I would embrace that the creator directs us to these to witness the depth, variety, and magnitude of all creation-natural and human.

I have discussed with others who have walked the caminho/camino/chemin/weg etc. what percentage of pilgrims walk for spiritual reasons. Answers have resulted somewhere between 10% and 15%. However, the official pilgrim office posts that well above 50% of pilgrims walk for spiritual reasons. There was a moment along our journey where it crossed my mind that there’s also a sector of people on the way, who are doing it because it’s the “cool” or “hip” thing to do as well as a hike that they can complete.

The spiritual nature of o caminho has to do with appreciating the web of creation, human and the rest. Many times, our pace was slowed, so that my companheira could use an app on her phone to identify a flower or tree. Deeping our wonder at the depth and variety of them all contributed to feeling how small I am. Merely a tiny grain of sand along the long shoreline, the creator’s endless waves washing upon us, slowly breaking us down into even smaller pieces.

Hearing all the languages others spoke was another door to the magnitude of the wider world. Being an amateur language-learner, I much enjoyed “practicing” my Portuguese, Spanish, French, Italian et al. One afternoon while meandering around Santiago de Compostela, I struck up a conversation with a letter carrier. He turned out to be a font of knowledge about Gallego -the language of Galicia. It is quite close to Portuguese.

The diversity of the people we encountered and their personal stories were also fascinating. We learned a great deal about Spain during Franco’s dictatorship from folks who had lived through it which made that history far more palpable. We walked with an Andaluz named Santiago for a way, and the still open wounds of the Spanish Civil War were alive in his telling. He recommended that we watch the film“La Trinchera Infinita,” “The Endless Trench” in English.

Adelina had this, IMHO obsessive compulsion to touch every Mojón – Caminho marker, but it must have brought us luck, because we never got lost.

Then, how is one to approach the entire matter of what o caminho/el camino represents? It is obviously a matter of individual belief, persuasion, passion, lifestyle, goals, desires, and surely many more factors. Each pilgrim would most likely have their own answer.

I have a million and one reflections on what my caminho was. Part of me is drawn to speak and write about the experience, but another part is skeptical of encouraging anyone to do it. I am amazed I was able to physically complete the challenge, and I have to admit I found a lot of joy and beauty along the way.

Peace.

REFERENCE:

We walked the coastal caminho. Further up and into Galicia, we left the coast. The coast of Galicia is full of fjord like “rias” we went by. Our daily average was around 13 miles. In Portugal, perhaps 20-30 miles of it is along boardwalk. Other sections meander in and out of towns, forests, and farms. Eucalyptus is grown for paper pulp, and we passed thru tree plantations.

In both Portugal, and southwestern coastal Galicia we went over many hills. They are not high mountains, steep and long for some stretches, nonetheless.

We crossed an international border-Portugal/Spain on a small 10-person skiff on the Rio Minho/Mino. It was the most seamless border crossing I’ve ever had no customs, no inspection, no nothing.
Wonderful! I'm leading a group from my church next April up the coastal route, and our first meeting is tonight. I'm going to read this piece to our group as it is so inspiring! Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

MI CAMINHO MAY 2022

Peace.

REFERENCE:

Thank you for posting. We are walking the Camino Portugues in April.

MI CAMINHO MAY 2022

Peace.

REFERENCE:

Lovingly written...you expressed so well why so many of us love the camino. My wife and I will be walking our 8th camino path starting in a few weeks. Every year we put off walking the Portugues in favor of another camino. We almost did that again this year, but decided it's time. I have devised a somewhat complicated route that combines the central, the coastal walk and the senda litoral. We are accustomed to long caminos and there was no way to stretch this out without some jumping around since we decided to start in Porto. I must confess (using your word) that the camino from Lisbon to Porto with all its asphalt and highway walking was less than inspiring.

Any specific comments from your journal about must see places, must stay albergues, quintas, etc. or memorable dining experiences would be most appreciated.

Hope you decide to walk another one. On our first camino, for the first few weeks, we thought the idea of walking another one was insane. By the time we ended, we were already planning our next. The camino not only refreshes body and soul but widens one horizons so masterfully.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lovingly written...you expressed so well why so many of us love the camino. My wife and I will be walking our 8th camino path starting in a few weeks. Every year we put off walking the Portugues in favor of another camino. We almost did that again this year, but decided it's time. I have devised a somewhat complicated route that combines the central, the coastal walk and the senda litoral. We are accustomed to long caminos and there was no way to stretch this out without some jumping around since we decided to start in Porto. I must confess (using your word) that the camino from Lisbon to Porto with all its asphalt and highway walking was less than inspiring.

Any specific comments from your journal about must see places, must stay albergues, quintas, etc. or memorable dining experiences would be most appreciated.

Hope you decide to walk another one. On our first camino, for the first few weeks, we thought the idea of walking another one was insane. By the time we ended, we were already planning our next. The camino not only refreshes body and soul but widens one horizons so masterfully.
thank you for your kind words, very special indeed! Below is our ROUTE IN BOLD (WHERE WE STAYED) with some notes on the route (taken from Stingy Nomads & modified) ± means special! Enjoy & hope this helps.

*MA - municipal albergue, **PA - private albergue (Mac)*live in the moment. CAPS=our stops/lodging
Day 1. PORTO- Labruge, 23km (BUS FROM CATHEDRAL TO MATOSINHOS)
6kmFoz do DouroHotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
12km MATOSINHOS - BEGINHotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
17kmPerafitaHotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
21kmLavraPA**, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
24kmLabruge (Novo Rumo-chocolate)*MA*, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 2. Labruge - Praia Estrela, 25km CASA da PRAIA
2,5km VILA CHA – CASA SANDRA**±MA, hotel, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurantPRAIA MAR**±, bar
3,5kmMindelo (lots of hotels)Hotel, supermarket, restaurant, bar
6,5kmPraia de ArvoreHotel, ATM, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
10kmVila do Conde (N&M)*Eiffel bridgeMA, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
14kmPóvoa de Varzim (M1)**Hotel Torre del Mar Agucadoura Guest houseMA*, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
16kmO Ver-O-MarHotel, shop, restaurant
21kmAguçadoura *ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
25kmPraia da Estela (Orbitur)Camping-cabins, hotel, shop, restaurant
Day 3. Praia Estrela - Castelo do Neiva, 24km
4km APULIA PA-SANTIAGO PRAIA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
8kmFãoPA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
10,5kmEsposende (M 2)**PA*Laranjeira, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
14,5kmMarinhas **MA, hotel, ATM, shop, pharmacy, restaurant, bar

16,8kmMarShop, restaurant, cafe
18kmBelinhoRestaurant, cafe
20kmAntasHotel, restaurant, cafe
24kmCastelo do NeivaMA, hotel, shop, restaurant, bar
Day 4. Castelo do Neiva - Carreço, 19km
4,5kmChaféHotel, ATM, shop, restaurant, cafe
7km ANHAPA-CASA de CAROLINA**±, hotel, supermarket, restaurant, cafe
9kmDarqueHotel, supermarket, restaurant, cafe
11kmViana do Castelo (M3)****PA*, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar RESIDENCIAL LARANJEIRA
16kmAreosaHotel, shop, restaurant, bar
19kmCarreçoPA, hotel, shop, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 5. Carreço, Portugal - A Guarda, Spain, 22km
3kmArmadaHotel, cafe
10km VILA PRAIA d ANCORAPA QUINTA da QUINHAS**±, everything-BEAUTIFUL TOWN!!
15 kmMoledoPA, hotel, shop, restaurant, cafe
18kmCaminha, Portugal (ferry)**MA, PA, hotel*, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Caminha - A Pasaxe by ferry, 700 m, 5min.
22kmA Guarda, Spain (M-5)**MA, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar HOTEL BRUSELAS
Day 6. A Guarda - Baiona, 29km Restaurant PURERO GUARDES in A GUARDA
6,5kmPorteceloBar
12km OIA PA- CALA INN**± Hotel*, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
15,5kmVilladesusoPA, hotel, restaurant, cafe
18,5kmPorto Mougás *PA
20kmPedra RubiaHotel, cafe

29km Baiona (M-7)* Hotel Pinzon
SABARIS – HOTEL AVENIDA**
PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar Parador de Baiona hotel
Day 7. Baiona - Vigo, 25km (alternative route along the coast)
4kmA Ramallosa (the split the right route goes inland, the left route follows the coast) *PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
7,5kmA Bouza VellaShop, restaurant, bar
11,5kmSaiánsPA, restaurant, bar
14kmOia HOTEL A RAINAShop, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
25km VIGO(M-8)**. HOTEL EXE** Hotel R. OgaliaHostel, hotel*, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 8. Vigo - Redondela, 16,3km
7kmChapelaATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
16,3km REDONDELA – PENSION RUA DE MEDIO**± Santiago de Villavela HostelMA, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 9. Redondela - Pontevedra, 20km
2,5kmCesantes * (Refuxio de la Jérezana a private albergue)PA, hotel, ATM, shop, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
5 kmSoutoxustePA, restaurant
7,5kmArcade (M-9)PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
8,5kmPontesanpaioPA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
20km PONTEVEDRA- BOOKING STUDIO (M-8)* *Slow City Hostel/MA, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 10. Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis, 23km***
10,5kmBarro/PortelaMA, restaurant
16kmBriallosMA
21kmTívoPA, supermarket
23km CALDAS DE REIS – BOOKING PENSION AUGAS QUENTES spa town* MA, PA, hotel O’Cruceiro, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 11. Caldas de Reis - Padrón, 20km Restaurant CHEF RIVERA in Padron
5,5 kmO Cruceiro (Carracedo)Cafe, restaurant
10kmValgaMA, hotel, restaurant, bar

12,5kmSan Miguel de ValgaShop, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
17kmPontecesuresMA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
20km PADRON – HOTEL CHEF RIVERA (laundromat next door)MA, PA Jardin, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 12. Padrón - Santiago de Compostela, 25km
1kmIria FlaviaHotel, bar
6kmA EsclavitudeHotel, restaurant, bar
6,5kmCruces *PA, hotel, restaurant, bar
7,5kmAngueira de SusoHotel, restaurant
8,3kmPicarañaPA, hotel, restaurant
10kmO FaramelloMA, PA, hotel, restaurant, bar
18kmMilladoiro (Albergue Milladoiro*)PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, restaurant, bar
25km SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA AIRBNB Residencia Fornos

***Variante Espiritual (Spiritual Way), optional route Pontevedra to Padrón, 73km

(FRIEND DID THIS AND THOROUGHLY ENJOYED IT!)

Day 10. Pontevedra - Armenteira, 22km
6kmCampañóHotel, restaurant
10kmPoioHotel, restaurant
12kmCombarroHotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
21,4kmArmenteiraMA, restaurant
Day 11. Armenteira - Vilanova de Arousa, 23km
6kmBarrantesShop, restaurant, bar
12kmPonte ArnelasPharmacy, restaurant, bar
25kmVilanova de ArousaMA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar

Day 12. Vilanova de Arousa - Padrón, 28km by boat
28kmPontecesuresMA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
31kmPadrón (walking)MA, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar

Stingy Nomads

thank you for your kind words, very special indeed! Below is our ROUTE IN BOLD (WHERE WE STAYED) with some notes on the route (taken from Stingy Nomads & modified) ± means special! Enjoy & hope this helps.

*MA - municipal albergue, **PA - private albergue (Mac)*live in the moment. CAPS=our stops/lodging
Day 1. PORTO- Labruge, 23km (BUS FROM CATHEDRAL TO MATOSINHOS)
6kmFoz do DouroHotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
12km MATOSINHOS - BEGINHotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
17kmPerafitaHotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
21kmLavraPA**, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
24kmLabruge (Novo Rumo-chocolate)*MA*, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 2. Labruge - Praia Estrela, 25km CASA da PRAIA
2,5km VILA CHA – CASA SANDRA**±MA, hotel, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurantPRAIA MAR**±, bar
3,5kmMindelo (lots of hotels)Hotel, supermarket, restaurant, bar
6,5kmPraia de ArvoreHotel, ATM, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
10kmVila do Conde (N&M)*Eiffel bridgeMA, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
14kmPóvoa de Varzim (M1)**Hotel Torre del Mar Agucadoura Guest houseMA*, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
16kmO Ver-O-MarHotel, shop, restaurant
21kmAguçadoura *ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
25kmPraia da Estela (Orbitur)Camping-cabins, hotel, shop, restaurant
Day 3. Praia Estrela - Castelo do Neiva, 24km
4km APULIA PA-SANTIAGO PRAIA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
8kmFãoPA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
10,5kmEsposende (M 2)**PA*Laranjeira, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
14,5kmMarinhas **MA, hotel, ATM, shop, pharmacy, restaurant, bar

16,8kmMarShop, restaurant, cafe
18kmBelinhoRestaurant, cafe
20kmAntasHotel, restaurant, cafe
24kmCastelo do NeivaMA, hotel, shop, restaurant, bar
Day 4. Castelo do Neiva - Carreço, 19km
4,5kmChaféHotel, ATM, shop, restaurant, cafe
7km ANHAPA-CASA de CAROLINA**±, hotel, supermarket, restaurant, cafe
9kmDarqueHotel, supermarket, restaurant, cafe
11kmViana do Castelo (M3)****PA*, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar RESIDENCIAL LARANJEIRA
16kmAreosaHotel, shop, restaurant, bar
19kmCarreçoPA, hotel, shop, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 5. Carreço, Portugal - A Guarda, Spain, 22km
3kmArmadaHotel, cafe
10km VILA PRAIA d ANCORAPA QUINTA da QUINHAS**±, everything-BEAUTIFUL TOWN!!
15 kmMoledoPA, hotel, shop, restaurant, cafe
18kmCaminha, Portugal (ferry)**MA, PA, hotel*, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Caminha - A Pasaxe by ferry, 700 m, 5min.
22kmA Guarda, Spain (M-5)**MA, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar HOTEL BRUSELAS
Day 6. A Guarda - Baiona, 29km Restaurant PURERO GUARDES in A GUARDA
6,5kmPorteceloBar
12km OIA PA- CALA INN**± Hotel*, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
15,5kmVilladesusoPA, hotel, restaurant, cafe
18,5kmPorto Mougás *PA
20kmPedra RubiaHotel, cafe

29km Baiona (M-7)* Hotel Pinzon
SABARIS – HOTEL AVENIDA**
PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar Parador de Baiona hotel
Day 7. Baiona - Vigo, 25km (alternative route along the coast)
4kmA Ramallosa (the split the right route goes inland, the left route follows the coast) *PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
7,5kmA Bouza VellaShop, restaurant, bar
11,5kmSaiánsPA, restaurant, bar
14kmOia HOTEL A RAINAShop, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
25km VIGO(M-8)**. HOTEL EXE** Hotel R. OgaliaHostel, hotel*, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 8. Vigo - Redondela, 16,3km
7kmChapelaATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
16,3km REDONDELA – PENSION RUA DE MEDIO**± Santiago de Villavela HostelMA, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 9. Redondela - Pontevedra, 20km
2,5kmCesantes * (Refuxio de la Jérezana a private albergue)PA, hotel, ATM, shop, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
5 kmSoutoxustePA, restaurant
7,5kmArcade (M-9)PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
8,5kmPontesanpaioPA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
20km PONTEVEDRA- BOOKING STUDIO (M-8)* *Slow City Hostel/MA, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 10. Pontevedra - Caldas de Reis, 23km***
10,5kmBarro/PortelaMA, restaurant
16kmBriallosMA
21kmTívoPA, supermarket
23km CALDAS DE REIS – BOOKING PENSION AUGAS QUENTES spa town* MA, PA, hotel O’Cruceiro, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 11. Caldas de Reis - Padrón, 20km Restaurant CHEF RIVERA in Padron
5,5 kmO Cruceiro (Carracedo)Cafe, restaurant
10kmValgaMA, hotel, restaurant, bar

12,5kmSan Miguel de ValgaShop, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
17kmPontecesuresMA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
20km PADRON – HOTEL CHEF RIVERA (laundromat next door)MA, PA Jardin, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
Day 12. Padrón - Santiago de Compostela, 25km
1kmIria FlaviaHotel, bar
6kmA EsclavitudeHotel, restaurant, bar
6,5kmCruces *PA, hotel, restaurant, bar
7,5kmAngueira de SusoHotel, restaurant
8,3kmPicarañaPA, hotel, restaurant
10kmO FaramelloMA, PA, hotel, restaurant, bar
18kmMilladoiro (Albergue Milladoiro*)PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, restaurant, bar
25km SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA AIRBNB Residencia Fornos

***Variante Espiritual (Spiritual Way), optional route Pontevedra to Padrón, 73km

(FRIEND DID THIS AND THOROUGHLY ENJOYED IT!)

Day 10. Pontevedra - Armenteira, 22km
6kmCampañóHotel, restaurant
10kmPoioHotel, restaurant
12kmCombarroHotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
21,4kmArmenteiraMA, restaurant
Day 11. Armenteira - Vilanova de Arousa, 23km
6kmBarrantesShop, restaurant, bar
12kmPonte ArnelasPharmacy, restaurant, bar
25kmVilanova de ArousaMA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar

Day 12. Vilanova de Arousa - Padrón, 28km by boat
28kmPontecesuresMA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar
31kmPadrón (walking)MA, PA, hotel, ATM, supermarket, pharmacy, restaurant, bar

Stingy Nomads
This is wonderful information. Thanks ever so much. I didn't see what the * and ** signifies? Thanks for posting this.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Those were the number of times the places were mentioned in ivar’s posts or elsewhere. So happy this was useful!

Curious- did you fly into Lisbon or a different city? Or perhaps you were in Europe prior to beginning your Camino? I from the USA and planning my first Camino to begin in Porto. I assume Lisbon is the best entry city but perhaps there are others preferred. Gracias.

San Francisco to Lisbon- tap airlines- great deal! You are in for a great time!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back