• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

After walking Frances n Del Norte Portuguese Next ?

Seamus68

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Apr 2017
Camino Del Norte April 2018
Camino Frances - St Jean to Burgos 2019
Last year was the start of my Camino,s . in April I walked from St Jean to Finistere.
This year I walked the Del Norte Irun to Santiago. I’m now thinking the Portuguese Da Costa.Porto to SDC. While the del Norte was great I missed the social side that the Frances offered, the del Norte
was too quite, is the Portuguese busier than the del Norte?

Are there other Caminos busy like Frances ? Maybe walk Croatia ? It has to be fairly flat.
Any advise would be great

Thx

Jim

Attachments

• FA6B795A-B89F-4043-8C4E-2EF3801114FE.jpeg
    FA6B795A-B89F-4043-8C4E-2EF3801114FE.jpeg
    606.5 KB · Views: 8
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Seamus!

CP is not as busy as CF, but you do see pilgrims every day, you can form a camino family and you will meet people over and over again along the trail.

It is a beautiful trail (I walked Central, but people say Coastal is gorgeous too), with amazing cities, fabulous food and lovely people. There is only one day with a big uphill (Alto da portela), all other days are quite flat or very little ondulation. I would easily recommend it! :)

Thx Anamya,
The Camino family aspect has always been great.
I’m thinking doing Porto to SDC . Thx for advise

Jim

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walk the Camino Portugues but the inland route. There were nowhere near as as many people as on the CF. Like someone else wrote I’m sure you will be able to meet lots of people. I am going to be walking on the Norte this September. One of the main reasons is I like the solitude and the quiet. There were nowhere near as as many people as on the CF. Like someone else said I’m sure you will be able to meet lots of people. I am going to be walking on the Norte this September. . That’s what is really cool about all the different Caminos, there’s something for everyone. I am sure the coastal route is a lot easier than the Norte will be.

Last edited:
I walk the Camino Portugues but the inland route. There were nowhere near as as many people as on the CF. Like someone else wrote I’m sure you will be able to meet lots of people. I am going to be walking on the Norte this September. One of the main reasons is I like the solitude in the quiet. That’s what makes all the Caminos go aroun there were nowhere near as as many people as on the CF. Like someone else road I’m sure you will be able to meet lots of people. I am going to be walking on the Norte this September. One of the main reasons is I like the solitude in the quiet. That’s what is really cool about all the different Caminos there’s something for everyone. I am sure the coastal route is a lot easier and the Norte will be.

Many thx I found the Frances more fulfilling than the del Norte....will look into Da Costa Portuguese more......

Last year was the start of my Camino,s . in April I walked from St Jean to Finistere.
This year I walked the Del Norte Irun to Santiago. I’m now thinking the Portuguese Da Costa.Porto to SDC. While the del Norte was great I missed the social side that the Frances offered, the del Norte

Are there other Caminos busy like Frances ? Maybe walk Croatia ? It has to be fairly flat.

Thx

Jim
A quick look at the statistics on arrivals from the cathedral in SdC will make it clear that there are no other caminos as busy as the Frances. The Portugues is as close as you can get in terms of popularity and it still lags well behind. It should be busier than the Norte if not as busy as the Frances. After the Portugues, your best bet in terms of finding crowds is to walk on the last 100 km of some of the other routes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thx

Jim
The Portuguese is a little lonely.

I walked in Portugal 3 times, the most sociable is definitely the central route from Porto. End of Apr-May was busy, great infrastructure there, pilgrim's menus everywhere. Met great people on the way. As far as I understand it it's not yet as busy as the French but getting there, it's crowded in summers. Could be fewer people on the coastal way. Bom Caminho! :)

I walked in Portugal 3 times, the most sociable is definitely the central route from Porto. End of Apr-May was busy, great infrastructure there, pilgrim's menus everywhere. Met great people on the way. As far as I understand it it's not yet as busy as the French but getting there, it's crowded in summers. Could be fewer people on the coastal way. Bom Caminho! :)

Brill many thx

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Possibly the Portuguese route is actually busier than what the statistics show. Being a much shorter camino than the Frances, those walking it will be in closer proximity to each other, so although fewer numbers, possibly there are more options for developing friendships than it appears.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back