• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

After walking the Camino...

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 19th Aug - 19th September 2015

Camino Del Norte + Camino Primitivo in the summer of 2016
Hello dear pilgrims and pilgrims to be,

My Camino lasted 31 days from the 19th august to 19th of September from StJpP to Santiago. It was absolutely wonderful. I cannot begin to describe all those wonderful moments I have had. Amazing people, thoughts and experiences. Of course there were also some bad experiences, but nothing that overpowered my positive experiences.

I want to share something with you, that you might (or might not) recognize. I went with my one true love, and it has been great throughout the whole Camino. We do not live together though, we are only in our early twenties. We both came home yesterday, he is with his family and I am with mine. But the feeling of coming home is totally different between us. He is happy to see his family, his bed and being home in general. I feel miserable. I had to leave and I walked like 8-10 km in the area I live in, to have some time and peace to actually let it sink in, that I am indeed home. Everything just feels so depressing, and I was warned about this feeling. "Everything at home will be the same, you are the only one who is changed.".
It just hit me so hard I had to express myself to someone who tried the same - coming home and immediately wishing yourself back on the Camino.

- Many thoughts from Scandinavia.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello - I completed the Camino in early July 2015 and immediately upon coming home I wished I was still on the Camino. Many of my friends reported the same thing. Some of the things I've been doing to help me deal with the withdrawal is: 1) walk long-distances each day, 2) read books about the Camino), 3) look at the pictures I took, 4) talk to others about my experience, 5) stay in touch with friends I made on the Camino. All of this help keep the experience alive for me. Also, I have decided to do the Camino again in May 2016. Thinking and planning for that helps keep my spirit up. Hang in there. What a great experience we were fortunate to have.

"Everything at home will be the same, you are the only one that has changed." That (and your post!!) really resonated with me!! Wow!! I walked the Portuguese for 30 days in June-July. Had a remarkable, beautiful, blissful......perfect existence and experience. Every step. Each day was utterly unique. So much love and kindness happened a hundred, or a thousand times a day. Kind of, really, every step of the way so I don't know hour many thousand steps of wonderful happened.

When I arrived back home, I have really had a tough adjustment. This is where the quote comes in--"Everything at home will be the same...." I suspected that this would happen and felt (still feel) a great, but beautiful, sadness leaving the camino. It's been two months now, since returning, and finally am feeling

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
"Everything at home will be the same, you are the only one that has changed." That (and your post!!) really resonated with me!! Wow!! I walked the Portuguese for 30 days in June-July. Had a remarkable, beautiful, blissful......perfect existence and experience. Every step. Each day was utterly unique. So much love and kindness happened a hundred, or a thousand times a day. Kind of, really, every step of the way so I don't know hour many thousand steps of wonderful happened.

When I arrived back home, I have really had a tough adjustment. This is where the quote comes in--"Everything at home will be the same...." I suspected that this would happen and felt (still feel) a great, but beautiful, sadness leaving the camino. It's been two months now, since returning, and finally am feeling
Whoops, pushed the send button before I was done....

like the camino has returned to my heart, rather than having left it.

I'll always be...walking to Santiago, wherever I am.

I'm very happy for your answers to my post! Thank you very much, it means a lot to me to share my feelings right now!

I have also decided to walk the Camino again, but I don't know when I will get the chance. Maybe it will be some years ahead, which annoys me. I want to go now!!! ;)

Thank you for sharing your ways of dealing with coming home. I am also doing long-distance walks and some runs too. I do what I can to keep myself busy, but right now I don't have a job (I quit my last job to walk the Camino) and I just feel like I need to find my new self in these cold, unchanging, grey areas where I live. Not only that, but also I need to get used to how I now view my family. I have had a lot of trouble with them, and the Camino opened my eyes alot. But what I did not expect was how much more they opened when I actually came home. It's like I can see our family situation from the outside, and I kind of feel like the black sheep now. Like I don't belong anymore. I guess I just have to get used to my new insight.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello dear pilgrims and pilgrims to be,

My Camino lasted 31 days from the 19th august to 19th of September from StJpP to Santiago. It was absolutely wonderful. I cannot begin to describe all those wonderful moments I have had. Amazing people, thoughts and experiences. Of course there were also some bad experiences, but nothing that overpowered my positive experiences.

I want to share something with you, that you might (or might not) recognize. I went with my one true love, and it has been great throughout the whole Camino. We do not live together though, we are only in our early twenties. We both came home yesterday, he is with his family and I am with mine. But the feeling of coming home is totally different between us. He is happy to see his family, his bed and being home in general. I feel miserable. I had to leave and I walked like 8-10 km in the area I live in, to have some time and peace to actually let it sink in, that I am indeed home. Everything just feels so depressing, and I was warned about this feeling. "Everything at home will be the same, you are the only one who is changed.".
It just hit me so hard I had to express myself to someone who tried the same - coming home and immediately wishing yourself back on the Camino.

- Many thoughts from Scandinavia.

Hello Scandinavian,

These are exactly my thoughts. I walked from Holland to SdC, a 2.700 km trip and for four months. I'm back in Holland now for four months again and still have the same feelings. I want to go back again!!!!! The experience of walking alone and with all the other Pelgrims has changed my vieuw on living so much that nobody in my surroundings understands me. I hope that i can live again like before but i think it's impossible. I''ve changed too much. So now you know you are not alone :)

Hello - I completed the Camino in early July 2015 and immediately upon coming home I wished I was still on the Camino. Many of my friends reported the same thing. Some of the things I've been doing to help me deal with the withdrawal is: 1) walk long-distances each day, 2) read books about the Camino), 3) look at the pictures I took, 4) talk to others about my experience, 5) stay in touch with friends I made on the Camino. All of this help keep the experience alive for me. Also, I have decided to do the Camino again in May 2016. Thinking and planning for that helps keep my spirit up. Hang in there. What a great experience we were fortunate to have.
Hi Juanita, it's an addiction. It all began with the Camino Frances from my wife in 2013. Last year we walked together from Sarria to Finistere. And this year I walked the Camino Frances from SJPdP. Next year we walk together from Porto to Santiago. In 2017 I will walk the Norte and the Primitivo and in 2018 / 2019 I walk from my home in Holland. And after that, who knows.
Wish you well, Peter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.