• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Age & Fitness

PEI-les

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Roncesvalles to Santiago, May/June (2006)
Camino VdlP, Seville to Caceres, May (2009)
To any perspective pilgrims out there that are hesitating about doing a
camino pilgrimage due to age or fitness let me ease your mind a little.
I was the kid that always had a sick note on sports day and that was 50 years ago. I started my camino 5 days after my 60th birthday.The one thing I had going for me was I loved walking,but never,before the camino,
with a backpack,and always returning to a 2-star hostal for the night.
The part of Canada I live in is basically flat,I think I am slightly closer to
Spain than I am to the Rockie mountains.So the little training I had was on
the old rail-bed,the trains and track disappeared 15 years ago,(progress!).
I started from Roncasvalles thinking probably a week or 10 days would
put me on the edge of exhaustion......but it was not to be.I had always
been a little sceptical of the theory of drawing energy from the Earth,(due
respect to Shirley),but now I'm a beliver,whether it had been an 18 km
day or a 38 km day,the next morning the batteries were fully charged
again!!
People could not belive my theory of double-timing up steep hills to
shorten the agony time of a long slog!!
And did I feel young the day I helped a slightly disorientated 82 year
old,Swedish peregrino to find the alburgue in Sarria.

I hope this tips the scales toward the positive if you're having doubts
about taking on a mission that could have a profound effect on your out-
look on life.....it did for me.Les.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
PEI-les said:
... I hope this tips the scales toward the positive if you're having doubts about taking on a mission that could have a profound effect on your out-look on life.....it did for me ...
Reading that it certainly did that for me now.

When I will walk the Camino francès (when, not if) in May 2008 I will be almost 64 years old, granddad several times over. Still in quite reasonable shape, though, but with the same funny memories about "sport" like you (= mainly in school, ordered to play soccer: hopping like a monkey after a ball which always seemed to hop deliberately in the other direction...). This achieved only one thing with me: I hate sports. But I love long walks. So to me the Camino is just that: a long walk. And obviously I'm not the only one with thoughts like that: "heck, can I manage it?" Yes. Damn sure...

Thank you.

Hi Howie,
I am 62,grandmother of five, survor of a braintumour op. but left with some physical disabilities which will affect my Camino - balance being the main one. But though I 'feel the fear, and do it anway'(as the motto on the T-shirt my surfing son-in-law gave me says), I'm off Monday. I'll let you know how I get on. I've proved to myself that I manage to do most of what I set my mind to do. The power of the human spirit is amazing.
Un saludo desde Irlanda,
Eleanor

A selection of Camino Jewellery
And PEI-les,
That 82 year old! GREAT - never say CAN'T.
You remind me of myself starting University at age 58. Thought I'd only last a week, then got to Christmas, then passed 1st-year exams and finally aged 60 I graduated with a double first class honours in Spanish and Irish Studies. Nobody was more amazed than myself!

But I couldn't have done it without the encouragement and help I got on the way. Same with El Camino. I will be relying on a helping hand from time to time and have faith in humanity, knowing that I will receive. 'Seek and ye shall find, knock and the door shall be opened" and all that...
Ultreya,
Eleanor
But how to keep the weight of the pack at 6 kilos?
Eleanor

PEI-les, Thank-you for sharing this. I have wondered if what Shirley said was true about the energy of the earth helping us along.

Beautiful! But then what else would we expect when we have people from all different parts of the world, working together for a common goal, all going in the same direction, that alone has to make a difference on the energy!

Only 24 more sleeps....
Lora

Eleanor - thank you. Absolutely amazing. I'm thinking about going back to university too and finally doing my BA or even MA (my main interest is in Tiffany glass art and I work as a free lance tutor for that area here in New Zealand). Never could build up the courage to do so, though. Now I have to think about it again, because your post proves it can be done. Maybe after the Camino. Maybe this - the Camino - is just sort of a catalysator for me. See, we, my dear wife and me, we are very happy with ourselves and our life, so I'm not in dire need of any changes to my life - had that 25 years ago: changed everything quite radically then, and to the better of it. Now it's just "leftover wishes" in the "to do list" for the "second half of my life" (I intend to become 120...). The Camino is not part of this "leftover wishes", it is more a - well, a "beckoning"? Buggered if I know...

feel the fear, and do it anway
Coming from a world known surfing town I know this saying. Good way to see things. I simplified it a bit into a message to my kids: "when you don't try, you will never know...".

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.