• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Age to Check In to Albergue?

Rambling Priest

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances July/Aug 2022
Friends,

My family of four has made it to Palas de Rei today and coming into town my wife slipped and sprained her ankle. She’s unable to finish.

We’re considering sending our 17 and 16 year old on with Camino friends to complete their journey and the two of us going to Santiago by taxi to wait for them, but wonder if they can check in to Albergues at this age or not. Is there an age limit (ie 18+) or not?

Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't know the legal situation but there are often groups of school students walking the camino. I don't know if they always have an older person with them, if the friends walking with your sons are older then I guess they could fill the role of "supervising adult". You are so close to Santiago it would only be two or at most three nights. There are about 3 buses a day running along the route (it takes an hour and 15 minutes from Palas de Rei to Santiago). If necessary you could bus out and back to check them in, depending on the bus schedules. I had a friend once who used to take the bus into Santiago to attend mass, and then take the bus back to where she was staying.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Friends,

My family of four has made it to Palas de Rei today and coming into town my wife slipped and sprained her ankle. She’s unable to finish.

We’re considering sending our 17 and 16 year old on with Camino friends to complete their journey and the two of us going to Santiago by taxi to wait for them, but wonder if they can check in to Albergues at this age or not. Is there an age limit (ie 18+) or not?

Thanks.
My boys did the entire Francés in 2009, aged 16 and 19, with no issues.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Friends,

Thanks.
Bummer. I rolled my ankle when walking the via Francigena and had to wear a brace for 9 days. We did not stop our trip but just took a taxi or train to the next destination. After 9 days, I was able to walk again. You might consider doing that instead of stopping.

My boys did the entire Francés in 2009, aged 16 and 19, with no issues.
Unlike the OP's situation, one of them would have been able to act in loco parentis should the need for that have arisen. I personally don't think it would be reasonable to expect hospitaleros or others to carry that responsibility by letting two minors walk alone. Where I have seen minors walking, they have been accompanied by adult siblings or there is an adult in the group.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This past July while walking the Norte I met a 17 year old young man from Portugalete who had walked from Irun. He joined a small group consisting of an Argentinian and 2 Slovenians. I joined them for the last 10 days. This young man was a delight to have around. Last year he walked his first pilgrimage from SJPdP to Santiago. When I asked him what his friends thought of his walks he replied, "they don't understand and would rather go to the beach or play football".

The last day he wanted to leave really early in order to arrive in Santiago before the Oficina de Peregrinos opened up and asked if I wanted to join him. Sure, I said, why not so we left at 4 a.m. walking almost 2 hours in the dark. Once in Santiago he treated me to breakfast as a thank-you for joining him. While in line at the Oficina he called his parents to tell them of his arrival. I told them that their son was a wonderful companion.

I think that it's wonderful that young adults walk the Camino. What an amazing experience!

And by the way, in the 6x I've volunteered in albergues along the Frances we never encountered "rules" regarding an age requirement.

Friends,

Thanks.
I’m so sad to hear of your wife‘s accident. The night before our last day into Santiago last autumn I slipped and broke two ribs and like your wife had to take a taxi to Santiago via the general hospital there. It’s heartbreaking when it happens. I wish you all well. That’s the Camino.

Friends,

Thanks.
My only experience with this question is, seeing a father and his 9 year-old daughter staying in my hostle in Portomarin. This was in 2019.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back