• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Agencies for the Camino

Muna

Time of past OR future Camino
Septembre 2022
Hello Everyone
My first time on the Forum. I am about to embark on my first Camino (only the last 100km). I am looking for advice on which agency to book my accommodations with. I understand most people go with the alberges but for personal reasons I rather not.
Any recommendations?
You advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Muna,
Welcome to the Forum!
Where do you plan to start walking?
Using an on line Guide such as
Gronze Camino Frances
you can see all accommodation by location and then book directly either by email or phone.There is no need to use an agency.

Good luck with your planning and Buen camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I find it interesting, seen this many times, people ask for Agencies and 1/2 the responses are people trying to talk them out of it? Anyway to answer your question - as mentioned Camino Ways, also Follow the Camino and MAC Adventures are reputable Camino companies. Buen Chemin

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm not an agency. I usually take groups of 7 pilgrims in the Spring and Autumn. However, THIS Autumn, I'm not walking with them, but simply booking their accomodation and backpack transport. I'm happy to help you with this free of charge if you'd like to PM me.

I find it interesting, seen this many times, people ask for Agencies and 1/2 the responses are people trying to talk them out of it? Anyway to answer your question - as mentioned Camino Ways, also Follow the Camino and MAC Adventures are reputable Camino companies. Buen Chemin
I think this is because so many who are new to the Camino don't realize how easy it is to organize on your own. Before I did my first Camino I had no clue, and the first sites that I found were Camino tour sites. I knew that I didn't want to spend that much money, and eventually found this forum and the support that I needed to do it on my own.

But you are right, for those who truly want to leave the planning to someone else it is more helpful to provide recommendations.

I learned something when I walked from Dublin to St Mullins in Ireland in 2018. There is no camino infrastructure, so it behoved me to find and book accommodation. I booked directly except somehow I used a booking agency in one place. The owner told me that both he and I paid a premium to the booking agency. I had not realised that. That would be my reason for advising someone of the fact that it is costly to user and owner to use an agency. The choice of course is up to the one who chooses to book.
(Incidentally, in a book I am currently reading, it speaks of a church dedicated to St James, which I recall, in St Mullins in Co Carlow. I had forgotten that. So although I was not on camino in Spain, my flat compensatory camino in Ireland after San Salvador the year before, was perhaps also a camino connected with St James!
Of course, in all of Europe, there have to be signs and symbols of the pilgrimage to Santiago from times of old...)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Everyone
My first time on the Forum. I am about to embark on my first Camino (only the last 100km). I am looking for advice on which agency to book my accommodations with. I understand most people go with the alberges but for personal reasons I rather not.
Any recommendations?
Thanks.
No need for agency really. Use booking.com and then you will be able to save $ paid to the agency.

I understand most people go with the alberges but for personal reasons I rather not.
Just to clarify, the question of whether to use seek private rooms rather than group dormitories, is different from the question of whether to make your own booking or hire an agency to do it. Some albergues have private rooms and many albergues take reservations.

I tend to use private rooms more than group sleeping, but I would never hire an agency to plan my trip and do all those reservations for me. I prefer to keep it under my own control, so I can make changes on my own.

A tag "travel agencies/groups" has been added to the top of this thread, under the thread title. If you click on that tag, you will find many discussions of this topic.

I find it interesting, seen this many times, people ask for Agencies and 1/2 the responses are people trying to talk them out of it?
I am not trying to talk anyone out of using agencies or going on tour groups. Rather, I see that there is likely a misunderstanding of the options available to the person, and I try to provide some information to help them.

Hello Everyone
Any recommendations?
Thanks.
I have walked 6 Caminos including the French Way, the Norte, and the last 100km from Sarria. Like you, for personal and health reasons I have always booked private rooms in small hotels etc through a Spanish Agent , Juan Gutierrz at juanv@caminosyrutas.com Phone 0034620136409

He is excellent and very attentive to your needs before and during your pilgrimage walk, all accommodations and breakfast booked on a daily basis, plus moving on your pack to your new accomodation each day, you will only need to carry a day pack of your necessities for that day. I found him through our local parish in the UK who use him for our parish walking group. I always walk on my own, and Juan always checks to see how I am doing. If you have a medical or physical problem, he can make arrangements to move you on to your next accomodation.

I have been on this site for many years now and I always have refrained from commenting, but I think this will be helpful for you. You know your physical and health circumstances so you should do what you want to do, it is your Camino walk, ignore those telling you otherwise. This last 100km is always very busy and in my view booked accomodation along the way will make it easier for you and reducing worry about where you are going to stop. I have just returned home after completing the Camino del Norte from Irun to Santiago and on to Finisterre, I celebrated my 77 birthday on my rest day in Santiago, and I received a small birthday present from Juan, who I would now call a friend at this time. You do what is right for you, stay safe and Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think it is so easy to plan your Camino and to book accomodations than travel agencies do not deserve the money they require for such a service...

I used to be a purist with all the intentions to carry my pack and book lodging on the fly, but my pre-camino training has taught me humility and respect for my body. Walking 10-15km after work at home is not the same as walking 15-20km with a 13lb pack in uneven paths day after day. I just finished a pretend camino this last bank holiday (three days) and I am seriously considering an agency to transfer my pack and book my lodging; the pretend camino ran me ragged physically and mentally. I am making notes of all your recommendations, so thank you 🙏🏻

This Forum and FB Camino groups really do add incredible insights and advice, been so helpful to me over the years, and I know people just want to help.
In this case Muna wrote clearly "I understand most people go with the alberges but for personal reasons I rather not" - so w.r.t. advice I might lead with Agencies you know as per her question, and close with how simple booking it can be if interested...
I'm sensitive to this, maybe overly, but have met people on the trail who were questioning (sometimes (interrogating ) others who used a company without the slightest knowledge of that person's situation, health or other circumstances.
It felt like judgement, the opposite of the Camino spirit!
Love this Forum

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Everyone
Any recommendations?
Thanks.
I see that your concern is about finding alternatives to staying in albergues. There is a range of accommodations available, albergues are one option but there are also Casa Rural, Hostels , private rooms in albergues, and even hotels in some places. On my last walk, because there were 3 of us, we also used apartments, which are good as you get all the facilities, cooking laundry etc. Not all villages/towns will have every option, but most will have a range.
Albergues are not the only option, although they are the cheapest.
You wont need an agency to book accommodation. The benefit of booking for yourself is that you are not locked into a schedule and can adjust the length of your walking days as it suits for your body, and the weather.
The easiest option is Booking.com. They have a good cancellation policy as well. You can also check out the other sites, and cross reference.

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Apologies for such a basic question, but can someone confirm the best way to get to Madrid airport from SDC by train. More specifically, can I book the entire route via Trainline? At first glance...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back