• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aiming at a Michelin Star at San Anton Albergue.

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
I am taking up the challenge of cooking for 12 pilgrims seriously seeing that I have been pampered and spoilt with excellent food on my many Caminos. Sooooooo , I am trying out various dishes , starters and snacks.
One of the big challenges is that there will be no oven. These are peppers stuffed with savoury fried rice ( onions , mushrooms , tomatoes and green pepper). I put them in a pot with an inch or two of water and a dash of olive oil , steaming them for about 20 minutes - perfect! Slightly 'Al Dente' so they kept their shape and very juicy. The sprig of parsley should have been added afterwards ..........oh , and it did need a bit of salt , but rather add that to your taste - once its there you can't take it away?
So , any other ideas ---- remember , no oven. ........I think I'll try a Cothido next?
Ps. My Hospitalero stint is in June.

EBAY SUNDAY YAAYYYYYY! 001BB.jpg

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am so looking forward to having another night in San Anton! Looks delicious @RENSHAW

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sopa de ajo: every talks about it but I have yet to see it served except in Guemes on the Norte and in San Juan de Ortega, where it really was poorly done when I was there. Super inexpensive, includes protein from the eggs and your stale left over bread. What about a barley soup, with or without ham (it can be added as a garnish). Borscht would be nice, if you want to send out a pilgrim for a last minute run to town to grab some creme fraiche or yougurt. Can be made vegetarian or not.

Many different Indian salads will work. And as many Indian dishes use the same spices, herbs and chillies, you can reuse these day after day in a number of recipes - wouldn't want you to eat the same meal day after day for 2 weeks). Potato and pickled onion, Mila Jula salad, Tamatar au Masala Paneer saldad ( an Indian version of the Caprese). Also all sorts of fried Indian dumplings or beignets/ fritters.

Also curries, and the delicious amd hearty mullagawtoni soup. Lots of Indian recipies made with green peas, easily found in the frozen section at the grocery store (look up Poha). Roasted eggplant curry can be delicious (baingan bharta) or a hot potato curry (Aloo ka jhol).

A fatouche salad is always yummy, and many like taboule. I like anything quinoa amd that has protein.

What about bruschetta or croque monsieur, grilled cheese sandwiches with good bread and a quality cheese, or an egg sald, capers and anchovies tartine?

Or for a Mexican taste, frijoles! With some huevos rancheros., or huevos en salsa with rice. Yum!

Lots a sardine recipes, but may not be to everyone's liking. For example, ther's a delicious sardine stuffing, made to go with chile ancho but can go on its own: potatos, sardines, tomatoes, onion and avocado.

Most dishes will taste a lot better with fresh herbs. Wouldn't it nice if an hospitalero and pilgrims early in the season planted an herb, and chili, garden? Mint, basil, coriander, jalapenos, ciboulette ...

As for the spices for the Indian recipes, if you are coming though Madrid: http://www.maravillasdeindia.com/tiendas-de-comida-india-en-espana-2/ or http://www.umami-madrid.com/donde-comprar-ingredientes-exoticos-en-madrid/. Or see what dried ingredients may be brought in legally with biohazard risks for Spain.

Ok, now I'm hungry. Off to order a great vegetarian tali. Chickpeas or lentils? Yum!

I expect all of you people to shine your culinary lights on San Anton this summer... be sure to let me know when you're arriving! I will bring the garam masala!

(I plant a little garden in the spring, but only coriander, mint, basil, and parsley survived the summer heat and very shallow ground last year. I hope for better luck this year.)

Oh, and for breakfast, avena, I'm sure Canadian hospitaleros would bring maple syrup from home!, and hard boiled eggs.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am taking up the challenge of cooking for 12 pilgrims seriously seeing that I have been pampered and spoilt with excellent food on my many Caminos. Sooooooo , I am trying out various dishes , starters and snacks.
One of the big challenges is that there will be no oven. These are peppers stuffed with savoury fried rice ( onions , mushrooms , tomatoes and green pepper). I put them in a pot with an inch or two of water and a dash of olive oil , steaming them for about 20 minutes - perfect! Slightly 'Al Dente' so they kept their shape and very juicy. The sprig of parsley should have been added afterwards ..........oh , and it did need a bit of salt , but rather add that to your taste - once its there you can't take it away?
So , any other ideas ---- remember , no oven. ........I think I'll try a Cothido next?

View attachment 24834
Hola, Renshaw :)

It looks something like "sarma" we do over here, but we do it with minced meat, onions, rice and spices . It's Turkish culinary heritage.
When exactly is your stint in June? Beginning? Maybe if all goes well I'll pass San Anton on June 5th or a day/two later. Would be nice to meet you.

View attachment 24834
If that's a porcelain covered iron pot in the background you have a oven. You can use it like a dutch oven (cast iron cook wear) on the stove burner or like a slow cooker. Toss in your ingredients put the lid on and cook on the range at medium to low temps. You can make Hobo bread, dump cakes, cobblers, roasts, soups, stews etc.

Isn't June is a hot month, letem eat salads. Buen Camino

Potato soup. Potatoes, onion, cooked and diced bacon, chicken broth if you can get it otherwise water, heavy cream or milk, salt, pepper, garlic, crushed red peppers. Slice potatoes and cover with water or broth. Cover and bring to boil for 15 minutes. Dice and cook bacon, drain and set aside. Fine dice onion and cook in same pan used for bacon. Cook until limp. Add bacon, onion, salt, pepper, garlic and crushed red peppers and simmer for 5 more minutes. Add cream or milk. Serve with fresh kale leaves. Add sweet or hot Italian sausage and you have Zoppa Tuscany. You can feed a crowd in less than 30 minuets or serve as a starter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If that's a porcelain covered iron pot in the background you have a oven. You can use it like a dutch oven (cast iron cook wear) on the stove burner or like a slow cooker. Toss in your ingredients put the lid on and cook on the range at medium to low temps. You can make Hobo bread, dump cakes, cobblers, roasts, soups, stews etc.

Isn't June is a hot month, letem eat salads. Buen Camino

The porcelin cast iron pot is here at Mama's in South Africa and I have given breads and other food the odd try - corn bread? Great idea Trekker - The Albergue may not have one but the owners have a hotel and perhaps deep in a dark corner of their storeroom ..........??

Potato soup. Potatoes, onion, cooked and diced bacon, chicken broth if you can get it otherwise water, heavy cream or milk, salt, pepper, garlic, crushed red peppers. Slice potatoes and cover with water or broth. Cover and bring to boil for 15 minutes. Dice and cook bacon, drain and set aside. Fine dice onion and cook in same pan used for bacon. Cook until limp. Add bacon, onion, salt, pepper, garlic and crushed red peppers and simmer for 5 more minutes. Add cream or milk. Serve with fresh kale leaves. Add sweet or hot Italian sausage and you have Zoppa Tuscany. You can feed a crowd in less than 30 minuets or serve as a starter.
Right! Zoppa Trekker is on the menu for SHURE! Jeppers I'm getting so HUNGRY!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola, Renshaw :)

It looks something like "sarma" we do over here, but we do it with minced meat, onions, rice and spices . It's Turkish culinary heritage.
When exactly is your stint in June? Beginning? Maybe if all goes well I'll pass San Anton on June 5th or a day/two later. Would be nice to meet you.
Ahh KINKY!.......... I know your love for food ... can you give us a link to your 'Favourite Camino Restaurants' List?
I may miss you .. 10th to 25th June........... next time?

Ahh KINKY!.......... I know your love for food ... can you give us a link to your 'Favourite Camino Restaurants' List?
I may miss you .. 10th to 25th June........... next time?
Oh, too bad. But maybe I'll be a bit late, who knows ;)
The list hasn't been updated for more than a year because as I remember somebody else started to collect that info (along with places that serve good wine if I remember correctly). It's in attachment.

Buen provecho!

Attachments

• CF Cuisine (update 27.12.2014).pdf
    257.8 KB · Views: 16
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The porcelin cast iron pot is here at Mama's in South Africa and I have given breads and other food the odd try - corn bread? Great idea Trekker - The Albergue may not have one but the owners have a hotel and perhaps deep in a dark corner of their storeroom ..........??
For breads you may want so set cast iron pot in a Metal trivet to keep the bread from scorching on the bottom. Baked apples are a lot of work but if you cut them up, add the other ingredients, butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, a little water, and cook in a covered iron kettle until apples are tender, presto, baked apples. I like to toss in some raspberries or boysenberries or black berries, dried cherries, dried cranberries, or raisins. Yum.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back