A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Aioli in South Africa

2020 Camino Guides

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Does anyone know where I can buy AIOLI in Johannesburg?

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
You can make it yourself
I know :D, but I just wondered it anyone makes it here.

A company in the Cape used to make it, and I could buy jars of it at "Milly's" - a service station with a good deli shop between my home and Jo'burg - but they have stopped making it, so I am looking for another supplier.

Moorwalker

Camino(s) past & future
The Saint's Way, Cornwall
Make your own, commercial stuff isn't a patch on the freshly made real thing.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
I have similar problem. I adore Vegemite (Marmite also OK) but the company that used to import it has stopped importing it due to low selling numbers. Not enough expats over here.
And I don't want to try doing it by myself :D :D :D

Mike Blackard

Camino(s) past & future
CF -Sept.-Oct 2018 , CF Aug- Oct 2019
(CF or VdlP summer/fall 2020)
Hey KinkyOne, got back in May from 2 weeks down under with Aussie friends. They rented a 6 person van and drove us (2 Seattle area couples) all over South East Australia, staying in VRBO homes all along the way. Graeme converted me to a regular "black and tan" for breakfast daily. Proper preparation is take a piece of toast and butter it to the edges, next, spread peanut butter over half of the toast, finally, spread a very thin layer of Vegemite over the other half, enjoy, repeat if necessary. Graeme convinced me that this was a well established Australian custom. A few days before we left, we met up with his daughter- who promptly told me with a huge smile, that "black and tans" were a creation of only her father, and no one else in Australia did that. In our travels, we even drove by the Vegemite factory!

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Hey KinkyOne, got back in May from 2 weeks down under with Aussie friends. They rented a 6 person van and drove us (2 Seattle area couples) all over South East Australia, staying in VRBO homes all along the way. Graeme converted me to a regular "black and tan" for breakfast daily. Proper preparation is take a piece of toast and butter it to the edges, next, spread peanut butter over half of the toast, finally, spread a very thin layer of Vegemite over the other half, enjoy, repeat if necessary. Graeme convinced me that this was a well established Australian custom. A few days before we left, we met up with his daughter- who promptly told me with a huge smile, that "black and tans" were a creation of only her father, and no one else in Australia did that. In our travels, we even drove by the Vegemite factory!
Obviously a different Black & Tan than the one that I was thinking of. 😂black-and-tan-cocktail-recipe-759593-7-5b3fac0cc9e77c0037379852.jpg

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
Ha, very amusing guys. I love both your black and tans – vegemite, stout, peanut butter and lager - (but not all at once 😱) – but – back to the OP :D – are there any South Africans out there 🙏 who know where I can buy aioli (besides marmite 😃, carling black label, peanut butter and castle 😂)?

Camino(s) past & future
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
Graeme converted me to a regular "black and tan" for breakfast daily. Proper preparation is take a piece of toast and butter it to the edges, next, spread peanut butter over half of the toast, finally, spread a very thin layer of Vegemite over the other half, enjoy, repeat if necessary.
And if that doesn't work for you try a backup Australian breakfast, canned spaghetti on toast.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Huh, I don't have that much patience when it comes to Vegemite. I lick if off the tea spoon like ice cream :D

I even prepare some dishes with it. But otherwise I like it simple since I don't fancy white bread or toast.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 188 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 310 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 89 7.1%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.2%
  • September

Votes: 355 28.5%
  • October

Votes: 150 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.4%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock