• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Air and train strike

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just do an internet search under something like "French rail strike 2018"....

But those dates in your link are correct. They were provided by the Unions, you won't find anything more 'current'....
On 7th May they're having talks with the Prime Minister, (after refusing to talk to the Transport Minister), IF that goes pear shaped then the strikes may carry on for longer :-(

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't think he is meeting the unions, is he?
I read yesterday that the unions were demanded a meeting directly with Macron and refusing to meet with his Minister of Finance or Minister of Labor. I looked for the article before I posted my comment and could not find it. Labour Day is next Tuesday, I would not want to be in Paris or any other large town that day. I am even having problems with the workers at BNP Paribas with extremely slow paper work.

Bus ticket from Paris to SJPP, $30, as "insurance"?.
I have a 10:50am flight on EasyJet May 12, Paris to Biarritz and then a shuttle to SJPP. I have non refundable accommodations in SJPP and Orisson that would probably be effected if my plane did not leave when planned, due to a strike delay. It seems like it's mostly trains, and then planes and just a few bus strikes. Do you guys think getting a bus ticket ahead of time as back up is a good idea? Are all or most of the plane/airport strikes announced ahead of time or are any of them somewhat spontaneous or planned but not announced? My other concern relates to having my backpack (checked into cargo due to size) unavailable for me to recover quickly to leave the airport and catch my bus if the flight gets cancelled after I check my bag. If the strikes are planned ahead then it's probably not an issue but what is the protocol if a strike is announced (for the Airport or for the Airline)? Do I still need to show up for my flight at the scheduled time anyway or risk losing reimbursement for my ticket? If I get a bus ticket as back up, I will buy an overnight trip so I can sleep, then arrive in Bayonne at 5:30am and then figure out how to get to SJPP where I will hike up to Orisson that day. Any advice, experience, insight is welcome.

Last edited:
I read yesterday that the unions were demanded a meeting directly with Macron and refusing to meet with his Minister of Finance or Minister of Labor. I looked for the article before I posted my comment and could not find it. Labour Day is next Tuesday, I would not want to be in Paris or any other large town that day. I am even having problems with the workers at BNP Paribas with extremely slow paper work.
They were asking to talk to the Prime Minister (Edouard Philippe) and he finally agreed, they're meeting on 7th May.
I'm avoiding France altogether at the moment :-( Even flying to Geneva instead of taking the train in France in July to walk the Via Francigena.... They may well drag this to the Summer months....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My only advice is show up for your flight unless you get notice otherwise. The rest is a matter of keeping an eye on the latest news about the strikes; and, yes, the unions have been know to walkout randomly without notice. This is France and you get used to it after a while. C'est la vive.

Last edited:
I would not want to be in Paris or any other large town that day.

Regardless of all other matters, the 1er Mai is basically one day of absolute, General Strike every year.

Be sure to be walking, not travelling, on that date !!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
To jouffroy47, are there also published strike schedules for buses and airports/airline companies? My first trip to France is in May so I don't know anything about strikes but I am impressed already that the Unions announce months in advance which days they plan to strike.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back