• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Air Flight Santiago to Madrid

Raz

Time of past OR future Camino
Gathering info for a future trip
I am contemplating booking a budget flight back to Madrid after walking Camino Francis.
I see information about taking trains and buses, but nothing about flights, which seem to be very affordable and efficient time-wise.
However, after reading some reviews of one of the budget airlines, I have some reservations about booking re cancellations, customer service etc.
Has anyone had experience with flying out of Santiago to Madrid on one of these budget airlines?
(not sure if I should say the name but currently their pilots are on strike in some parts of Europe).
Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Raz,
Welcome to the forum.

Not sure where you are coming from, but I always buy multi-city tickets. I leave from a small midwst airport in the US, fly through Chicago to Madrid and then on to an airport at or near my starting point (Almeria, Bilbao, San Sebastián have been recent ones). Then for my return flight I fly from Santiago to Madrid and onto my international flight home. If you want to visit Madrid, this won´t work or course, but I find that this approach saves a lot of travel time and my ticket is usually not much more than a round trip in and out of Madrid would be. And it means I don´t have to worry about missing connections. If you have separate tickets and your flight into Madrid is late, and you miss your flight home, the airline will make you buy another ticket. And those last minute tickets can be very pricey!

Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I flew from Santiago airport to Madrid in late May on Ryanair. There was no trouble at all and the cost was comparable to train fare ( the cost varies depending on your day of travel).
It leaves early in the morning, but I found it perfect for getting to the Madrid airport in time for my flight out. It takes about an hour and you can book in their app. I knew I’d be tired so I paid for an assigned seat, and checked my pack. Don’t try to bring your walking sticks into the cabin, I saw one peregrina arguing to no avail with a stony-faced airport worker trying to carry her sticks into the cabin. I think they ended up collecting them all and storing them in the hold.

Good luck with your travels. I hope this helps.

Paul

Hi, Raz,
Welcome to the forum.

Not sure where you are coming from, but I always buy multi-city tickets. I leave from a small midwst airport in the US, fly through Chicago to Madrid and then on to an airport at or near my starting point (Almeria, Bilbao, San Sebastián have been recent ones). Then for my return flight I fly from Santiago to Madrid and onto my international flight home. If you want to visit Madrid, this won´t work or course, but I find that this approach saves a lot of travel time and my ticket is usually not much more than a round trip in and out of Madrid would be. And it means I don´t have to worry about missing connections. If you have separate tickets and your flight into Madrid is late, and you miss your flight home, the airline will make you buy another ticket. And those last minute tickets can be very pricey!

Buen camino, Laurie

We do something similar. I actually dislike the long flight home from Santiago to Northeast USA. Unfortunately from Santiago nothing flys direct. Doing it in one day is a very long day. We often use Aerlingus. We fly from the northeast...make a quick change in Dublin and are in Madrid before 10 am. On the return flight, we go directly from Santiago, to Dublin. There we spend the night in Dublin and then fly home in less than 6 hours.

I have used Ryan airlines...but if I had to make a connection on a separate ticket, I would make sure I arrived n Madrid a Day early to be sure I could make my connection. buying a one way ticket home can be quite expensive.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I booked a flight back to Amsterdam from Santiago, with a stopover in Madrid. It was more expensive than taking a train or a bus to Madrid, but this was just so easy and to me it was worth it. After being away for so long (over two months for me) I just wanted the fastest way back home. I flew with Iberia and it went perfectly, waiting time at Madrid airport was only 50 minutes and not a long walk from one gate to the other. The reason it was a lot more expensive is probably because I booked it about four days before I went on that plane. Try skyscanner.com, worked for me :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have taken Ryan air back to Madrid airport all three times I ended pilgrimages in Santiago and had no problems (other than the early morning departure). Very reasonable price and all went well. I've taken the bus twice out of Santiago to the Lavacolla airport and a taxi once and both options worked well for me in 2015, 2016, and 2017.

Last edited:
I've taken Ryanir without issue from Santiago to Madrid. Carried my bag onboard, then checked it as baggage for the long trek from Madrid to Boston. This year, the flight that made sense to Madrid was on Iberia. I've flown Iberia from Boston and back , but keeping fingers crossed that their short flight to Madrid is timely and uneventful. Oddly, my main flights are on Swiss. People do take the bus or the train, but I found that amount of sitting before getting on long flights to sit some more was almost intolerable ( trained in 2014 ) I believe the bus, train, or flight are pretty close in cost. I paid more to taxi to the airport in Santiago ( at 5:00am ) .

Last year I flew Santiago to Barcelona with Vueling. Easy, no delay, no problem at all and very, VERY cheap (40 euros + 10 to dispatch luggage).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I flew SDC - MAD mid-morning on Iberia (I didn't want want to fly very early or very late on Ryanair). It was cheap and good. I spent the night in Madrid for a morning flight back to the US, so I didn't have to worry about other connections.

This worked well for me.

Thanks all for your responses! Rynair has a late evening flight to Madrid in early November on a Friday - we think we would prefer the evening flight(even though it's late) over the very early morning flight - as we can check into a pre-booked hotel on arrival and sleep in if we wish, before touring around for the day.
Our flight home to Toronto is the following morning. I was just worried about all the negative reviews online as the airline seems to have a reputation for a lot of delayed or cancelled flights.

Re the luggage, it appears you have to pay to take your backpack as a carryon, but you can check your carryon for free. The point about the walking poles is a good one, so it would make sense to check the backpack with the poles (we were thinking of keeping the pack with us so we could make a quick exit from the airport!).

Does anyone know if there is a "wrapping station" at the Santiago airport for the pack & poles? I don't think my poles will fit in my backpack.

Thanks again!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I flew Santiago to Madrid on Iberia and had no problems, the main challenge is getting the information about who flies, when they fly and how much. For some reason the major search engines re travel do not seem to handle Santiago very well. Keep trying, loads of flights to Madrid, just dig.

Buon Caminho

I flew Santiago to Madrid on Iberia and had no problems, the main challenge is getting the information about who flies, when they fly and how much. For some reason the major search engines re travel do not seem to handle Santiago very well. Keep trying, loads of flights to Madrid, just dig.

Buon Caminho
www.skyscanner.net works great for me every time .

Thanks all for your responses! Rynair has a late evening flight to Madrid in early November on a Friday - we think we would prefer the evening flight(even though it's late) over the very early morning flight - as we can check into a pre-booked hotel on arrival and sleep in if we wish, before touring around for the day.
Our flight home to Toronto is the following morning. I was just worried about all the negative reviews online as the airline seems to have a reputation for a lot of delayed or cancelled flights.

Re the luggage, it appears you have to pay to take your backpack as a carryon, but you can check your carryon for free. The point about the walking poles is a good one, so it would make sense to check the backpack with the poles (we were thinking of keeping the pack with us so we could make a quick exit from the airport!).

Does anyone know if there is a "wrapping station" at the Santiago airport for the pack & poles? I don't think my poles will fit in my backpack.

Thanks again!
Yes. There is one right on the floor in front of all the checkin counters!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am contemplating booking a budget flight back to Madrid after walking Camino Francis.
I see information about taking trains and buses, but nothing about flights, which seem to be very affordable and efficient time-wise.
However, after reading some reviews of one of the budget airlines, I have some reservations about booking re cancellations, customer service etc.
Has anyone had experience with flying out of Santiago to Madrid on one of these budget airlines?
(not sure if I should say the name but currently their pilots are on strike in some parts of Europe).
Thanks!
We flew Iberia Express both ways (Madrid/Santiago) and couldn't have been happier. They were low cost without the nickel and dimeing Ryanair does.

Also flew Ryan Air from SDC to MAD. Remember, it is advised that you arrive in Madrid two day prior to you flight. Just in case that flight gets cancelled, etc

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back