• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Airbnb on Camino Portugues

cccsss14

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello everyone,

What are the general thoughts/rules about getting an Airbnb on the Camino (really any route but we are doing the Camino Portugues)? Is this 'cheating' or frowned upon at all? I understand that we would probably not receive our stamps at the airbnb's but I have read on the forum here that it is pretty easy to get stamps along the way. Would we not be eligible for our credencial if we did not have stamps from the places where we stay? Would we have to get a stamp in the town/village we stay at both in the evening and the next morning?

Don't get me wrong, we would love to stay at albergues the entire time to meet new people and support locals, however, having a private room would limit contact and that is something that is definitely on our minds during covid times. There also seems to be some that would be about the same cost as some albergues and cheaper than hotels. I think ideally we would do a combination of both, but just want to make sure we are not doing something wrong by staying in an airbnb.

Thanks all and stay safe!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is nothing "wrong" in staying at AirBnbs or any other bnb. What is necessary in order to receive a Compostela is to walk and have stamped twice each day your Credential following an established route for at least the last 100 kms to Santiago.

By the way most bnbs wherever they may be do have a stamp.

Bom caminho!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, @cccsss14 ! Pilgrims stay in every type of accommodation imaginable, from bare-bones with no electricity to 5-star luxury -- and everything in between. This year, especially, many more seem to be choosing private rooms. So just pick what you're most comfortable with and enjoy, no worries about right or wrong.

My only caution would be to check if the Airbnb (or whatever) is on, or close to, the Camino itself. Booking sites may list a place as in a particular town, but for walkers, that can cover a lot of territory! Some private places will pick you up and return you, but otherwise you could end up walking considerably extra to get there and back, or taking taxis. Bon caminho.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I tried to respond to your thread yesterday. It's Okay to stay anywhere and almost everyone along the Camino has some sort of stamp, even El Ramon. As Bala cautioned, there are places that advertise they are on the Camino but cater to tourists in cars, so you might find your accomodation well off the path. I think most AirBnB's would like to see people stay more than one night?

Hello everyone,

What are the general thoughts/rules about getting an Airbnb on the Camino (really any route but we are doing the Camino Portugues)? Is this 'cheating' or frowned upon at all? I understand that we would probably not receive our stamps at the airbnb's but I have read on the forum here that it is pretty easy to get stamps along the way. Would we not be eligible for our credencial if we did not have stamps from the places where we stay? Would we have to get a stamp in the town/village we stay at both in the evening and the next morning?

Don't get me wrong, we would love to stay at albergues the entire time to meet new people and support locals, however, having a private room would limit contact and that is something that is definitely on our minds during covid times. There also seems to be some that would be about the same cost as some albergues and cheaper than hotels. I think ideally we would do a combination of both, but just want to make sure we are not doing something wrong by staying in an airbnb.

Welcome to the Forum!

IMHO you cannot be called a "cheater" by anyone! AirBnB is just one more way of having a bed for the night.

The only one with the right to call you a "cheater" is you; no other "know-it-all".

Buen Camino, and sleep well on your pilgrimage!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone,

I’ve booked albergues/small hotels from Lisbon to Porto so far (start Oct 9th in Lisbon taking it easy) and when I don’t have a private room, I have requested a lower bunk bed in small dorms (2-4 beds in room) all have replied, “no problem you’ll be alone in the room”……a plus to covid room size restrictions . My albergue w breakfast in Porto (Be Porto hostel) is €11 / night.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back