• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aircraft hand-luggage restrictions to apply to all EU

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just to point out that there are slight differences between the amount of liquid allowed in each bottle between the EU (100ml) and the US (3 fl oz, c 90ml). Shouldn't really be a problem for North American pilgrims since the US limit is lower than the EU

From the EU FAQ

22. Which rules apply to flights to the United States?

For the last six weeks, strict rules on liquids have been applied to flights bound for the USA. The new rules adopted by the Commission are very close to the US ones. From our contacts with the Transport Security Administration, we have good reason to expect that the administration will consider them equivalent to US rules, so that only one set of rules would apply to flights from the EU to the USA.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As of today (November 6th 2006), these rules are now in effect. So no wine in your luggage if you are flying home from Santiago de Compostela :-(

From aena (http://www.aena.es) here are some details of what these new rules include:
A BRIEF GUIDE TO HELP YOU

To protect you against the new threat of liquid explosives, the European Union (EU) has adopted new security rules that restrict the amount of liquids that you can take through security checkpoints. They apply to all passengers departing from airports in the EU whatever their destination.

This means that, at security checkpoints, you and your hand luggage must be checked for liquids in addition to other prohibited articles. However, the new rules do not limit the liquids that you can buy at shops located beyond the point where you show your boarding pass or on-board an aircraft operated by an EU airline.

The new rules apply from Monday, 6th. November 2006 at all airports in the EU and in Norway, Iceland and Switzerland until further notice.

WHAT IS NEW?

While packing

You are only allowed to take small quantities of liquids in your hand luggage. These liquids must be in individual containers with a maximum capacity of 100 millilitres each. You must pack these containers in one transparent, re-sealable plastic bag of not more than one litre capacity per passenger.

Liquids include:

- Water and other drinks, soups, syrups
- Creams, lotions and oils
- Perfumes
- Sprays
- Gels, including hair and shower gels
- Contents of pressurised containers, including shaving foam, other foams and deodorants
- Pastes, including toothpaste
- Liquid-solid mixtures
- Mascara
- Any other item of similar consistency

At the airport

To help screeners detect liquids, you must:

- Present all liquids carried to the screeners at security checkpoints for examination

- Take off your jacket and/or coat. They will be screened separately whilst you are screened

- Remove laptop computers and other large electrical devices from your hand luggage. They will be screened separately whilst you are screened.

WHAT DOES NOT CHANGE?

You can still:

- Pack liquids in bags that you check-in - the new rules only affect hand luggage

- Carry in your hand luggage medicines and dietary requirements, including baby foods, for use during the trip. You may be asked for proof that they are needed

- Buy liquids such as drinks and perfumes either in an EU airport shop when located beyond the point where you show your boarding pass or on-board an aircraft operated by an EU airline.

If they are sold in a special sealed bag, do not open it before you are screened – otherwise the contents may be confiscated at the checkpoint. (If you transfer at an EU airport, do not open the bag before screening at your airport of transfer, or at the last one if you transfer more than once).

All these liquids are additional to the quantities in the re-sealable plastic bag mentioned above.

If you have any doubts, please ask your airline or travel agent in advance of travel.

Please be courteous and co-operate with airport security and airline staff.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
unless you buy it in the airport shop!

True, but in Santiago the stores are before the security control and not after. This means that you cant bring it with you. Well, to be precise there are one or two small stores after the security control, but I doubt they have any wine.

Un saludo,
Ivar

I've been okay with wine and other bottles in my checked luggage - wrapped in something soft and absorbent (like a towel), put in at least one plastic bag and then kept in the middle of the luggage. So far, no breakages.

BTW, I'm still not impressed both that you can't carry a reasonable quantity of water on board (without having to buy it at inflated prices) or that the (UK) Department of Transport haven't even sent me back a "thank you for your message" email after I tried to contact them following my last trip to Spain.

Wulf

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back