• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Aire sur L'Adour to SJPDP

corrie

Time of past OR future Camino
Le puy (2013)
Frances (2012)
Portuguese (2014)
Frances (2015)
Hi All,
I'm heading back to finish my Le Puy Camino from Aire sur L'Adour to SJPDP in August.

Are they any special diversions , sites, gites , food or experiences you could recommend for this section?

Information from this forum has been so helpful in shaping my previous Caminos ,
thank you in advance for your valuable insights

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I highly suggest staying at Hotel de la Paix in Aire sur L'Adour! I was stuck there for 10 days with foot troubles and they were exceptionally generous. The beds are comfy, the enormous bathroom/shower is a real luxury. And if I remember right, it's the same price as a regular gîte :)

I highly suggest staying at Hotel de la Paix in Aire sur L'Adour! I was stuck there for 10 days with foot troubles and they were exceptionally generous. The beds are comfy, the enormous bathroom/shower is a real luxury. And if I remember right, it's the same price as a regular gîte :)

Sounds like a great place to re-start, Thanks
For the tip!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Corrie,

I am actually planning that same stretch for september this year, any particular advice of places you would recommend. Chances are I would probably do these stages, any recommendation in particular?

Aire
Pimbo
Pomps
Le Grand Saule
Aorue
Ostabat
Orisson

I have heard Navarrenx is particularly pretty, so I might still change my plans... Thanks for any advise!

In May/June this year we stayed at gite Maison des Pelerin in Aire Sur l'dour, then did different stages to you til Aroue. Just before Aroue is La Ferme Bohoteguia which is one of our favourites, modern, great hosts and meal. They did load after load after load of washing for everyone for free. Dried and folded:) Stayed in Navarrenx which was lovely to look around but found the gite we stayed in (l'Alchemist) the most unwelcoming on our camino. In Ostabat we stayed at Gite d'etape Izarrak 800m past Ostabat where we had a great meal and entertainment with the host singing Basque songs with everyone joining in. Aroue to Ostabat we stayed on the GR65 and climbed up the hill to the chapel of Soyarce instead of the shorter varient. So worth while with grand views of the mountains and a it was here that I felt it all 'came together'. Bon chemin:)

Hi Corrie,

I am actually planning that same stretch for september this year, any particular advice of places you would recommend. Chances are I would probably do these stages, any recommendation in particular?

Aire
Pimbo
Pomps
Le Grand Saule
Aorue
Ostabat
Orisson

I have heard Navarrenx is particularly pretty, so I might still change my plans... Thanks for any advise!
In Pimbo, I loved Chambres d’Hôte Theux. A very warm home and Mme Theux cooks with love. The early morning walk out of Pimbo BTW was spectacular.

In Aroue, Ferme Bohoteguia. Large and perhaps with an institutional feel, but spotless and another memorable meal. Simone does it all with great spirit. Dinner ended with a great burst of applause.

Bill

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In Pimbo, I loved Chambres d’Hôte Theux. A very warm home and Mme Theux and cooks with love. The early morning walk out of Pimbo BTW was spectacular.

In Aroue, Ferme Bohoteguia. Large and perhaps with an institutional feel, but spotless and another memorable meal. Simone does it all with great spirit. Dinner ended with a great burst of applause.

Bill
I could not agree more about Ferme Bohoteguia, indeed a splendid place!

In Pimbo there is not much of a choice, only the woman in the bar has a bit of a peculiar character, but the town itself is pretty as pretty can be!

Pimbo had (in 2013) a small shop that offered a late afternoon wine tasting. It also sold lace.

If you visit the church, there’s a simple monument with a list of the village’s WWI dead. As I recall, 3 of about 10 were named Theux.

Aroue to Ostabat we stayed on the GR65 and climbed up the hill to the chapel of Soyarce instead of the shorter varient. So worth while with grand views of the mountains and a it was here that I felt it all 'came together'. Bon chemin:)

Chapel Soyartz is my most favourite spot between Le Puy and Santiago. I've been lucky with having dry clear weather each time I've been there, so I have a picnic, air my feet and just linger as long as I can. The views are stunning and birds soaring in the distance add some fun.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
At Aire sur l'Adour, we stayed at Hotel de la Paix. Maryse is a great host, friendly and welcoming.
If you can, stay at Ferme Bohoteguia in Aroue. Simone is sensational, an amazing cook. Her kids might even sing you a few songs in Basque.
After Aroue, we stayed in Harambeltz, at Etxetoa, and visited the chapel next doors. Unfortunately, Etxetoa is closed in 2019, but the chapel is open on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.
Bon Chemin !

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back