• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Airline and airport recommendations needed

littlegreen60

Time of past OR future Camino
Early June 2023
Hi Everyone
I am very close to purchasing my tickets to fly! I am planning on the Camino Frances in early June from Sarria or perhaps a town or two before.

Is there a reason I would fly into Madrid instead of Santiago?

The travel time to Sarria from Santiago by bus is so much shorter than from Madrid.

sooo
I found an Aer Lingus flight into Santiago that is affordable-but...I am reading terrible reviews about them

I also have found quite a few flights on TAP (Air Portugal), but not sure how reliable they are.

Not committed yet on an airline or where to fly into. I will be flying from Washington DC, most likely.
Any Airline or airport recommendations, or non-recommendations are much appreciated.

Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions thus far-I already feel like a peregrina!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nothing wrong with Aer Lingus, I've flown with them, and it's not a cut rate airline.
Since you are starting from Sarria it makes sense to fly to the closest airport that you can.

BTW, you will find terrible reviews about ALL airlines. People tend to bother to write a review when they have a bad experience rather than when everything goes smoothly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Depends on if you want to see Madrid! Flying all that way and NOT seeing Madrid?!?!!! Ghastly! But it certainly makes sense to fly into/out of Santiago since you only have to book transit in one direction and can catch the flight home once you reach SdC.

Hi Everyone
I am very close to purchasing my tickets to fly! I am planning on the Camino Frances in early June from Sarria or perhaps a town or two before.

The travel time to Sarria from Santiago by bus is so much shorter than from Madrid.

sooo
I found an Aer Lingus flight into Santiago that is affordable-but...I am reading terrible reviews about them

I also have found quite a few flights on TAP (Air Portugal), but not sure how reliable they are.

Not committed yet on an airline or where to fly into. I will be flying from Washington DC, most likely.
Any Airline or airport recommendations, or non-recommendations are much appreciated.

Thank you everyone for your support and suggestions thus far-I already feel like a peregrina!
I’m guessing you are looking to fly out of Dulles (IAD) or maybe Reagan (DCA)? The former has more direct flights to Europe, while the latter often requires a stopover b4 your final destino. You might want to check out flights from Philadelphia or even NYC. as well. I believe there’s a very good bus service that runs to NY from the Bethesda area (near East West Highway and Wisconsin Ave?), but I’m sorry I do not know the particulars of the service or if it even gets you near JFK or Newark. Amtrak may even have service up to Philly, but again, I’m just guessing. Good luck y buen camino🤙🏽

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m guessing you are looking to fly out of Dulles (IAD) or maybe Reagan (DCA)? The former has more direct flights to Europe, while the latter often requires a stopover b4 your final destino. You might want to check out flights from Philadelphia or even NYC. as well. I believe there’s a very good bus service that runs to NY from the Bethesda area (near East West Highway and Wisconsin Ave?), but I’m sorry I do not know the particulars of the service or if it even gets you near JFK or Newark. Amtrak may even have service up to Philly, but again, I’m just guessing. Good luck y buen camino🤙🏽
One ways, Flying out of dulles and back to nyc.
So far TAP looks like the way to go.

The aer lingus flight now only shows up on a flight booking site and not directly from the airline, so I'm not feeling comfortable that the flight actually exists.
Madrid may be the best choice at this point

Depends on if you want to see Madrid! Flying all that way and NOT seeing Madrid?!?!!! Ghastly! But it certainly makes sense to fly into/out of Santiago since you only have to book transit in one direction and can catch the flight home once you reach SdC.
Good point. I'm rethinking that now...any recommendations for places to stay in madrid?

I like to fly into Madrid, sleep overnight and then take the train to Santiago. There is a fast train now so only about 2 1/2 hours by train. Much more comfortable than a cut rate airline.
Thank you for the train info, that makes Madrid a good choice too. Where do you like to stay in Madrid?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

The aer lingus flight now only shows up on a flight booking site and not directly from the airline, so I'm not feeling comfortable that the flight actually exists.

Are there stopovers, the TAP flight in Portugal and the Aer Lingus in Ireland, before heading to Madrid?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
According to this article, "Aer Lingus is a hybrid carrier offering a low budget experience within Europe but offers a premium experience across the Atlantic."

Aer Lingus are pretty decent. I believe they do fly Dublin to Santiago albeit not daily. TAP flights would be via a Portuguese city as that generally how traffic rights work in most cases. I.e you can fly passengers in and out of your ‘home country’… same with Aer Lingus and Dublin.

TAP offer very competitive rates for transfer traffic generally.

Aer Lingus are pretty decent. I believe they do fly Dublin to Santiago albeit not daily. TAP flights would be via a Portuguese city as that generally how traffic rights work in most cases. I.e you can fly passengers in and out of your ‘home country’… same with Aer Lingus and Dublin.

TAP offer very competitive rates for transfer traffic generally.
Right. A national carrier’s first stop has to be in their home country before continuing on to a second. Thank you for your first hand xperience information.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I flew Tap Portugal back from Madrid. Good experience. Went through Lisbon, and actually stayed over 2 nights for the same airline price.
Two nights in Lisbon sounds good. It’s like what one or two airlines out of Iceland offer on the way to mainland Europe, and perhaps other country carriers as well. Gracias x the info.

Aer lingus to Santiago said a stop in Dublin. I believe tap flight said stop in lisbon
I did Aer Lingus once. I failed to carefully read the details of my itinerary and found out after I purchased the ticket I had to book a sleep over near the Dublin airport on my return. It wasn't bad because I had a wonderful buffet dinner at the hotel and managed to wash it all down with some fine pints of Irish lager.

I am a Marriott Rewards platinum member so always use my points to stay in Madrid for free at a Marriott Property. We either stay near Atocha Station or out at the airport to sleep off some jet lag. Trains to Santiago leave from the Chamartin station. Direct access is by Cercanias train from lowest floor of T4 terminal at the airport to Charmartin. I have not stayed near Chamartin station as no Marriott nearby. I just travel there by train from the Atocha station by Cercanias train. Google maps can show you the train numbers. Look for the ones with a C in front of the number.

To get to the Atocha area there is a Yellow Express bus that goes from each terminal to Atocha Station for 6 euros. You can pay by card or you need small bills/coins.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am a Marriott Rewards platinum member so always use my points to stay in Madrid for free at a Marriott Property. We either stay near Atocha Station or out at the airport to sleep off some jet lag. Trains to Santiago leave from the Chamartin station. Direct access is by Cercanias train from lowest floor of T4 terminal at the airport to Charmartin. I have not stayed near Chamartin station as no Marriott nearby. I just travel there by train from the Atocha station by Cercanias train. Google maps can show you the train numbers. Look for the ones with a C in front of the number.

To get to the Atocha area there is a Yellow Express bus that goes from each terminal to Atocha Station for 6 euros. You can pay by card or you need small bills/coins.
Hiya folks,
You and a few other contributors mention arriving in Santiago by train or bus. So, then what? Do you hang out for a bit, then bus it to another town and walk back to Santiago? I am new in this here town, so please, bear with me. I’m starting to realize that the more I learn thru the forum, the more there is to know. Just par for the course, I guess. And great fun, to boot. I look forward to hearing what you do.

Hiya folks,
You and a few other contributors mention arriving in Santiago by train or bus. So, then what? Do you hang out for a bit, then bus it to another town and walk back to Santiago? I am new in this here town, so please, bear with me. I’m starting to realize that the more I learn thru the forum, the more there is to know. Just par for the course, I guess. And great fun, to boot. I look forward to hearing what you do.
Lots to see in Santiago. We have spent several weeks there going to language school. Several tours available of different areas of the cathedral, pilgrim museum, art museum, and we enjoy just watching pilgrims arrive or sitting in a bar on one of the routes into town and watching pilgrims straggle by. You may want to allow time for this at the end as it may be more meaningful after your Camino.
Edited: Normally we have walked further than the last 100 km so the rest time is very welcome.

The recently relocated bus terminal is adjacent to the old train station. I haven’t seen the configuration yet, but I know the train station well and it is at the bottom of a hill which is only a short walking distance to the center of town. Hanging out at the station would be a stretch, there is not much to do, eat or see near the train station. The seque between buses, trains and more buses and more trains is pretty confusing and frustrating. The trains do a decent job of running on schedule but the buses only seem to respect departure times. For example, I spent 6 hours one night in Toulouse waiting for a Flixbus going between Rome and Madrid.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My main recommendation is to NOT fly through Heathrow. That Airport is a pain and you
have to go through Security and get my luggage checked again because Britain is no
longer part of the EU. I had a 2 hour layover there and I just barely made it to my flight to Madrid.

My main recommendation is to NOT fly through Heathrow. That Airport is a pain and you
have to go through Security and get my luggage checked again because Britain is no
longer part of the EU. I had a 2 hour layover there and I just barely made it to my flight to Madrid.
I didn't have to collect and recheck my luggage at Heathrow.

Were you flying on one through ticket or were your flights purchased separately?

Lots to see in Santiago. We have spent several weeks there going to language school. Several tours available of different areas of the cathedral, pilgrim museum, art museum, and we enjoy just watching pilgrims arrive or sitting in a bar on one of the routes into town and watching pilgrims straggle by. You may want to allow time for this at the end as it may be more meaningful after your Camino.
Edited: Normally we have walked further than the last 100 km so the rest time is very welcome.
Sounds great. I do plan on sticking around Santiago for awhile after the walk. Camera in tow, I do on my travels just what you describe; hanging out and flaneuring about and going for some total sensory stimulation. But, do some peregrinos arrive in Santiago, find transport out of town and then walk back? Sounds a bit al revés, but hey, what do I know? Cada quien su “camino”.

€149,-
Good point. I'm rethinking that now...any recommendations for places to stay in madrid?
I stay at OK Hostel Madrid. You can find it on Booking.com. A very "upscale" albergue in the very nice La Latina section of downtown. Reasonable prices, GREAT staff. If you are flying into and OUT OF Madrid, they have a free luggage room. I take a cheap suitcase with my trekking pole, umbrella and pocket knife that I check on the airline and then leave in Madrid while walking. Buen Camino

I noticed recently that there is only one bus a day that goes from Santiago to Sarria but a fair number that stop in Lugo and, after a wait, others that go from Lugo to Sarria. You can qualify for a compostella by starting your walk from Lugo. This gives you two days of crowd free walking before joining the Camino Francés. Details are provided on this other thread:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have flown Tap out of Dulles many times. They are a fine airline. Never a problem. The flight will always stop in Lisbon. Tap is cheaper than other airlines.
Nonstop flights have been historically hard to find from the WAS area. But United flies nonstop to Madrid from Dulles from mid May to mid October, roughly. Subject to change of course. It is very highly likely you will have to fly to Madrid and then on to Santiago (or Lugo, is an excellent idea).
Beware that if you contract with say Tap to get to Madrid and you buy a separate ticket on another airline to go to Santiago and your Madrid flight is delayed, then you are on your own as far as rescheduling. Give yourself a a long layover or buy all legs on one ticket. Or fly the next day and get some sleep on day of arrival.

Ignore bad reviews of airlines when flying to Europe. I would advise against getting caught up in trying to go to NYC to get a better or cheaper flight. I used to do this every trip and never felt it was worth the effort. My opinion, but based on fact and experience. Moreover, you will have to fly out of JFK, which is hell on earth. Dulles is a tranquil oasis in comparison.

Also resist the temptation to do a lot of sightseeing when you arrive. You will be jet lagged. Focus on getting to your starting point and doing your camino. That’s your main purpose for this trip. Do tourism at the end.

Don’t buy from a consolidator or cheap broker. In my experience you won’t save that much money to offset the potential and real consequences of things going wrong. Because if they do you are considered a customer of say, cheapoair. com and not of the airline. Thus the airline will not help you in the event of snafus.

Just some thoughts

Last edited:
You had to collect your bags at LHR after a flight from US, clear customs and immigration, go landslide and recheck in! Someone told you that was due to UK no longer being part of the EU? All on a through ticketed journey?

I have flown Tap out of Dulles many times. They are a fine airline. Never a problem. The flight will always stop in Lisbon. Tap is cheaper than other airlines.
Nonstop flights have been historically hard to find from the WAS area. But United flies nonstop to Madrid from Dulles from mid May to mid October, roughly. Subject to change of course. It is very highly likely you will have to fly to Madrid and then on to Santiago (or Lugo, is an excellent idea).
Beware that if you contract with say Tap to get to Madrid and you buy a separate ticket on another airline to go to Santiago and your Madrid flight is delayed, then you are on your own as far as rescheduling. Give yourself a a long layover or buy all legs on one ticket. Or fly the next day and get some sleep on day of arrival.

Ignore bad reviews of airlines when flying to Europe. I would advise against getting caught up in trying to go to NYC to get a better or cheaper flight. I used to do this every trip and never felt it was worth the effort. My opinion, but based on fact and experience. Moreover, you will have to fly out of JFK, which is hell on earth. Dulles is a tranquil oasis in comparison.

Also resist the temptation to do a lot of sightseeing when you arrive. You will be jet lagged. Focus on getting to your starting point and doing your camino. That’s your main purpose for this trip. Do tourism at the end.

Don’t buy from a consolidator or cheap broker. In my experience you won’t save that much money to offset the potential and real consequences of things going wrong. Because if they do you are considered a customer of say, cheapoair. com and not of the airline. Thus the airline will not help you in the event of snafus.

Just some thoughts
Thank you! Your suggestions are so helpful.
It's great to hear first hand experience. TAP seems like the way to go.
I have a few questions, if you don't mind.
What did you do regarding luggage, seats etc.? I'm not sure which fare to choose.

I originally thought I could do a carry on, but it looks like a hiking backpack is too big for their restrictions.Am I correct?

Sightseeing at the end does make more sense,thank you..I wondered about that.
When I arrive, it's evening so I may stay the night in Madrid and take the train to Sarria or thereabouts in the morning. I imagine it is a good idea to rest a day in Sarria As well.

I am flying into NYC to meet my husband, so no worries with that. And I think TAP flies into Newark...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What did you do regarding luggage, seats etc.? I'm not sure which fare to choose.

I originally thought I could do a carry on, but it looks like a hiking backpack is too big for their restrictions.Am I correct?

When I arrive, it's evening so I may stay the night in Madrid and take the train to Sarria or thereabouts in the morning. I imagine it is a good idea to rest a day in Sarria As well.

I am flying into NYC to meet my husband, so no worries with that. And I think TAP flies into Newark...
Tap has an economy seat and a business/executive class seat. On the flights I have flown there was not any intermediate upgraded seats. I flew executive class the last two times because the flight to Spain was overnight and I wanted and needed a fully reclining seat (one that lays flat). The last time I flew back the flight was during the day and I didn’t feel I needed all that pampering. This time my return flight is on Delta and I bought a premium economy seat that is wider and has more than normal reclining and has a leg rest and they serve you food. I live very near BWI and Delta flies there. This seat was substantially cheaper than executive business. I am older, am tall, and have hip arthritis so an overnighter in economy makes me really miserable. I read an article that said airlines have figured out that people mostly want to pay as little as possible, or a lot of people don’t mind paying as much as possible, thus they have done away with a lot of the upgraded seats that are less luxurious than business. So you have to search.

I pack pretty light. Last summers pack weight was 9.5 lbs so I don’t have any trouble fitting into the overhead bin. I carry a Gossamer Gear Mariposa. I have rarely seen airlines force people to put their packs in those size testers but I hear it does happen. If your pack doesn’t fit into an overhead bin you might consider whether you need to carry so much stuff. But, that is getting into a whole other issue. If you think it might fit just try to carry it on. Pro tip.: if you carry it on and it doesn’t fit or you don’t board in time to get a coveted overhead bin spot, they will take it and put it in the checked back area under the plane. At least then you will know it is actually on your plane and it’s quite possible you will avoid checked bag fees.
Personally, I try to never check a bag. The number of misdirected bags last summer was startling. A friend of mine flew from Santiago to Paris. But his bag went to Senegal. If you have to check a bag put anything of value or importance in a daypack and carry it on.

I usually sleep the night of arrival and sleep a lot the second day and night. On the third day I am ready to start walking. If you travel some the day after arrival that may interfere with napping and you may need more time before starting. I have found that I can function on the camino like that. But, I could never do my job on only two nights recovery from jet lag. People have various ways to beat jet lag and they may work for some, but as a veteran of thirty years of rotating shift work and night shifts, I can tell you that the sleep debt must be paid. I would think three nights sleep in country would be enough to start walking. There are many opinions on this issue. I would guess that most of us, if we are reasonably awake, are eager to start walking as soon as possible.

Just some thoughts

When I arrive, it's evening so I may stay the night in Madrid and take the train to Sarria or thereabouts in the morning. I imagine it is a good idea to rest a day in Sarria.

€149,-
Do you have any experience with taking your pack in the overhead on TAP.?
I think I can pack light enough, but it sounds like their restrictions on size may make a 25 -40 L pack too big. Are they really strict about it?

I have never checked my pack when flying Tap, and I was able to fit it in the overhead. My pack has an internal volume of about 35 liters. I don’t pack it full. Your pack doesn’t sound too big to fit in the overhead. I have never seen Tap being strict and measuring bags. That’s not a guarantee that you won’t encounter a problem. Consider taking a light daypack such as a Sea to Summit sil nylon pack. Put your important and valuable stuff that you can’t afford to lose it in and pack it in the top of your backpack. If you are not able to carry on your entire backpack just pull out the daypack and carry it on. I kind of think you should not offer to check your backpack and take it through security and onto the plane. If it doesn’t fit in the overhead they will put it in the cargo hold below. At least you will be sure it is on the plane.

I have never checked my pack when flying Tap, and I was able to fit it in the overhead. My pack has an internal volume of about 35 liters. I don’t pack it full. Your pack doesn’t sound too big to fit in the overhead. I have never seen Tap being strict and measuring bags. That’s not a guarantee that you won’t encounter a problem. Consider taking a light daypack such as a Sea to Summit sil nylon pack. Put your important and valuable stuff that you can’t afford to lose it in and pack it in the top of your backpack. If you are not able to carry on your entire backpack just pull out the daypack and carry it on. I kind of think you should not offer to check your backpack and take it through security and onto the plane. If it doesn’t fit in the overhead they will put it in the cargo hold below. At least you will be sure it is on the plane.
Great advice. Buen Camino

THANK YOU Walking LEster and VacaJoe! You just made my day. Now Im getting excited. Im going to buy my tickets!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That Airport is a pain and you
have to go through Security and get my luggage checked again

My experience is like @trecile’s. I was transiting from Lisbon - London- Chicago and did not have to pick up my luggage, it went straight to Chicago. I did have to go through security, though.

I don’t think LHR is an easy airport for transfers, but last November I made a connection from a flight from Lisbon to London to a flight from London to Chicago in less than an hour, going through security again, taking the train, etc etc. It was not fun, nor easy, but we did it!

I
My experience is like @trecile’s. I was transiting from Lisbon - London- Chicago and did not have to pick up my luggage, it went straight to Chicago. I did have to go through security, though.

I don’t think LHR is an easy airport for transfers, but last November I made a connection from a flight from Lisbon to London to a flight from London to Chicago in less than an hour, going through security again, taking the train, etc etc. It was not fun, nor easy, but we did it!
Yes your bag should be tagged through to its final destination. As Stef bags take a different journey to people!!

I personally don’t think that LHR T5 is too bad as it is a newish Terminal but yes it’s big and short haul flights tend to operate out of main building and Longhaul out of satellites B and C, so am airside underground train trip is required in most cases. Pre T5 you had to connect between Terminal 1 and Terminal 4!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Were you flying on one through ticket or were your flights purchased separately?
I guess I used the wrong term. I had a carry on and it was checked by security.
My Cruz de Ferro rock set off the sensors. They tell you to put all your liquids in
a separate but you should also put your rock in that bag, too. I didn't have my
liquids in a separate bag so I had to sort through my stuff at the last second.
All the hassle would have been avoided if I didn't fly through Heathrow.
It was all one ticket through American Airlines

All the hassle would have been avoided if I didn't fly through Heathrow.
Not necessarily, I've gone through security when connecting in other airports.
At least it's not like arriving in the US on an international flight and having to collect your checked bags, go through Immigration and Customs then through security before going to your connecting flight.

Not necessarily, I've gone through security when connecting in other airports.
At least it's not like arriving in the US on an international flight and having to collect your checked bags, go through Immigration and Customs then through security before going to your connecting flight.
I could be totally wrong but am not aware that any security requirements (either passenger or luggage) have changed when transferring through LHR as a result of the UK leaving the EU for people connecting to either EU countries or non EU countries, and and I think the 100ml ‘all in one transparent bag’ rule is pretty much across EU and non EU.l (no doubt with a few exceptions) Happy to be proved wrong!!

Btw the rules re 100ml which came in in 2006 are due to be relaxed in uk from 2024 due new technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a great point!

GGHHI’s statement was valid, just poorly worded and misunderstood. You do have to go through a security screening at Heathrow even if you stay on the airside while transiting. This screening includes an inspection of your carry-on luggage and person. This can create a huge delay for some travelers as we have seen severe labor shortages at that screening checkpoint during our 2022 UK flights. Added to the sheer size of the airport and moving between terminals, Heathrow as a layover option is one that should be carefully considered before purchase.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It’really isn’t! Please don’t take everything on here (and indeed most things re international travel) to be correct! There is a huge amount of misinformation and wild speculation (like most forums!).
You are right because the claim that Brexit is the reason for the arrangements at Heathrow airport is plain wrong. Brexit did not change a thing for travellers from the USA on their way to Spain and the only thing that changed for EU nationals is that we now have to show our passports as they won’t accept our national ID cards any longer as they did before. Of course, it does not matter to a traveller in 2023 why things are the way they are - they just need to know what the current situation is for them when they travel.

In a nutshell: If you travel from the USA through Dublin or London to a Spanish airport, your passport will be checked twice (*) - if through other major EU airports, only once (**). If you have a single ticket for the whole flight and travel with checked luggage, you pick it up at the airport in Spain. If you have to change planes, it depends on the layout of the specific airport and even on your chosen airline how you get from one plane to the other plane, how long it takes and how often you have to go through security with your hand luggage. Things are different if you have two tickets from two different airlines but this is best avoided unless you know that you are comfortable with your choice.

(*) In Dublin or London and upon arrival at the Spanish airport.
(**) At the EU airport where you change planes.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

sooo

Don’t miss Madrid if you haven’t been. It truly is one of the great European capitals full of lovely things to see and do. You could consider taking the bus to Pedrafita de Cebreiro and starting there. Means you will have the pleasure of the walk up to O Cebreiro and do a little bit more than if you just started at Sarria. My only experience of TAP is that they lost my luggage twice. And according to their agent in London, not uncommon. Maybe they have improved…

You are right because the claim that Brexit is the reason for the arrangements at Heathrow airport is plain wrong. Brexit did not change a thing for travellers from the USA on their way to Spain and the only thing that changed for EU nationals is that we now have to show our passports as they won’t accept our national ID cards any longer as they did before. Of course, it does not matter to a traveller in 2023 why things are the way they are - they just need to know what the current situation is for them when they travel.

In a nutshell: If you travel from the USA through Dublin or London to a Spanish airport, your passport will be checked twice (*) - if through other major EU airports, only once (**). If you have a single ticket for the whole flight and travel with checked luggage, you pick it up at the airport in Spain. If you have to change planes, it depends on the layout of the specific airport and even on your chosen airline how you get from one plane to the other plane, how long it takes and how often you have to go through security with your hand luggage. Things are different if you have two tickets from two different airlines but this is best avoided unless you know that you are comfortable with your choice.

Agree, Brexit has nothing to do with it but Heathrow is truly horrible if you have to change terminals to transit. You go into the bowels somewhere, get on the transfer bus to the other terminal, then go through security all over again. At least you used to, don’t know if it has improved. That’s why I preferred Schipol until that became shite too. On the other hand, you will soon be doing the Camino, one of the best experiences of your life, so what’s a bit of inconvenience? Buen Camino, I hope you enjoy every moment.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Agree, Brexit has nothing to do with it but Heathrow is truly horrible if you have to change terminals to transit. You go into the bowels somewhere, get on the transfer bus to the other terminal, then go through security all over again. At least you used to, don’t know if it has improved. That’s why I preferred Schipol until that became shite too. On the other hand, you will soon be doing the Camino, one of the best experiences of your life, so what’s a bit of inconvenience? Buen Camino, I hope you enjoy every moment.
Yes my comment was about Brexit and was keen to stop people thinking that. Yes I avoid changing terminal connex anywhere if I can and would look to transfer in the same terminal irrespective of airport.

Thank you! As always!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

€149,-
A morning departures to the US from CDG easily compares to the hassle of a transfer at Heathrow. You usually get to see every terminal's hallway and numerous modes of transportation to get to your gate after an eternal wait to clear passport control. Bordeaux and Bilbao are a breeze.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back