• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Airlines and Checked Backpacks

grumerz

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago April - June, 2016
Going from SJPP to CS April - June, 2016. Traveling by air from US to Madrid - Pamplona, with a bus to SJPP. Seeking feedback/guidance from fellow pilgrims about their travel experiences with their checked backpacks. What is the best way to ensure minimal impact. Preferably, I would not like to purchase a special bag, with the attendant weight carried during the Camino. Thanks and Beun Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have a look at this thread. The second post is a link to another thread on the topic. I just tighten the straps, maybe tape them or fasten them together so they don't flap, and send it through. If you do decide to pack it inside something else, make it a disposable bag or wrapper.

Some folks, after tightening straps as C clearly suggests, wind clingwrap around the pack to seal it completely. Some airports will do it for you, for a fee.
Me, I'm just a check in early (always) tighten the straps kinda guy.
Regds
Gerard

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, grumerz,
Welcome to the forum! You've gotten good advice about how to check your pack, but my advice would be NOT to check your pack. Carry it on! I know the odds are high that your pack will arrive, but what if you're in that unlucky small number of people whose bags are delayed or lost? It can really mess up the beginning of your camino. I always carry on my pack, but used to check my hiking poles. Then one year, they didn't arrive and I had a very hectic day rushing around trying to replace them. So now I carry on everything. Your pack should easily meet carry-on regulations, and if it doesn't, most of us would say it's probably too big for the Camino anyway.

Buen camino, Laurie

Not sure what type of pack you are using, with mine I fold the straps on the other side of the pack and cover them with the built in pack cover, that way nothing is exposed that can get caught in the conveyor belts etc.

I agree. Use the rain cover and maybe some string? No dangly bits! ;)
Of course, Peregrina 2000 has a point. Reduce reduce, reduce and carry it on. You could still use the cover, so you don't slap anybody walking along the aisle.
Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I carried my Kestral 38 on and stowed it in the overhead bin, but took a few items out and carried them in a small daypack which fit under the seat to ensure that the larger pack met the overall dimensional requirements for carry-on luggage. I reversed the hip belt around the pack and tightened it, and took all the slack out of the shoulder straps and the various small adjustment straps and tightened them down as much as possible. I checked my poles in a cardboard tube along with my Swiss Army knife and liquids, and everything arrived OK.

Thanks to everyone. Taking a Deuter 50+10 for the journey. Have trekking poles and a favored Swiss Army knife going and, perhaps, some other non-cabin items in the mix, so in the "Belly of the Beast" it will go. Like the idea of requesting a child's seat bag, (having seen them often,) at check in. As a later option, the potential exists to send a travel bag or, anything else, to Ivan for safe-keeping in Santiago, from SJPP. Starting at 15 Euros, plus box/postage, it is a great option for excess dross.

Yes, I know better...it's "'Ivar." He could not be Ivan, as he was so terrible!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Grumerz,
My daughter and I are doing the Camino next April as well.
We plan to leave from Los Angeles and have not booked yet
Just curious... Have you?

Grumerz,
Forgot to mention that I will be also checking my backpack but
I will be putting my hiking shoes/boots and socks in a carry-on
bag. I can probably replace everything if my backpack was lost
but not my shoes!!!

Hello Karen,
No reservations, as yet, but will do so soon, at least the air. FYI: Right now, the cost from New Orleans/Madrid/Pamplona with a return from Santiago/Madrid/New Orleans is around $1300. Perhaps others know if there is a "best time" to book? Cannot make the reservation for the bus transport from Pamplona to SJPP, (est. 24 euros,) until around the first of the year. Beginning the Camino on April 28th, unless the snow is too deep! Buen Camino to you both.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I always carry on my pack, but used to check my hiking poles. Then one year, they didn't arrive and I had a very hectic day rushing around trying to replace them. So now I carry on everything.

Buen camino, Laurie

That's great to know, Laurie. I was wondering if airlines would accept trekking poles as carry on. I've heard some say they don't. "Too weapon-like." I'll double check with the airline, but this give me hope. :)

Buy a cheap roll of cling wrap if you want to or have to check your pack in for the flight back home, airports in the EU charge between €7-11 to do this.

That's great to know, Laurie. I was wondering if airlines would accept trekking poles as carry on. I've heard some say they don't. "Too weapon-like." I'll double check with the airline, but this give me hope. :)

Hi, Lori, welcome to the forum!

There are a lot of threads on this topic if you do a search. I think it's important to look for information about the specific country you are flying out of , since rules vary a lot. I can only speak about carrying poles on planes leaving from the US, not anywhere else. I don't think this is an airlines issue, at least not for the US airlines I've flown, it is a TSA (security) issue. But I have carried my poles through security at more than a dozen US airports, I'll bet, never a problem.

I have also carried poles through security in Madrid, Valencia and a few other Spanish airports, but I know that the Santiago airport has a blanket rule against them. So if you fly out of Santiago you would have to check them. But checking stuff on the way home is fine with me, since I'm much less concerned about whether they arrive or not.

Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On my U.S. to Lisbon flight, I "shrink wrapped" it. I volunteer at a place that has large plastic wrap for wrapping pallets. It worked, but I could have done a better job. If you do a good job, this is basically what the airport services do for a fee. I packed hiking boots and poles inside the backpack. No way did I want to wear boots while plane traveling. At the airport lobby I had to unpack and repack, but that's OK. Inside I had a 33 gal black trash bag and a $1.00 roll of duct tape from the hardware store (a rather short roll, I certainly wouldn't take a big heavy roll). On the return trip I put the backpack in the trash bag and wrapped duct tape around it. This made sure nothing was hanging out. I think if I just had the rain cover on it, I could see the cover coming off easily in transit and getting lost. Granted, if the bag is lost or delayed, that's a major headache. You have to assume it will be there. But I had travel insurance that would replace everything.

.......I have carried my poles through security at more than a dozen US airports, I'll bet, never a problem.

I have also carried poles through security in Madrid, Valencia and a few other Spanish airports.........
Laurie, I assume these are collapsed poles. Could you please give us the measurement when they are collapsed? (My poles don't collapse down very short.) And do you carry them strapped to the outside, or are they inside your pack? Thx.

Thanks to everyone. Taking a Deuter 50+10 for the journey. Have trekking poles and a favored Swiss Army knife going and, perhaps, some other non-cabin items in the mix, so in the "Belly of the Beast" it will go. Like the idea of requesting a child's seat bag, (having seen them often,) at check in. As a later option, the potential exists to send a travel bag or, anything else, to Ivan for safe-keeping in Santiago, from SJPP. Starting at 15 Euros, plus box/postage, it is a great option for excess dross.
I regularly fly with a backpack, mine is a 45L, so pretty similar in size to yours, I also fly with poles.

I have a lightwight foldable duffle (purchased from R.E.I.) that my pack fits inside, including 2 or even 3 sets of poles (depending on if I fly with my wife & daughter). My pack won't fit in the overhead compartment because I have a CPAP machine/hose/mask that have to go with me. The sharp 'picnic knife' also goes into the check-through. The other 2 packs are small enough that they can go as carry-ons. But I've never had a problem checking them through. When I arrive I just fold up the duffle and pack it into the very bottom of my backpack.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Laurie, I assume these are collapsed poles. Could you please give us the measurement when they are collapsed? (My poles don't collapse down very short.) And do you carry them strapped to the outside, or are they inside your pack? Thx.
Hi, Icacos,
My poles are Leki and when collapsed the are 26". Too long for my pack and too long for the duffel I carry them in. So I have to take them apart, which means I carry on a duffel bag with six rattling metal poles inside. When I arrive in Spain I send the duffel bag and a few other things up to Santiago to await my arrival, then on the way home I put the poles in the duffel again and just check them through. I am probably in need of new poles, since these have been on 15 caminos and numerous day hikes at home, and I am going to look for some that collapse to a better length.

I know this routine may seem like a hassle, but it's much less of a hassle than what I went through when my hiking poles didn't arrive and I had to rush around to buy a new pair before walking. Buen camino, Laurie

All you need to happen once is you arrive in Mdrid or Paris and your bag doesnt. I've down sized and sinch the bag tight, wrapped waist strap backwards around your pack then insist its a carry on. (Doesn't hurt to throw in the rilgious pilgrimage either)
;)

Hi, Icacos,
My poles are Leki and when collapsed the are 26". Too long for my pack and too long for the duffel I carry them in. So I have to take them apart, which means I carry on a duffel bag with six rattling metal poles inside. When I arrive in Spain I send the duffel bag and a few other things up to Santiago to await my arrival, then on the way home I put the poles in the duffel again and just check them through. I am probably in need of new poles, since these have been on 15 caminos and numerous day hikes at home, and I am going to look for some that collapse to a better length.

I know this routine may seem like a hassle, but it's much less of a hassle than what I went through when my hiking poles didn't arrive and I had to rush around to buy a new pair before walking. Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks, Laurie. That's helpful information.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Going from SJPP to CS April - June, 2016. Traveling by air from US to Madrid - Pamplona, with a bus to SJPP. Seeking feedback/guidance from fellow pilgrims about their travel experiences with their checked backpacks. What is the best way to ensure minimal impact. Preferably, I would not like to purchase a special bag, with the attendant weight carried during the Camino. Thanks and Beun Camino.

Great idea...and, if only they were available online. The closest store is 384 miles away. I could get one heck of a bag, for the cost of going there and back! Thanks, anyway.

Hi, Icacos,

Black diamond make "Folding Treking Poles"...they are corded and fold down to 16 inches and come in a lightweight carrying bag........I take mine with me as carry on for all my flights even when I am not Camino bound......as I use them for extra support when doing a daily walk when I am away.

I find the Black Diamond corded poles to be as good as the fixed length Leki pair of poles that I use at home.... remember to order some extra tips when you buy them as the Leki tips will not fit the Black Diamond and vice versa.

The airlines accept them as "Walking Aids"....as they would a cane or a crutch.....of course I always have rubber tips on the ends to hide the sharp bit!

I have flown with them in my small seventeen inch carry on roll on suitcase likely thiry times over the past few years throughout Canada and the US and Europe and have never had a problem!

If you convince them that your poles are "walking aids" not unlike a cane ....then carry on should be ok....of course keep rubber tips on those pointy ends!

Great idea...and, if only they were available online. The closest store is 384 miles away. I could get one heck of a bag, for the cost of going there and back! Thanks, anyway.

Where in the U.S. Are you? I'm in Ottawa Canada, and our closest IKEA is about 10 minutes away. I could ship some and you can send me money for bags + shipping via PayPal if you like.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Where in the U.S. Are you? I'm in Ottawa Canada, and our closest IKEA is about 10 minutes away. I could ship some and you can send me money for bags + shipping via PayPal if you like.
I am in Halifax Nova Scotia....

MEC sells the Black Diamond poles.....not all stores stock them.....Ottawa should....I ordered mine online and had them within a week....

Sport Check also sells the Black Diamond as well......

And no I am not on commission!

I enjoy life in the very southwest corner of the Great State of Mississippi. Yes, we do have indoor plumbing and not all of us run around in bib overalls. However, the closest IKEA is in Houston, (go figure.) Let's not even talk about Trader Joe's closest location and not recommend Walmart for Camino gear!

We lived in Tucson for 5 years. I do miss trader joe's, and the smell of creosote during monsoons.

But seriously, if you want, I can ship you the bags.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi I found a purpose built bag for transporting my pack. I intend taking it as carry on when I start my Camino in September. It is brilliant, well worth a look. It is an Osprey Airporter LZ. Mine is small, comes in 3 sizes. Will take up to 50 lt backpack, weighs 350 g , measures 73H x 37W x 37 D centimetres . Folds up very small within itself into a built in cover when not in use. I will compress it down a little to meet carry on size requirements ( it is a little too big for my pack). I will probably check in my poles, they are collapsible , not sure yet if airline will accept them. Have fun planning your Camino, I did, very excited as it's not long till I go. One other thing you might be interested in... The people at Pension Corazon Puro will pick you up at Pamplona train station take you to their Accomodation (own room so you can get over jet lag) give you dinner and breakfast then drive you to St Jean the next morning! Very reasonably priced, have a look www.corazonpuro.es I have heard nothing but good reports on this. I will be flying in from Australia to Barcelona, train to Pamplona then picked up by these people, so convenient!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.