• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Airport immigration problems.

Sumachado

Hi everybody, I don't know if you have read some news about Brazilians being deported from the Madri airport the moment of their arrival. For the last week, that's all we have read in the newspapers here in Rio.
Spanish authorities say that they have been sent back because of lack of hotel reservations and money.
That would be my main point: When I arrive in Madrid, I'll immediately catch a train or bus to Pamplona and Roncevalles. What kind of reservation should I have? Secondly, I was planning to bring two credit cards and two different debit cards and a little pocket money for the first necessities. Now I wonder if I should risk being robbed and bring more Euros with me... Please, I would appreciate any ideas. I do not know if age has anything to do with their profiling but I am a 56 year-old woman and will be going to Paris to spend 10 days after completing the Camino...
Thank you all, buen camino, Sumachado. :oops: :oops: :shock:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Of course, I know nothing of the circumstances of the airport situation you mention but, for your part, perhaps you might begin by carrying the credencial from the Brazilian Camino group and, should you be a member of a church, you could always lay on a letter of reference from your priest or bishop to the effect that you are a kosher bona fide pilgrim. Throw in a reservation for the hotel for your night or two before your end-of-pilgrimage departure and that might also help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi there,

This has been in the news here in Spain as well. I am no expert in these laws, but it seems like one of the problems spaniards are having entering into Brazil is that they do not know/do not have the address of the place where they will stay in Brazil. They are actually sent back to Spain due to the lack of this information. I have a feeling that this is the same reason for many Brazilians are also sent back from Barajas (Madrid).

I woulds recommend that you visit the website of the Spanish embassy in Brazil and see what papers/information you need to have for avoiding these kinds of problems. As for the address, make sure that you have one address ready... I think you fill this address out on the paperwork that you fill out on the plane and give to the customs representative in Madrid. Do you have an address of your first alberge? If not, could you find an address of a hostel/hotel close by and tell them that you are going there..... just to have an address.

As I said, I am no expert on this, but after listening to some of the news lately this seems like it would work. I think this has been a bigger story in Brazil than in Spain, but I just heard the Brazilian ambassadors to Spain on the radio and he was trying to calm things down... like ambassadors are supposed to do... :)

If you know the rules and follow them, you should be fine...

Saludiños,
Ivar

Thank You all. I feel more confident now that I know what I have to provide to ensure the authorities that I am not going to stay forever nor work in Europe. Indeed, knowledge is power!!! I am going to do my part to the best of my knowledge, Thanks again! Sumachado.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Greetings! I will be traveling with my daughter to walk the Camino Portuguese from Porto in July. The dates are a bit flexible, but not completely so. I’ve been researching flight tickets, and...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.