• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Airport strike Madrid June 28 and 29

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Noooooooooooooo what does this mean??? I'm supposed to fly from Vancouver into Madrid June 28-29!! Does this mean the plane will not land? Or not leave my stopover in Geneva??

Noooooooooooooo what does this mean??? I'm supposed to fly from Vancouver into Madrid June 28-29!! Does this mean the plane will not land? Or not leave my stopover in Geneva??

Contact your service provider and ask.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Oh, dear...

I don't know what the answer is, but I hope and trust that this will be resolved in your favour, one way or another. (I'm guessing it could mean a delay in Geneva, but someone else on the forum would likely know better than me.) And yes, contact your airline and/or travel agent.

You'll get there. :)

Rachel

Jen, seems like there are always strikes such as this one going on in the EU. First, call your airline, or your travel agent if you used one. Some airlines, (mine was American) faced with something like this, will allow you to change your flight dates without a fee. You may want to do that sooner if you can rather than later, as you will have more choice of dates/times if you are first in line. Or, maybe they can re-route you, depending on where you are trying to begin the Camino. Remember that you can always land elsewhere and train to Madrid. We were threatened with an air traffic controller strike in France in May, and Madrid was pegged to be affected, but we had no trouble. I DID call our airline, however, and they would have re-booked us for nothing. Best of luck...you aren't alone.

Some airlines, (mine was American) faced with something like this, will allow you to change your flight dates without a fee. [...] Or, maybe they can re-route you, depending on where you are trying to begin the Camino. Remember that you can always land elsewhere and train to Madrid.

Thanks JRO. I dont need to fly into Madrid, since I'm starting in Oviedo. It was just cheaper to fly into Madrid, then train to Oviedo... So I thought... >.< I didn't think these options you mentioned would be possible without paying for a replacement flight (and a replacement train ticket :(). You've given me hope. :) I wonder if I can do this when I bought through Flight Network (online discount sales). But I did get ref #s for the two airlines, so maybe a direct call to the airline might help. And thanks to you, now I know some things to ask for. :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh, dear...
I don't know what the answer is, but I hope and trust that this will be resolved in your favour, one way or another. (I'm guessing it could mean a delay in Geneva, but someone else on the forum would likely know better than me.) And yes, contact your airline and/or travel agent.
You'll get there. :)
Rachel

Thanks Rachel. I hope so too. I got all worked up, then went for a walk, did some yard work, and some spiritual work around surrendering my need to "plan for" (control) EVERYTHING. sigh. Camino spiritual lessons are already beginning. ;)

I suppose, worst case scenario, we get stuck in Geneva and start a day late. Luckily, we planned a few "short" 10k days at the beginning, so we could double up our mileage and easily get back on schedule. I think I just need to breathe and keep repeating "All is well. All is well." :p I am so glad I have this forum for support!! Thank you. Thank you. I am so grateful.

Things have a way of working out. Keep us all posted!
Thanks JRO. I dont need to fly into Madrid, since I'm starting in Oviedo. It was just cheaper to fly into Madrid, then train to Oviedo... So I thought... >.< I didn't think these options you mentioned would be possible without paying for a replacement flight (and a replacement train ticket :(). You've given me hope. :) I wonder if I can do this when I bought through Flight Network (online discount sales). But I did get ref #s for the two airlines, so maybe a direct call to the airline might help. And thanks to you, now I know some things to ask for. :D

I called American Airlines and Iberia just now, and neither of them has any information about a strike. And thus are not offering any accommodations on flights. My flight leaves Chicago on the 27th, landing in Madrid on the 28th...hopefully. Both carriers said that they would likely know by now if something was really going to happen. All the same I am calling back on the 26th to see if there is any news.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yeah, Swiss would not acknowledge any issues today either. They're like, "You won't be affected. But if you are, we'll handle it when it happens." Um, why would we NOT be affected?? I have read about airlines not acknowledging strikes until they are actually happening. I'm so nervous about getting stuck in Switzerland.... :(

Yeah Swiss will not acknowledge the strike either. They say "You will not be affected. But if you are, we'll deal with it when it happens." Um, why would we not be affected?? Are we special?? I am nervous we will arrive to chaos in Geneva. :(

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know I keep trying to tell myself "it's only money" (having to pay twice for pre-paid hotel and trains)... but I'm not very convincing. ;) I'll try harder.

"Do or do not, there is no try." - CaminoYoda

;) Really, two weeks from now when you're striding along on the Camino, getting into the rhythm of it more and more each day, managing your backpack (and the fact that it's amazing how easily things can get lost in a space so small, haha), and loving being there... I predict you'll look back on this airport kerfuffle and laugh at how little it mattered in the big scheme of things.

Rachel :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
"Do or do not, there is no try." - CaminoYoda

;) Really, two weeks from now when you're striding along on the Camino, getting into the rhythm of it more and more each day, managing your backpack (and the fact that it's amazing how easily things can get lost in a space so small, haha), and loving being there... I predict you'll look back on this airport kerfuffle and laugh at how little it mattered in the big scheme of things.

Rachel :)

I am looking forward soooo much to being walking. So I just bought myself peace of mind: for $200 I got two tickets to Oviedo on easy jet. Now I can sleep in the comfort that no matter what, it's covered. Problem solved. :D

I am looking forward soooo much to being walking. So I just bought myself peace of mind: for $200 I got two tickets to Oviedo on easy jet. Now I can sleep in the comfort that no matter what, it's covered. Problem solved. :D

Brilliant! Out of a knowing that things will work out no matter what, inspiration and creativity can strike! I've flown to Madrid before, but I've also arrived via Barcelona and that's what I'll do again this year. Oviedo sounds like fun too! There are many ways to Santiago, and also many ways to the start of your Camino!

Well done! :D

P.S. I wrote that it's amazing how easily things can get lost in a backpack, but "misplaced" would have been a better word. I've never had anything get lost forever. Things just like to hide. In my world anyway. ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.