• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Airport timing advice

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
We fly into Madrid at 12.15pm. I see there are two Alsa options for Leon, one leaving at 13.30 and the next at 14.45. Do you think we have time to arrive, clear customs and walk to T4 for 13.30, or should I buy for 14.45?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do you need to recover checked baggage, or do you just have carry-on?

You could try for the earlier bus. If you miss it then you are out the fare but it is a drop in the bucket compared to the air fare.

I'm pretty sure I would buy tickets for the 14:45 bus. Don't forget that you also have to go though immigration in addition to customs.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If all goes perfectly, you could make it. But keep in mind 12:15 is when the plane arrives, not when you are getting off. Factor in some time for that. And if you arrive close to other international flights that will means lines at immigration, although my experience is that they tend to move quickly in Madrid.

There are some very long walks, a tram to catch from T4-S to T4, and an escalator or elevator ride before you get to baggage claim and exit arrivals. However, the good news is the Alsa ticket booth and buses will be almost directly in front of you as you come out. All the best, and happy walking.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks I'll buy for the later one. Much safer, and we do have checked luggage. Last time I took the train, and had half a day in Madrid, so I've never taken the Alsa bus from Madrid before.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'd go for the later bus, I hate the stress of rushing for connections, always have. I'd much rather have an hour to spare, I always have my kitting or Kindle if there is nothing else interesting to do while waiting.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
I have my son, his wife, and 1 year old daughter meeting me in Santiago! They are trying to get train tickets from Madrid to Santiago and not having luck with Renfe. Does anyone know if they need...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back