• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Airport timing advice

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
We fly into Madrid at 12.15pm. I see there are two Alsa options for Leon, one leaving at 13.30 and the next at 14.45. Do you think we have time to arrive, clear customs and walk to T4 for 13.30, or should I buy for 14.45?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you need to recover checked baggage, or do you just have carry-on?

You could try for the earlier bus. If you miss it then you are out the fare but it is a drop in the bucket compared to the air fare.

I'm pretty sure I would buy tickets for the 14:45 bus. Don't forget that you also have to go though immigration in addition to customs.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If all goes perfectly, you could make it. But keep in mind 12:15 is when the plane arrives, not when you are getting off. Factor in some time for that. And if you arrive close to other international flights that will means lines at immigration, although my experience is that they tend to move quickly in Madrid.

There are some very long walks, a tram to catch from T4-S to T4, and an escalator or elevator ride before you get to baggage claim and exit arrivals. However, the good news is the Alsa ticket booth and buses will be almost directly in front of you as you come out. All the best, and happy walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks I'll buy for the later one. Much safer, and we do have checked luggage. Last time I took the train, and had half a day in Madrid, so I've never taken the Alsa bus from Madrid before.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'd go for the later bus, I hate the stress of rushing for connections, always have. I'd much rather have an hour to spare, I always have my kitting or Kindle if there is nothing else interesting to do while waiting.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back