• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Al The Optimist starts from Almeria

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
Well that is it then - the Camino Mozarabes is behind me. In Merida after the toughest 400 miles of my life. Twisted ankle, cuts, scratches, grazes, bruises, blisters. Rain, flooded rivers and tough, unforgiving mountains and gorges followed by some unshaded 30 degrees days. NEVER AGAIN! It won easily. I feel beaten but not broken, though I do need some days rest with appropriate entertainment to recover.
Some beautiful scenery in the mind and the camera but each picture was hard won. But hey it is there forever (well until Mr Alzheimer calls). So time to be a tourist - sitting, munching and slurping.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bravo Al! Glad you survived with your humour intact. As time passes I am fining it more and more challenging to walk, letting little things like hills, rain and heat tell me to "quit for the day", "jump ahead". This morning those voices are saying "No more 3 week caminos, stick to 2 weeks". Urgh. Good for you for adding that Camino to your already extensive experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Been wondering how you're doing, Al--thanks for the update.
What an adventure, what a challenge! Well done.
"Beaten but not broken..." And this from a guy who packs very light, and is generally pretty cheerful. Imagine what it'd be like for someone with a heavy pack and sour temperament.
Enjoy the recovery days, Al, and may the rest of the walk be a little less 'interesting'!
Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Felicidades Al! I also felt that way when I arrived in Mérida after 15 days by myself (no other pilgrims from Granada-Mérida).
I felt so happy that I took a selfie of myself smiling and posted it on Facebook - something that I NEVER do!

From now on the going will get easier - at least you will have some company.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well that is it then - the Camino Mozarabes is behind me. In Merida after the toughest 400 miles of my life. Twisted ankle, cuts, scratches, grazes, bruises, blisters. Rain, flooded rivers and tough, unforgiving mountains and gorges followed by some unshaded 30 degrees days. NEVER AGAIN! It won easily. I feel beaten but not broken, though I do need some days rest with appropriate entertainment to recover.
Some beautiful scenery in the mind and the camera but each picture was hard won. But hey it is there forever (well until Mr Alzheimer calls). So time to be a tourist - sitting, munching and slurping.
That's awesome!!!

Awesome. I really am in awe of you and others who can trek alone for so long. I'd love to do it but I doubt I'd be as optimistic as you Al .
Congratulations. The next part will seem like a picnic of company after that.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Al - wow! You sure have 'done it hard'! Have a terrific time in Merida relaxing and recharging the batteries.
Buen Camino -
Cheers, Jenny

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am trying to be sensible (for a change?)
Not walking from Merida to Astorga but being a train and bus tourist to Caceres, Plesencia, Zamora and Leon instead. Hopefully ankle and blisters recovered by then and able to resume with El Salvador.
Fingers crossed.

Time to chill brother n have some fun,keep on keeping on.

Not walking from Merida to Astorga but being a train and bus tourist to Caceres, Plesencia, Zamora and Leon instead. Hopefully ankle and blisters recovered by then and able to resume with El Salvador.
Fingers crossed.

Good plan Al. You will love the Salvador!

'He who travels to Santiago and not to El Salvador honors the servant and not the Master'

Buen Camino
Davey

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Fingers crossed.

Sorry to rain on your parade but you will be missing a beautiful stretch of the way. What about taking a couple of rest days before making a final decision and see how it goes? Buen Camino whatever you decide, SY

Hi Alan, good to hear that you arrived in Merida, just a month behind me. You have overcome all the difficulties and are mentally still going strong.

It seems I was more lucky in April. Less rain and moderate temperatures, never above 25 degrees Celsius. Maybe this worked out good for my feet as I got no blisters or twisted ankles. And I saw more crowd in 27 days: two bikers, one man on horseback and nine hikers (eight of them in Medellin, two days before the end).

Good luck on the rest of your travel.

PS I will post a short report on this forum.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Love your support.
Thanks for thinking of me Rachel. I hope all has gone well for you and yours.
SYates - it will take more than a couple of days (hopefully only a week) and well there is always the future to look forward to?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Also true and I hope your recovery will go much faster! Buen Camino, SY

Al, SYates is right - this is a beautiful stretch. We bussed from Caceres to Banos and today did a gentle 12km to La Cazada de Bejar. It's as pretty as the Primitivo. Maybe worth considering!!!

Well done Al. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well done Al, but I am about 2 days out of Merida having left Almeria on 5 May and reading your message I wondered whether we had travelled the same route. Certainly a couple of rough mountain tracks that almost beat me, and the usual challenging weather conditions. Met 4 British, one French, a couple of Spanish and some cyclists. Quiet but good.

Only met 2 pilgrims along the way. One was a cyclist so lost him the next day. The other was only around two evenings as he was only walking a week.

Al
You're such a friendly chap, I think the time away from people was probably the hardest bit for you.

Certainly a couple of rough mountain tracks that almost beat me, and the usual challenging weather conditions. Met 4 British, one French, a couple of Spanish and some cyclists. Quiet but good.

It was much more encouraging reading how fortunate Sue was with camaraderie on this route.

I think having someone around to share it with (at least at day's end) makes a big difference.
You gave it a great go !

Did you see many red poppies on this route, over this time. My mind's eye imagines these beautiful scenes?

Buen Camino Al
Don't give up - enjoy wherever are from here on .

Annie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am glad you had company Sue. I think my experience was affected by my having to limp most the way. Still after a few days as a towns tourist my ankle is feeling better. I will bus to Zamora tomorrow, give it another couple of days and then all being well resume walking.

Today I have only ambled slowly around Zamora (a beautiful place). However it has been a pain free day for the first time in weeks and I have even regained my appetite. Admittedly I have endulged my foot's addiction to Camino smarties and Voltaron, but it's worth it for the joy of not having pain every second step!
So after that week as a touringo I will walk tomorrow. Fingers crossed time.

Best of luck with the next stage! You just missed the chance to bump into our mutual friend @andy.d who was in Zamora with his wife a couple of days ago. They are buzzing around Spain by train and bus this time :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
the joy of not having pain every second step!
So after that week as a touringo I will walk tomorrow. Fingers crossed time.

Fingers crossed for you Al. You got beaten up a bit on the Mozarabe-(I hadn't realised how much before! ) ., but you're still trying. I hope there are some very short etapas available to test that ankle. Take it easy.
Buen Camino
Annie

Hey Al,
hope you're recovering. I was in Zamora a few days ago on holiday (not walking). Sorry to have missed you.
Go well
Andy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Into Astorga tomorrow! I look forward to some cpany. Foot is just an ache now. Did I crack a bone? But after weeks of my right nursing my left it is now protesting and my heel spur is tweeking the tendon. Managable though.

Glad to hear you are still up and about. Sorry to hear things are still rough though. Remembering the old line: "I have a body like a military academy - bits of it keep passing out." Ultreiea!

Hi Al, I'm just catching up on your camino news. So glad that I no longer need to post with an "oh I'm so sorry" message but can now say "so glad to hear you are ambulatory once again!!!"

Any chance we'll meet on Santiago, now that you've re-arranged your walk? I have July 5 as my hoped-for date. That may be too late for you. Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just catching up with the forum after nearly 5 weeks in Asturias/Galicia/Cantabria. Sorry to hear of your problems Al and trust all goes well for you now.
Buen Camino

Hope all went well for you guys auntie T.
I have decided on trying to be sensible. After a few days chilling with friends in Gijon I decided to go the Norte not the Primitivo. A slow ambled pain free day after Aviles finds me optimistic. (How unusual?) As long as listen to that tendon maybe it will be kind to me?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Al,

Ambling slowly and pain free sounds like a good combo! Do continue to take care of yourself. Watch out for those steep descents others have described along the Norte. Will you start at Irun or elsewhere? Looking forwards to reading your further posts.

Good luck and Carpe diem!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Hope all went well for you guys auntie T.
I have decided on trying to be sensible. After a few days chilling with friends in Gijon I decided to go the Norte not the Primitivo. A slow ambled pain free day after Aviles finds me optimistic. (How unusual?) As long as listen to that tendon maybe it will be kind to me?

:) All went well for us. Just beginning to sort our photos for the blog. This will be a slow process. Considering where best to post the link(s) on the forum as we covered sections of all the various northern Caminos except the Inglés. Then went to the mountains etc.
Take care and hope all goes well for you now - Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back