• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

alarm clock

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
With every cell phone being an alarm clock, it has become a cacophony of dueling ring tones in the morning! You can probably get up to someone else's alarm, but if you can sleep through his to get to your time, have at it.

I set my alarm on my iPod, and slept with my earphones in so I could drift off to sleep with music and drown out the snoring. That way the alarm only woke me up!

A cell phone works fine, but keep it in your pocket or somewhere you can get to it and turn it off as soon as possible. In Sahagun, a Spanish man's alarm went off. It woke up all his neighbors, but he kept snoring through it. Finally, someone woke him up and he had to dig through his bag for several minutes before finding the offending alarm. Pilgrim foul!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You'll have human alarm clocks in the beds around you! :roll:

A simple digital watch works for me. Attached to my wrist or the "headboard". Even better, if I'm on the bottom bunk, I like to fasten my watch to the wiring above with a tuck. In all cases, especially my wrist, it's a quick and easy dis-alarm. I'm up and out within minutes with as little disruption as possible.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had no problem automatically waking up before dawn on my own the entire time :)

paddy25c said:
is it ok to use an alarm clock on the camino , i dont want to wake everybody up @ some ungodly hour

It depends when you want to get up. You usually hear the first set of people getting up at around 5am, and then there are waves of people getting up for the next two hours and then usually a few stragglers left in the hostel at around 8am. If you want to be one of the first group then you will need an alarm(mobile) but if you go later you will be woken up anyway.

OMG - an alarm clock!!! You're on the Camino - not going to the office or running a race.Take it easy! Anne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Paddy25c:

IMO, NO, unless you are staying in private accommodations.

I am completely in agreement with AJ and Anna.

Ultreya,
Joe

Alarm clocks are bad.
Unless of course, you snore.
:)

You will be told very early that it is not on.
The most beautiful sleep was at Ruitelan where you were woken by Ave Maria being piped into the rooms.
You could not leave before 7 am
Please leave the domestic /mundane items at home.
Be at peace on the walk.

On my cellular phone, I used the alarm but set on "only vibrating". And of course blocking all incoming calls. Just perfect to respect the others. I also prepared everything the evening before to sneak out the room with a minimum of noise.

I can't see the problem with a brief alarm, once people are getting up it's always as noisy as an alarm anyway.

But don't do what some young woman did to me in Palas Del Rei albergue. Because it was october and out of season we somehow ended up sharing a room which should have been for 8, all to ourselves.

Her alarm went off at 5.30m, but she kept hitting snooze for the next hour, so that it went off every five minutes, just when I was getting back to sleep. 12 times in all.

It tested my feeling of goodwill profoundly!

paddy25c said:
is it ok to use an alarm clock on the camino , i dont want to wake everybody up @ some ungodly hour

Oh Paddy,
Don't you worry God has devised a range of very special 'Camino alarm clocks' They come in a number of guises and the following list is by no means exhaustive:-

A) The highly organised pilgrim who packs/re-packs every single item in their backpack in special plastic bags that make a brain melting rustling noise worthy of 'black ops'. This activity commences between 4.45-545am so that they can to hit the road at 6am. If the rustling doesn't rouse you the highly efficient item check carried out in a teutonic 'sotto voce' will :evil: .( and I was a bag rustler and item checker in a former life :oops: )

B) The 'bladder the size of a peanut' pilgrim whose nightly visits to the toilet build up to a dawn chorus crescendo between 5 and 6 am :cry: . DON"T PICK THE BUNK NEXT TO THE TOILET otherwise your problem won't be waking up it'll be getting to sleep in the first place!

C) At key stages along the route such as Burgos, Astorga or Sarria where pilgrims join the Camino for the first time or recommence their journey if doing it in stages, there will be the novice alarm clock. These pilgrims are so buzzed up that sleeping in is impossible and their excited chattering and giggles will wake you. The same pilgrims also discover that their new tiny slimline pocket torches have the candle power of stadium floodlights by inadvertently shining them in sleeping pilgrims face- don't worry even if you're not in their range the dazzled victims terrified shrieks will rouse you from the deepest slumber :shock: .

Sleep tight and don't let the bedbugs bite :)

Nell

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
And to think my problem was trying to sleep through all the alarms, rustling bags, and other assorted early morning noises! I've yet to work out why most people wanted to get up to early. I clearly remember a group of women I came across in three or four times who all got up at 5.30am, disturbing all around them, but where still at the albergue two hours later, doing their makeup, when I was preparing to leave; or the pilgrims who rise early only to stop at a bar a few metres away for coffee, and again were still there when I stumbled in. Why??

Trudy

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
thanks for the advice folks , think ill leave the alarm clock @ home, iam starting on the 19th of may , which is also my birthday , cant wait

I used an alarm-clock.
Set it at a time I liked to be on the road, or at breakfast at the least (was it 7:30 ?), just in case I overslept.
Came in handy at St-Jean Pied the port, where everybody overslept.
My wake-up call woke up everybody, including the ones that wanted to walk all the way to Roncesvalles (me: Orisson).
I think I didn't bother anyone.
I did hear a guy whistling the melody whilst getting dressed.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
dutchpilgrim said:
My wake-up call woke up everybody,
I did hear a guy whistling the melody whilst getting dressed.

Awarded the Disco Medal for services to noise pollution.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
annakappa said:
OMG - an alarm clock!!! You're on the Camino - not going to the office or running a race.Take it easy! Anne

I agree and actually, you will be awakened by the hikers who want to greet the sunrise. Happens almost EVERY morning. they will be hiking with head lamps. :lol:

I took ear plugs for the snorers, but was told I snore the loudest. LOL At least I didn't wake myself up!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dutasteride(doo tas' teer ide)

Why is this medication prescribed?

Dutasteride is used alone or with another medication (tamsulosin [Flomax]) to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH; enlargement of the prostate gland). Dutasteride is used to treat symptoms of BPH and may reduce the chance of developing acute urinary retention (sudden inability to urinate). Dutasteride may also decrease the chance that prostate surgery will be needed. Dutasteride is in a class of medications called 5-alpha reductase inhibitors. It works by blocking the production of a natural substance that enlarges the prostate.

You should know that dutasteride is for use only in men. Women, especially those who are or may become pregnant, should not handle dutasteride capsules.
I am baffled trying to reconcile dougfitz's post and the contradictory information on Avodart saying that women should not even touch the capsules widely prescribed for treating the prostate. Perhaps everyone having a prostate gland (only since 2002) is not the same for "everybody."

falcon269 said:
snip
I am baffled trying to reconcile dougfitz's post and the contradictory information on Avodart saying that women should not even touch the capsules widely prescribed for treating the prostate. Perhaps everyone having a prostate gland (only since 2002) is not the same for "everybody."
We risk this becoming far too serious. I don't see the contradiction:
  • BPH is a condition of the male prostrate so far as I can tell. It seems social notions of gender equity are not always shared in the conditions that affect our bodies :(
  • women didn't just suddenly develop a prostrate in 2002 - that was when the FICAT officially renamed the Skene's gland to recognise that it and the male prostrate were different versions of the same gland.

Sojourner47 said:
What has all this got to do with the OP's query about alarm clocks???
My father used to refer to the hydraulic jack alarm clock - when one was driven up by fluid :)

That said, it does appear to have strayed from that original topic.

I didn't bring an alarm clock (nor a cell phone) and had no problems waking up. Your body will learn to wake up on its own and develop its own rhythm. And anyway, you're likely to wake up from fellow pilgrims if you're not up by a certain time-- a room full of people will do that for you :) Commenting on other posts here, I did hear cell phones a few times, but it was all mindful pilgrims who set their cells on vibrate mode so it wasn't as abrupt.

Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...