• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albacete adding waymarks and refuge

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

The City Council signaled the Camino de Santiago as it passes through Albacete
The pilgrimage route associations have also requested the transfer of a hostel for pilgrims to stay overnight
1/29/13 - 1:19 -Ana Martinez | ALBACETE.

The city of Albacete yesterday pledged to make visible the route of the Camino de Santiago that crosses the city from Valencia and Alicante, as well as starting to consider giving a shelter for pilgrims to stay overnight.

Following a meeting with the councilors Urban Mobility and Tourism, Francisco Ortega Navarro and Cesareo, respectively, the Friends of the Camino de Santiago de Albacete Albacete Jacobea Association committed to sharing the route of the path Southeast, leaving from Valencia and Alicante to merge from Chinchilla Montearagón Albacete.

And in his first contact with the government team, each association presented its views on the passage of this route, which will start at the entrance of Albacete Chinchilla and end at the exit of the capital to the genet.

Once the route has been agreed by which this road runs inside the capital, both associations will meet again with the municipal government to determine the signs will be placed to inform the pilgrim who has decided to opt for the path of the Southeast .
Arrows and shells

This is the famous arrows and shells with which has always linked the existence of the Camino de Santiago, tiles and material available to the Consistory the same associations Jacobean, so this signal is held at zero cost for municipal coffers.

The main goal of both groups is to make "visible" the way "invisible" that crosses the capital Albacete, through acquaintances tiles and even with information panels to guide pilgrims where to follow the route out of the city and move to the province of Cuenca. In this regard it should mean that the friends of the Camino de Santiago are well aware that a pilgrim wants to know what is clearly indicating that the direction of the path to get out of town and, if any, the location of a shelter .

Specifically, after defining the layout and install informative signs, associations linked to this pilgrimage route are willing to undertake the management, maintenance and cleaning of a shelter, for what yesterday asked the council and the assignment of a space that can meet logical characteristics of a hostel for pilgrims. Important is to note that this hostel, where the City Council has space available, must be traced over to make it much easier to locate and access.

In recent years, Jacobean routes or branches are gaining much height to occur mass of pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago French. Not surprisingly, in a few years, the Way of Southeastern happened to record some twenty five hundred pilgrims, thereby demonstrating that more and more pilgrims passing through this city and headed for Santiago de Compostela.
http://www.laverdad.es/albacete/v/20130 ... 30129.html

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, falcon,
Thanks again. The un-mangled Castilian version has a statistic that gives me hope -- there are approximately 500 who walk the Levante every year. The English version talks about 2500 pilgrims a year -- wrong -- the Castilian version says that the numbers have grown from twenty to 500 (a year) over just a few years. Even though I'd rather there were 2500 a year, I suppose that even with 500, I've got a reasonable chance of finding some company in May.

Very good news and thanks for the interesting translation!! I loved the bit about pilgrims "building up on the way French". No, but the gist is very serious and my respect and gratitude goes to the tireless "Amigos" out there marking and always trying to improve the way. Laurie, the marking will take you right through the city it seems, but I just wanted to say that in the absence of marking I just used the excellent map, and headed northwest through the city (a couple of km) passing the old ayuntamiento where they gave me a good city map and on towards the Paseo de Cuba, the big avenida which leads out of the city. Just before you get to the Paseo you will see the sign for the Hostal Atienza (or just ask someone near the Ayuntamiento). Good, reasonable and clean hostal and lovely people. Have a walk on the Paseo when you get settled in. There is a huge old flour mill, beautifully restored and now being used as the public library, and across the road in the park is a steam locomotive from the 50's! I nearly envy you, you know. Wish I could do it all again!

Buen Camino,

Kev

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the info on Albacete, Kevin. I have received my guidebook, and have started to fill the margins with all of the notes from you, Andy, and JohnnieWalker. This is one heavy guidebook, but I can't imagine not taking it along. Too bad they don't have a more compact, less glossy walking version.

Your comments here are actually the first nice things I've heard about Albacete. I already knew that it's the "knife capital" of Spain, and the "frying pan" of Spain, but it's nice to know there are some other more pleasant features!

Only a little more than three months for me! Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie,
I liked Albacete - it was a down to earth sort of place. The Hostal I stayed in (s. Agustin) stays with me for comedy reasons (I can pm you the story if you want) and I wouldn't stay there again. I stumbled into a wonderful evening Mass in a modern church (S Joseph).

Lots of works between Chinchilla and Albacete which I expect aren't finished yet. You can see Albacete from the hill Chinchilla is built on, so if the arrows fail, the direction is obvious.

Happy planning!

Andy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.