• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergos! Questions!

kat96

Hi,
Just wanting some advice, we are hoping to book accomodation at SJDP before we arrive as it will be a bit later. I have emailed a couple of places but no one had replied! Can anyone recommend anywhere?!

Secondly we are trying to split the first day,I emailed the orrison albergo and they have said they are closed at present and not sure when would reopen! Does anyone know why they are closed or any other options!
Thank you

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Try Gite Compostela.
gitecompostella@sfr.fr http://gitecompostella.jimdo.com/

Orisson is usually open till late October. I can't imagine why they would be closed now?

You could book two nights at Gite Compostela, walk to Orisson, get a taxi to collect you and take you back to St Jean (or walk the 8km back down the hill) then get a taxi to take you back to Orisson the next day so that you can continue walking to Roncesvalles.

I've done this a couple of times and it works really well! And, you don't have to carry everything in your backpack up to Orisson!

Just booked a night there by email, September 27, without a hitch.
Try again? Call perhaps, at this point.

Best of luck!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you should arrive at SJPdP without a reservation for the night's lodging go directly to the pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They can provide you with a Credential and lodging assistance when you are on site. They keep up to the minute lists of available space throughout the SJPdP area.

These volunteers also help run the municipal albergue at 55 rue de la Citadelle. Recently renovated this is a fine place to stay, but does NOT take reservations. If their albergue is full they will help you find other lodgings.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
HI,
Thanks for the suggestions, finding a lot of things are closed at the end of this month... Any other suggestions about places we can pre-book accommodation at in SJDPDP, as we might be arriving quite late so wanting to have some where organised before hand.
Many Thanks.

kat96 said:
HI,
Thanks for the suggestions, finding a lot of things are closed at the end of this month... Any other suggestions about places we can pre-book accommodation at in SJDPDP, as we might be arriving quite late so wanting to have some where organised before hand.
Many Thanks.

kat96,

Here is the official SJPdP tourist office link listing all the pilgrim albergues in the area. >>
http://www.saintjeanpieddeport-paysbasque-tourisme.com/fr/hebergements/gites-groupespelerins.html

This is their link for all regular accommodation >>http://www.saintjeanpieddeport-paysbasque-tourisme.com/fr/hebergements.html.

Bon voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Therre is a lovely B&B, run by one of our Forum members, in St Jean.
Contact Tim and I'm sure he will have rooms for you.
http://www.errecaldia.com/

Just FYI Orrison closes Oct 12 for the winter.

Zo

zzotte said:
Just FYI Orrison closes Oct 12 for the winter.

Zo
Would that be why I have tried to contact them 3 times via email for May resv. And have not got a reply???? I did email them using the address on their website so I wouldn't think so. I'm writing of Rufuge Orrison.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you should arrive at SJPdP without a reservation for the night's lodging go directly to the pilgrim office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h.

Meredith, Do you know when the pilgrim season begins? We are planning to begin our camino in SJPDP about March 27, 2013, the wednesday before Easter. Any idea what the hours of the pilgrim office are that day/week? thanks

The Pilgrims office in St Jean is open every day of the year except Christmas Day, from 07.30 to 12.30 and 13.30 to 22.00. On Fridays and Sundays it remains open later to deal with pilgrims that arrive on the last train which arrives at 22.27. This is the official answer I obtained by emailing the Pilgrims Office. There is no 'season' except Christmas Day. If in further doubt, email the Pilgrims Office.

I have the very latest edition of the Brierley guidebook, which says Orrison is open all year.
I was a bit chagrined to find that they are indeed closed for the season.
I crossed via the Napolean Route on Oct. 20, in pouring rain, walking slowly because I am a chubby middle-aged lady. I did stop about 45 minutes at Izadorre, a shelter at the top. There is a fireplace (was no wood but some might be found) and benches where one could sleep if needed.
I walked on to Roncevalles, arriving about 7:30 pm a little more than 11 hours after leaving St. Jean.
So it is do-able if you are in decent shape (I did not train for this... just went as I was) unless the weather is terrible. There were only a few minutes when I thought I'd made a bad mistake to take that route.
There are several stopping points along the way on the lower route. The pilgrim office will have all the details.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stayed at Errecaldia before my Camino, and it was a wonderful experience. It's at the very top of the hill, so you pass through both gates as you head out your first day. The hosts were absolutely wonderful, and the accommodations were great.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back