• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue advice

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Meniwalker,

See what I wrote above in post 300396 for good pilgrim albergue stops along this route.

Buen camino to you both!

Margaret Meredith

Don't miss the splendid albergue at Dumbria! It is located on the eastern side of the village next to the local sport hall. If when you arrive the large glass door appears closed just push it, enter and choose a bunk. The helpful hospitalero arrives about 17:00 to stamp your Crendencial and take the fee. Great showers plus sub-floor heat in winter.

MM

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you spend the night in Olveiroa, either in the very nice municipal albergue, or in one of the private places, I think there is only one decent place to eat in town. I don't remember the name of it, but it is in an old stone house (which is also a pension) on the left side on the way out of town, almost to the end.

There are several places in Olveiroa serving french fries and filetes, all are uninspiring. Then last year I was walking with a Portuguese guy who said, oh we have to stop and eat in Olveiroa, and I thought he was crazy. But he took me to that place and it was great. I told the owner that he had changed my impression of the culinary scene in Olveiroa, and the owner then proceeded to insist that I try three or four little bowls or pieces of some of his offerings. Good home cooked food, not fancy, but nothing like the big place at the entrance to town or the place across the street from the albergue.

And since you're walking Muxia to Finisterre, my recommendation is that you take the little detour out to the Lires beach for a cafe at the place right on the water. There's a loop back to the Camino (so no backtracking) and it's one of the few parts of that stretch where you can actually walk along the water. You can also split the stage in two if you want, there are places to stay in Lires.

Laurie,

The good restaurant/pension in Olveiroa is As Pias. I love it also especially the small back dining room with the wonderful fireplace! See www.aspias.net

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I second the recommendations of As Pias. And the Beloved and I really enjoyed Lires. The beach and the beach cafe are worth an afternoon. The maelstrom in the river as the tide rises emphasises the very sound advice "swim where the locals swim".

If you spend the night in Olveiroa, either in the very nice municipal albergue, or in one of the private places, I think there is only one decent place to eat in town. ... There are several places in Olveiroa serving french fries and filetes, all are uninspiring. ... I told the owner that he had changed my impression of the culinary scene in Olveiroa,...

OMG! I am feeling sooo old just now! I remember Olveiroa when there was only the Xunta Refugio, the bar barely served tortillas and not much else. Actually the lady that owned the bar took me shopping to the next supermarket because she hadn't had the time / inclination to cook for pilgrims then. Everything else I got from the passing by bakery and grocery vans. Oops, forgot to mention, I was a hosvol there in 2001 (?or 2000) just after the Xunta refugio opened. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! SY

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I would like to spend a night in Muxia after walking to Santiago but don’t have time to walk there. Rome to Rio says there’s busses twice daily, but if you go to the Monbus website...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.