• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Alpriate closed permanently

Lleslie

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2014 Podiensis 2018 Portuguese 2023
I received an email from the management of the albergue in Alpriate saying it is closed permanently. My tentative plan is to walk to Sacavem or Povoa de Santa Iria then train back to Lisbon or to Vila Franca de Xira and back the next morning to continue where we finished. The youth hostel at Parque Das Nacoes is fully booked for our dates (May 14) but plenty of other hostels in Lisbon. There are a couple of hotels near Alpriate as well. What have others done before or are planning to do for this section? Linda

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The reason the albergue has closed is because the camino is being rerouted away from Alpriate (and Sacavém) in favour of a new riverside exit from Lisbon (after Parque das Nações). I don’t know if the new route will be ready by May but if it is, that should give you more options. My advice would be to stay flexible for now (ie not lock yourself into accommodation bookings) and hope that the new route is ready by the time you start your walk.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thankyou Nick, we will look out for further information. Do you know if they are planning to open an albergue on the new route?

Not that I’m aware of but Alverca do Ribatejo, which has several accommodation options, will now be a more feasible option for the first night out of Lisbon, as the new route will cut the walk to Alverca by quite a few kilometres.

I’m interested in this new route. Any source of information as to when the new route might open. We leave Lisbon on the 6th April but not arranged any 1st/ 2 nd night accommodation. I guess, it being Easter, we should think about booking accommodation sooner rather than later.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Apr 23, on what appears now to be the old route, I walked to Alpriate, then caught a taxi to the station at Povoa, catching the train back to Lisbon. I returned by train the next day and walked on to Vila Franca de Xira. The other time I did this was to break up the leg from Azambuja to Santarem, where I caught a bus at Porte de Muge to the train station near Cartaxo then the train to Santarem. I took the bus to Muge the next day and walked into Santarem on a variant of the Caminho Portugues Central.

This pattern suited my daily walk targets - I no longer plan more than 20 km/day. Although there were a couple of days where I had to exceed that, it was rare to do so.

Last edited:
Not that I’m aware of but Alverca do Ribatejo, which has several accommodation options, will now be a more feasible option for the first night out of Lisbon, as the new route will cut the walk to Alverca by quite a few kilometres.
Have you estimated how much? I ask because I did a quick estimate on Google maps, and it might only make it a couple of km shorter going closer to the river shore. It would still be in the vicinity of 30 km, not enough to make it workable for me. This was measured from the Igreja de Santiago to the Igreja de Pastorinhos.

Thanks jungleboy and dougfitz for your insights - we are hoping to stick around 20 - 23k too and will need to do some too-ing and fro-ing such as dougfitz suggests. An old thread I found on the forum suggested the new route would cut off 7k! Certainly hope it is open by May😊 Linda

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hope its open by April. I will walk to Vasco da Gama Tower on my day off in Lisbon then train back to Lisbon from Oriente station . Next day take the train back to Oriente and start walking. If the new path is open that would make the walk to Vila Franca doable. Fingers crossed.

I feel sorry for the little village, whose residents were so welcoming to pilgrims. And the owners of the bar who did a great job of feeding us with basic home cooked and reasonably priced meals.

The map in Rodrigo’s thread from a few years ago, shows the change. Video also available to show what it will look like.

According to this article in the press, construction began in July 2022 and was expected to take 6 months. 11 million euro budget. I think the odds are pretty good for summer 2023! BTW, as I understand it, this is not a caminho-specific project, but rather an amenity for the people who live there. We will certainly benefit, though.

Thankyou, peregrina2000 for posting the link - that is the thread I had read earlier. Yes, it is sad for the people in Alpriate, they will certainly miss the company and the income of the passing pilgrims.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So that’s why I haven’t received an email back with a reservation for April 11th. Back to the drawing board.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My wife and my two daughters walked from Lisbon last August. I was glad we didn't plan to stay in Alpriate as they only had 9 beds and were full by the time we arrived there. We stayed in Alverca do Ribatejo the first night at the Alpha 10 hostel. It was a long, hot, first day, but it was a wonderful beginning to our journey.

Have you estimated how much? I ask because I did a quick estimate on Google maps, and it might only make it a couple of km shorter going closer to the river shore.
I might be misremembering what the Via Lusitana folks told me but the number that is coming to mind is 8km. But I agree that that is a bigger reduction than seems possible looking at a map.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I might be misremembering what the Via Lusitana folks told me but the number that is coming to mind is 8km. But I agree that that is a bigger reduction than seems possible looking at a map.
I have found a figure of 7 km since I posted my query. That might make it about 25 km from Lisbon to Alverca do Ribotejo, depending on exactly where one starts and finishes the day.

I plan on leaving out of Lisbon around April 19th. Are there any details and recommendations about routes and updates to the routes? I see the first leg is roughly 30km. I booked a place just slightly north of where they suggest staying at a fire station. I prefer places other than fire stations and auberques.

I found out that the local press reported these days on the albergue in Alpriate.
We should keep an eye on local announcements by searching "omirante.pt Vialonga albergue".

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sad for Alpriate. It was a sweet little albergue.

When we stayed there in 2017 we were told the premises were rented. It was a lovely albergue. We were lucky enough to be given two beds on the ground floor.

The local shop across the road and the sports club where we had dinner will certainly miss pilgrim patronage though.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is called Trilho da Ribeira do Tejo and part of the Rota Europeia E7.
This trail is north of Santarem. It is NOT the section being discussed here.
Yes, Doug is correct. There is a thread about the Trilho Panorâmico do Tejo here.

I received an email from the management of the albergue in Alpriate saying it is closed permanently. My tentative plan is to walk to Sacavem or Povoa de Santa Iria then train back to Lisbon or to Vila Franca de Xira and back the next morning to continue where we finished. The youth hostel at Parque Das Nacoes is fully booked for our dates (May 14) but plenty of other hostels in Lisbon. There are a couple of hotels near Alpriate as well. What have others done before or are planning to do for this section? Linda
In Oct 2021, I did what you suggest as your second option given VF de Xira has a very good Apartment/Albergue.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, thinking that is a good option. Even tho the route is now shorter we will probably split it to ease ourselves into it😊

I have very fond memories of staying in the Alpriate albergue - and I even managed to get a sandwich and beer in the hunting club bar opposite (other friendly bar was shut that day).
But the new route looks like it will avoid the area where there had been problems before - the section I didn't enjoy walking alone as a solo female.

But the new route looks like it will avoid the area where there had been problems before - the section I didn't enjoy walking alone as a solo female.
Yes it will. At the Vasco da Gama bridge the new route continues along the river while the old route turned left away from the river towards Sacavém, where the attacks occurred.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
At the Vasco da Gama bridge the new route continues along the river while the old route turned left away from the river towards Sacavém
Could you describe, which way to use behind Sacavem along the river (Tejo)?

Could you describe, which way to use behind Sacavem along the river (Tejo)?
I am also curious about this. Short of building a pedestrian bridge to the east of where the A30 crosses the river, the route shown won't be possible. From memory, the only pedestrian crossing right now is the bridge where the EN10 crosses the Rio Trancao, a little further west.

That said, I am pretty sure this is something that would have been considered, and a solution will be implemented to get pilgrims across without them having to get their feet wet!

I am starting in Lisbon in Mid May 2023. I had planned on spending a night at Alpriate, but now see that it is closed. Has anyone stayed at the Bombeioros in Povoa de Santa Iria? I see in the Village to Village Map Guide, that they have cots and floor space. My first night starting from Lisbon the Pousada de Juventud is booked, so I will be training back, but the bombieros seem like a decent option for the second night. Are there any places to eat in Povoa de Santa Iria?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am starting in Lisbon in Mid May 2023. I had planned on spending a night at Alpriate, but now see that it is closed. Has anyone stayed at the Bombeioros in Povoa de Santa Iria? I see in the Village to Village Map Guide, that they have cots and floor space. My first night starting from Lisbon the Pousada de Juventud is booked, so I will be training back, but the bombieros seem like a decent option for the second night. Are there any places to eat in Povoa de Santa Iria?

The new route out of Lisbon may be open by the time you start - information in these threads

I don't know how old your guide book is, but I have read that staying with the bombeiros is no longer an option, and it's not listed on Gronze.

2023 Village to Village. I guess I will see what happens. It would be nice if the new route opened by mid May

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have very fond memories of staying in the Alpriate albergue - and I even managed to get a sandwich and beer in the hunting club bar opposite (other friendly bar was shut that day).
I start walking from Lisbon on April 19th. A solo female pilgrim. My plan heading to Alpriate as the new route won't be open yet. I've read of the attacks in areas leaving Lisbon and am concerned. I've also been following Portuguese news . Stories of increasing crime.

I start walking from Lisbon on April 19th. A solo female pilgrim. My plan heading to Alpriate as the new route won't be open yet. I've read of the attacks in areas leaving Lisbon and am concerned. I've also been following Portuguese news . Stories of increasing crime.
As much as I hate to admit it, I probably wouldn't walk that section of Sacavem through Alpriate to Alverca on the CP again. I have walked alot alone on caminos and other routes, so walking solo doesn't normally freak me out but I felt very uncomfortable there. I think i would rather take the train out to Alverca even if the attacks there have been isolated incidents untilthenew route opens. I generally found people in Portugal friendly and welcoming, and I really enjoyed the CP!

I walked from SJDP to Santiago in 2016. As a solo female .
I walked then in considerable pain and limitations....this time more so. So I worry that I will appear an easy target for those looking to harm.
Thank you for your suggestion and honesty

I walked then in considerable pain and limitations....this time more so. So I worry that I will appear an easy target for those looking to harm.
I wouldn't over think things. Crime is still relatively low and pilgrims aren't particular targets - but leaving Lisbon like any big city can have dodgy areas, unfortunately the camino skirts an area that might have a dodgy reputation.

I'm starting from Lisbon on 13th April, solo and senior. I will walk up to Vasco da Gama bridge on my day in Lisbon and take the train back . Then planning on taking transport to Alpriate next day and walking to Villafranca where I have a booking. Now not sure !

I'm starting from Lisbon on 13th April, solo and senior. I will walk up to Vasco da Gama bridge on my day in Lisbon and take the train back . Then planning on taking transport to Alpriate next day and walking to Villafranca where I have a booking. Now not sure !
I had zero issues during the walk from Alpriate to Vila Franca de Xira last year. It was a rather pleasant day of walking.

Here's my Find Penguins blog post for that day.

When I faced a similar dilemma last year, I repeated this process. Staying in Lisbon for three nights and Santarem for two, and using public transport to get back and forth. I turned out to be a little more complicated than that at Santarem, but only because I took the opportunity to take the bus out to Muge on the second day at Santarem, where I had stopped at Porto do Muge the previous day.

Will start in Lisbon in mid august and will walk the stretch to Alverca . Anyone heard anything about a new albergue in Alverca ? Can find three hostels but no albergue . Edit , my question is more , now when the albergue in Alpriate is closed and the first stretch is shorter , Alverca might be the first stop for many pilgrims .

Last edited:
Hi
I’m going to walk my first camino starting on 1. May. I Can not find af place to stat for the Night arround Alpriate ? The place a closed? What to do?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi
I’m going to walk my first camino starting on 1. May. I Can not find af place to stat for the Night arround Alpriate ? The place a closed? What to do?
Hi, I’m going to do the same Camino and just realised that I have the same problem… no idea where to stay for the first night. I’m also leaving on the 1. May from Lisbon

Hi
Sorry, I just saw that you wrote this on the 9. April…did you find a solution for the first night? Thank you

I am actually looking into walking the Camino from Lisbon again just to see what properties I can find so I can live and open up to host pilgrims on the route .. anywhere from Lisbon to Ansaio..so far from what I read the albergue in Alpriate is close and since they are rerouting I don't need to look for a property there to fix up to live and host. ...but keeping options open. If anyone knows of any news about the new route/ rerouting updates much appreciated. Otherwise when I walk in June I will see what's there. I have already walked the old route from Lisbon to Fatima.

The reason the albergue has closed is because the camino is being rerouted away from Alpriate (and Sacavém) in favour of a new riverside exit from Lisbon (after Parque das Nações). I don’t know if the new route will be ready by May but if it is, that should give you more options. My advice would be to stay flexible for now (ie not lock yourself into accommodation bookings) and hope that the new route is ready by the time you start your walk.
We are starting Lisbon on April 8 and had not heard anything about the change to the way around Alpriate. Have you got any information if the way has changed and if so where is the actual route please

We are starting Lisbon on April 8 and had not heard anything about the change to the way around Alpriate. Have you got any information if the way has changed and if so where is the actual route please
This is a current thread that has information about the changes here: Starting in Lisbon
And Gronze has information about the new route out of Lisbon

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back