• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Albergue at the Embalse was closed — reopened in Sept. ´18

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrina2000

Staff member
NOTE FROM MODS: As @laineylainey reports in a thread below, the albergue has once again reopened. This albergue reopened last year after a three year closure because of sewer and other infrastructure problems. Since then it has been closed twice, so let’s hope it remains open now.

The article describing the sad death of the German pilgrim near Cañaveral mentioned that the Albergue at the Embalse was closed. We had gone through this a few weeks ago when @Youren2010 was walking through, and had learned that it was in fact open. I sent a message to the guy running the albergue to see whether the report was accurate. He confirmed that yes it is indeed closed. "Avería grave" was all that he said. That means something like serious damage, so who knows what is going on. It has been closed for two weeks and "they are working on it." No date given for reopening, so anyone walking should be careful to check.

Stay hydrated and safe, peregrinos. Buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola @peregrina2000
Hi Laurie this is sad and somewhat, potentially serious news. I suspect you are referring to the Govt concrete establishment nearer to the road or is the former hotel place a bit closer to the water. (Or are in fact both establishments now closed??) Either way it now means that all pilgrims departing Casar de Caceres should be carrying around 3 (or even 4) litres of water if they are walking the VDLP at this time of the year. Cheers from a cold and now drought stricken Oz!!:(

Oh a sad sad storry about the German Pilgrim. And it is kin of a serios problem on the route there. Hopefull there is some more info about reopening.
And as Saint Mike ll mentioned is there any info about the other establishment in the area???

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, the place that is currently closed is the albergue that only recently re-opened after being closed for several years. I stayed there this year and it was up and running and quite nice. They did wash for you, basic meals available, separate male and female rooms, clean bathroms. Even when it was open, many peregrinos walked right by because they didn’t pay attention to the sign pointing off the road to the “albergue turístico,” which is about a 5 minute walk downhill from the highway.

The other place, whose name is/was something like Pesca Evasión is right on the highway and has been closed for a few years to pilgrims. There were people living there when I walked to the albergue but no signs or indication of any commercial enterprise.

Buen camino, Laurie

Any progress on this? I note that while Gronze has it listed as open the comments section has it as closed (as at 14 Aug).

This great but ill fated place has become like a tantalising mirage on the Camino.

Hi, that is potentially bad news. I am walking part of the VdlP next week and am planning staying in Caceres on 24th and then Alcantara on the 25th at the Embalse and following day, Riolobos. Any advice on where to stay instead on Alcantara is the Embalse is still closed? I tried the other place Pesca Evasión but they replies that they don't take 1 night bookings anymore.
Any advice would be great!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi fellow pilgrims.
Please note that thealbergua in Embalse de Alcántara definitely open.
At the moment I am sitting at the terrase overlooking the lake.
It is a lovely spot and a good stop between Cáceras and Csñavetal.
Happy Trail everybody

Hi Flem, thanks for that. Hope to be there on Tuesday, but this heat is making me wonder if I can walk the 30 odd km from Cáceres!!
Buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi lainelainey
Good they will be glad to have pilgrims.
By the way there is a small albergue in Casar de Cáceres with 18 beds. It is some 11km out of Cáceres and 22km until Embalse de Alcántara.
Happy trail - stay safe.

Please see the resource on handling this long stage, if the albergue is closed. Also please note that if you need to phone for help in the area of the many confusing roads snaking around the reservoir, use the km marker posts on the roads to give your position. Sadly the German man who died didn't do this and it took a long time to find him.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This stage is a bit long yes, but the only part I didn't enjoy was the final 6 or 7 km along the road and that was simply because of the heat. The views from the road over the resevoire are stunning. The walk from Cáceres though Casa de Cáceres is really beautiful and I enjoyed it very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back