• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue at the Embalse was closed — reopened in Sept. ´18

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrina2000

Staff member
NOTE FROM MODS: As @laineylainey reports in a thread below, the albergue has once again reopened. This albergue reopened last year after a three year closure because of sewer and other infrastructure problems. Since then it has been closed twice, so let’s hope it remains open now.

The article describing the sad death of the German pilgrim near Cañaveral mentioned that the Albergue at the Embalse was closed. We had gone through this a few weeks ago when @Youren2010 was walking through, and had learned that it was in fact open. I sent a message to the guy running the albergue to see whether the report was accurate. He confirmed that yes it is indeed closed. "Avería grave" was all that he said. That means something like serious damage, so who knows what is going on. It has been closed for two weeks and "they are working on it." No date given for reopening, so anyone walking should be careful to check.

Stay hydrated and safe, peregrinos. Buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hola @peregrina2000
Hi Laurie this is sad and somewhat, potentially serious news. I suspect you are referring to the Govt concrete establishment nearer to the road or is the former hotel place a bit closer to the water. (Or are in fact both establishments now closed??) Either way it now means that all pilgrims departing Casar de Caceres should be carrying around 3 (or even 4) litres of water if they are walking the VDLP at this time of the year. Cheers from a cold and now drought stricken Oz!!:(

Oh a sad sad storry about the German Pilgrim. And it is kin of a serios problem on the route there. Hopefull there is some more info about reopening.
And as Saint Mike ll mentioned is there any info about the other establishment in the area???

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, the place that is currently closed is the albergue that only recently re-opened after being closed for several years. I stayed there this year and it was up and running and quite nice. They did wash for you, basic meals available, separate male and female rooms, clean bathroms. Even when it was open, many peregrinos walked right by because they didn’t pay attention to the sign pointing off the road to the “albergue turístico,” which is about a 5 minute walk downhill from the highway.

The other place, whose name is/was something like Pesca Evasión is right on the highway and has been closed for a few years to pilgrims. There were people living there when I walked to the albergue but no signs or indication of any commercial enterprise.

Buen camino, Laurie

Any progress on this? I note that while Gronze has it listed as open the comments section has it as closed (as at 14 Aug).

This great but ill fated place has become like a tantalising mirage on the Camino.

Hi, that is potentially bad news. I am walking part of the VdlP next week and am planning staying in Caceres on 24th and then Alcantara on the 25th at the Embalse and following day, Riolobos. Any advice on where to stay instead on Alcantara is the Embalse is still closed? I tried the other place Pesca Evasión but they replies that they don't take 1 night bookings anymore.
Any advice would be great!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi fellow pilgrims.
Please note that thealbergua in Embalse de Alcántara definitely open.
At the moment I am sitting at the terrase overlooking the lake.
It is a lovely spot and a good stop between Cáceras and Csñavetal.
Happy Trail everybody

Hi Flem, thanks for that. Hope to be there on Tuesday, but this heat is making me wonder if I can walk the 30 odd km from Cáceres!!
Buen camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi lainelainey
Good they will be glad to have pilgrims.
By the way there is a small albergue in Casar de Cáceres with 18 beds. It is some 11km out of Cáceres and 22km until Embalse de Alcántara.
Happy trail - stay safe.

Please see the resource on handling this long stage, if the albergue is closed. Also please note that if you need to phone for help in the area of the many confusing roads snaking around the reservoir, use the km marker posts on the roads to give your position. Sadly the German man who died didn't do this and it took a long time to find him.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This stage is a bit long yes, but the only part I didn't enjoy was the final 6 or 7 km along the road and that was simply because of the heat. The views from the road over the resevoire are stunning. The walk from Cáceres though Casa de Cáceres is really beautiful and I enjoyed it very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back