• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Availability in Feb/March & Family Prices

Paul_L

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés Feb-April (2015)
Camino Francés March-April (2020)
Hi all,
We are traveling as a whole family, with my wife and 5 children from 3-16 at the time of traveling, and two other adult family members (so a traveling party of 9). We are all excited (except our littlest, who just worries about his next meal!) and will be starting our Camino on or around the 16 Feb next year and have about 2 months. I'm a little concerned when I see that albergues are partially closed and have 16 beds or so open at that time of year. How full are albergues in February/March?

I'm also a touch concerned about price with our group in albergues. Are there family/children prices or are they always flat per bed rates per night?
Thanks in advance!
Paul

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Paul,

Nine people walking the camino in winter is quite an undertaking! Have you walked through snow before? It can be both exhilarating and daunting at the same time.

As you know not all albergues will be open, but the welcome at those albergues which are is often most sincere. Most albergues will usually be heated and/or have blankets. Generally the hospitaleros know who is open on the next stage.

You MUST be prepared for varied weather. Nights can be extremely cold with freezing rain or snow. Learn to read the sky for possible storms, ask locals for advice and take every precaution.

Sillydoll who is a Forum member has compiled encyclopedic information on Winter Walking. Other good accounts of winter walking are by Forum member Kialoa3 in his 2010 and later blogs

In bad weather many steep descents on the camino will be treacherous and following smaller parallel roads might be necessary. Winter 2012/13 the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncesvalles was filled with several meters of snow and in effect closed to pilgrims thus necessitating the use of the Valcarlos alternate; read more here about this hazardous situation

Other difficult stretches after storms might be from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or across the Montes de Oca from Villafranca as well as Monte Irago and, of course, O Cebreiro.

When walking in late autumn/winter only in larger places such as Roncevalles, Logrono and Santo Domingo de la Calzada and, of course, Santiago have I ever seen a cluster of more than 20 pilgrims at one time. It is easy to walk alone and in smaller albergues you may be the only pilgrims.

Twice during winter caminos I have sat out true blizzards; in Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 25, 26, 2006 and Foncebadón, March 5,6, 2009. Even late November 2012 the climb up to O Cebreiro was packed with snow. You can see the snow and read my blog accounts of these three memorable storms here. Luckily open albergues offered welcoming shelter, heat and companionship.

Most of us who walk in late autumn and winter wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Scan the Forum's Equipment topic to see a multitude of varied approaches. Here's mine

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Paul_L,

I walked in February and early March this year. The pilgrim office in SJPDP provided me a list of albergues between there and Santiago, which gave the months and some days each was open. This list was mostly accurate. Most cost between 4 and 6 euros (I don't believe there are family rates, although some might offer discounts for shared private rooms).

In short, open albergues are fewer and farther between in February and March -- as are services such as restaurants (bars), shops, and toilets. Entire towns listed in guides as places to stop were empty.

Some albergues I had planned to stay in were closed the day I arrived, for a festival or some other reason, which meant five or more additional -- unexpected -- kilometers at the end of already long days, or in some cases staying at a pension or hotel at five or more times the cost.

(As a side note, the weather ranges from snow to rain to sun, and morning temperatures often were below freezing, with glare ice on anything smooth, be it roads or walks or cobbles.)

Having raised children, I can imagine some of what you probably will experience. As you prepare -- and I am serious about this -- give thought to how you will coordinate toilet times for your group -- especially the children -- when some albergues have only a few toilets, most require pilgrims to leave by 7:30 am, and some days you might walk three or more hours before finding a public toilet (and consider carrying a trowel to "leave less trace").

I loved February and early March on the Frances, for its solitude (and even the hardships it imposed).

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I forget to mention, while you plan to allow two months to walk, the added time might be irrelevant given some distances between albergues that are open in February and March (and your concern about costs for lodging).

In other words, while you have time to break the walk into shorter stages, many if not most such shorter stages will not end with shelter (or shelter you are able and willing to afford for a group of nine).

Last edited:
In hostales, pensiones etc you can pay for a room/family room. As far as I know in the albergues the rate is always per person/per bed, unless you find a private albergue with 'rooms'.

As we all know the "Weather is a'changing" won't go into why for some reason this issue has turned political, but past experience doesn't count for much anymore. Last year there was snow falling until May and lots and lots and did I mention lots of rain. Two years ago it was very very warm already in March, be prepared for almost anything! I have joined up and walked with groups - it can be very stressful since everybody walks at a different speed, is attacked by hunger or thirst at different times or may need to find a tree very often. Try and fix meeting places according to topography, crossroads, or cafe/bars for a break and do agree on an albergue for the evening so everyone can come in at their own speed. Private albergues can handle a phone reservation for 9 people, municipal and junta albergues work on first come first in basis and may be a problem for a group wishing to stay together.Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you to all for your ideas. We have walked in snow before, but only along routes that we are very familiar with, we've never had to worry about getting lost in the snow. Getting lost in snow is a concern, but is understand that we will also be well guided by hospitaleros and will be conservative with our decisions.
We are going down the layering path, and living in the snowy mountains in NSW, Australia we are familiar with dressing to shed layers. It feels silly saying it, but I'm really touched by your lengthy response Margaret. I respect your experience tremendously and have avidly shared your blog with my wife, as creepy as that sounds!
The reminder to be careful with toilet breaks was uncannily timely, as about three hours before writing I was facing that issue in a light shower about 5km from the nearest toilet on a bushwalk with my son! It won't be so easy as in the Australian bush I imagine.
I hadn't considered the limit of open albergues being a determining factor in our daily distances. It has gotten me searching for information in another direction, and I'm very grateful for it. I suspect that a lot of our concerns regarding precise prices for families and availability will only really be answered on the camino.
Thank you again to all.

Hi Paul_L (which are my son's first name and middle initial, btw!) - you should look for posts by Kiwi-Family, who walked with 11 or 12 family member, IIRC, although not in the winter. You can probably get a lot of good ideas from their experience. Good luck and buen camino!

Hi! Margaret has covered almost everything! All I can add is that I have walked with children on two occasions (2012 and 2014 - 8 kids plus hubby and Grandpa the first time, four kids and me this year). We only encountered one place that offered child rates - on the way to Fisterra!
All the best.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.