• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Availability?

lindam

Time of past OR future Camino
Fr, VDLP, Invierno, Port, Madrid, Ingles, Aragones
Already thinking about our Camino plans for next spring, we are considering repeating the Catalan/Camino Aragones route and then returning home to Barcelona along the Camino Ignaciano. I am wondering if anyone could comment on the availability of albergues along the Camino Ignaciano route? Also, when albergues are not available, what is the general cost for other types of accommodation (e.g., pensions, hostels, etc.) along this route? Thanks for any ideas you might have!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have been disappointed to see so few postings for the Camino Ignaciano. I begin that Camino in Loyola in a few days, September 13, and I find it difficult to pinpoint places to stay in several of the early stages. If others have walked from Loyola to Logrono, please advise. Two places on suggested stages 2 and 3 without accommodations are Alda and Araia. Instead, it appears there may be place in San Roman de Millan and San Vincente de Arana. Can anyone please advise us?

I’ll be walking Logroño to Loyola in April 2020 - any help on accommodations that you experienced would be greatly appreciated!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’ll be walking Logroño to Loyola in April 2020 - any help on accommodations that you experienced would be greatly appreciated!
We took the bus from Logroño to Loyola to begin our walk on the Ignatian route. While on the route, you may find this website to be helpful: https://caminoignaciano.org/. Happy planning.

We arrived by plane in Bilbao, took the bus right outside the door of the airport to San Sebastian, then another bus to Loyola. Very quick, easy and cheap.

We went to the small tourist office right in front of the basilica, asking about accommodations. She lamented that both the website -- caminoignaciano.org -- and the guidebook were 4 years out of date. I wrote a long message to Fr Jose Ibereri, the creator of the route, and Chris Lowner, the author of the guidebook, with all my corrections noted when I finished the walk.

Check with the tourist office, but be advised: There are only albergues in Loyola and Arantzazu, and the latter is 13 euros for a bed. There is supposed to be one in San Vincente de Arana but we never could find it. We stayed in pensiones and hotels enroute. In Zumarraga, a delightful town, a local man seeing we were pilgrims, took us first to the Pension Balentina, but it was closed. He then took us to the Pension Urola, which was very nice and also near the end of the city, so it was quick trip to the trail in the morning. The walk to Arantzazu is the toughest we have done on any of the 8 caminos we have walked. 4 hour steep uphill on a rocky trail followed by a 2000 ft steep, slippery downhill. We stayed in the albergue in Arantzazu which is lovely, 56 beds, no one there, free breakfast. But at 13 euros, overpriced. But everywhere else there is much more expensive. The next day's walk ranks as one of the most beautiful of any camino...period. We stayed in Alda at the Casa Rural Biltegi Exter. Wonderful communal meal that evening. The next day we took a short walk to stay in Genevilla. We splurged and stayed at the Casa Rural Usagietta, a five-star accommodation. If you can afford it, stay there. It was unforgettable. The next day we did the 28km walk to La Guardia, a drop dead gorgeous city...like Tuscany in Spain. We stayed at the Casa Rural Erletxe, in the heart of the old city. After that, you join the Camino Frances at Navarette, where there are a number of albergues. Ditto for Logrono.

Buen camino!

Fabulous details on the accommodations! Thank you! Been visiting the outdated website which does not match up with places I can see on google.maps, so it’s been a bit frustrating. We’ll be walking TO Loyola, so that slippery downhill section will be an uphill slog (pray for us!)

What month did you walk? And did you prebook or just arrive? We’re comfortable “winging it” but it’s helpful knowing where the next place to sleep is located. 🤔

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Fabulous details on the accommodations! Thank you! Been visiting the outdated website which does not match up with places I can see on google.maps, so it’s been a bit frustrating. We’ll be walking TO Loyola, so that slippery downhill section will be an uphill slog (pray for us!)

What month did you walk? And did you prebook or just arrive? We’re comfortable “winging it” but it’s helpful knowing where the next place to sleep is located. 🤔
We walked in mid-September this year, 2019. We reserved online when we could or called ahead. Forgot to mention that we stayed near San Roman de Millan at Pension El Ventorro. Basically a truck stop. Off the camino but nowhere else near. Staff was delighted to host pilgrims. Wonderful meal, excellent room.

You should reserve. Not a Camino to wing it. We took a bus after Logrono to Madrid and then walked the Camino del Madrid. We winged it on that one since there were plenty of albergues.

Thank you for all the information. We will be walking in April 2020 - look for a “Live from the Camino” then! Per your suggestion, we will book ahead.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back