• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue capacity from Sarria to Santiago in August

L B

Time of past OR future Camino
the french way
Hello everyone!
Due to the lack of free time I'm planning to only walk a shot way from Sarria to Santiago. I'm planning to go sometime in mid August but I was wondering if it's possible to do it without making prior reservations at the albergues? I really want to enjoy my walk and go as far as I feel like everyday without having to stick to a strict plan and stop when I want to but because this time of the year is so busy, would this be too risky? Can a situation where simply all beds at the albergues are taken arise?

Thank you for your time!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I did the Sarria to Santiago last year in Sept and didn't book a bed. However, I got the last bed twice in 5 days of walking. Not good odds if you ask me.

I strongly suggest you book ahead! Try this app of an android device as it has all the contact details for every hostel/albergue - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.moemke.android.mycamino

It's free.

No way to really predict how full the albergues will be when you walk between Sarria and Santiago. I always found a bed at an albergue on that stretch when I walked it in August.
If you have the means of making reservations and that stretch is really busy when you are there, I say sure why not. Go ahead and do it when you feel you need to. If that stretch isn't that busy, and you will be able to gauge it, walk without reservations.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I like, too, to walk without a set schedule. But the experience (a couple of times, in early October) of looking for a bed, very tired, and receiving two or three times the "sorry, we are completo" answer was not exactly pleasant.
I suggest:
Make a sketchy plan of your daily journey. Avoid "standard" stops (Portomarín, Palas de Rei, Arzúa, Pedrouzo), where everybody is looking for a bed. Prefer little villages.
In the morning, think again about the distances, how your body feels, the weather, decide and phone to make a reservation. This will give you both some flexibility and peace of mind.
If you are still in the Camino around 4 PM, call again to confirm your arrival. Sadly, many walkers change their mind but not notify the albergues; owners know that and tend to give the available beds after some time.

Sarria to Santiago is the most crowded, the Xunta (municipal) albergues open up at 1300 and fill up quickly, usually within an hour after opening since they are the cheapest, then the larger private albergues are also subject to having large blocks of beds booked by school groups.
I say at 1200-1300, start calling to the next town you think you'd like to stay at and reserve, the crowds of the last 100km doesn't allow you to be spontaneous and walk till 1600-1700 and easily find a bed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
........ if it's possible to do it without making prior reservations at the albergues? I really want to enjoy my walk and go as far as I feel like everyday without having to stick to a strict plan and stop when I want to but because this time of the year is so busy, would this be too risky? Can a situation where simply all beds at the albergues are taken arise?....!

One thing not stressed is your financial situation. In May of this year, when I found albergues full, I up'ed the price of what I was willing to spend for lodging. Usually in most places, there are accommodations, just maybe not at the lowest prices. So, if you have a little extra money, and you follow the advice of others in this series of posts, you should probably be fine. Also even when I heard the word "completo" people usually had suggestions of places to try, although I usually used a guide book recommendation to go to or call an alternate lodging. Good luck.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back